The Student Room Group

Will these subjects hinder me when applying for Psychology at university?

Hi there. I just finished year 12 having studied Psychology, Sociology, Religious Studies (Ethics and Philosophy modules), History and EPQ. I'm currently facing a bit of a dilemma. I plan to study psychology at university, however I have noticed many unis ask for at least one, maybe two sciences. Don't ask me why, at the time I didn't know what I wanted to do at uni and so I chose these subjects that I enjoy. It's not that I wasn't capable, I was. I got an A* in Core Science, and A in Additional Science at GCSE.
I am now planning to drop a subject for year 13. It is between Religious Studies and History. Only problem is, my sixth form didn't enrol us for the AS exam in History so if I drop it, it is a year wasted. I think I have a better chance of getting a good grade in RS too, simply because it's more my thing. I'm worried that if I drop history, all my subjects will be 'soft', and beside an applicant who has studied Maths, Biology, and Chemistry, I may not do as well. Advice?
Reply 1
Original post by Opulent
Hi there. I just finished year 12 having studied Psychology, Sociology, Religious Studies (Ethics and Philosophy modules), History and EPQ. I'm currently facing a bit of a dilemma. I plan to study psychology at university, however I have noticed many unis ask for at least one, maybe two sciences. Don't ask me why, at the time I didn't know what I wanted to do at uni and so I chose these subjects that I enjoy. It's not that I wasn't capable, I was. I got an A* in Core Science, and A in Additional Science at GCSE.
I am now planning to drop a subject for year 13. It is between Religious Studies and History. Only problem is, my sixth form didn't enrol us for the AS exam in History so if I drop it, it is a year wasted. I think I have a better chance of getting a good grade in RS too, simply because it's more my thing. I'm worried that if I drop history, all my subjects will be 'soft', and beside an applicant who has studied Maths, Biology, and Chemistry, I may not do as well. Advice?

It probably won't hinder you as long as you show that you are able to study psychology in a rigorous scientific manner in your personal statement. I've been having trouble deciding whether to drop history or RS to study psychology too, but I've been told by several people that both are perfectly appropriate for studying psychology at uni. I'd definitely keep psychology and sociology as those are your two sciences, but it's good you're studying a humanity too as many psychology courses appreciate a science and humanities mix. Personally, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Talk to a teacher or admissions tutor to make sure though!
Reply 2
Original post by Darelz
It probably won't hinder you as long as you show that you are able to study psychology in a rigorous scientific manner in your personal statement. I've been having trouble deciding whether to drop history or RS to study psychology too, but I've been told by several people that both are perfectly appropriate for studying psychology at uni. I'd definitely keep psychology and sociology as those are your two sciences, but it's good you're studying a humanity too as many psychology courses appreciate a science and humanities mix. Personally, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Talk to a teacher or admissions tutor to make sure though!
Do you mind me asking what other subject/s you study and what universities you plan on applying to?
Reply 3
Original post by Opulent
Do you mind me asking what other subject/s you study and what universities you plan on applying to?

Not at all! I study psychology, biology, RS, and history. I'm going to drop history as long as I have good RS grade in the AS exams. I'm applying for Oxford, Durham, York, and Warwick (haven't decided 5th yet).
Reply 4
Original post by Darelz
Not at all! I study psychology, biology, RS, and history. I'm going to drop history as long as I have good RS grade in the AS exams. I'm applying for Oxford, Durham, York, and Warwick (haven't decided 5th yet).
Oh, that's super insightful! Nice to see someone else with similar subjects and goals, haha. I'm considering UCL, KCL, Leicester, Bath (and equally haven't decided on a 5th). Good luck!
Your choices will be fine - psychology counts as a science subject in this case. I did psychology sociology RS and English lit/lang at A level and currently study a psychology joint honours degree at uni
Original post by Opulent
Reply 6
Original post by Opulent
Oh, that's super insightful! Nice to see someone else with similar subjects and goals, haha. I'm considering UCL, KCL, Leicester, Bath (and equally haven't decided on a 5th). Good luck!

Good luck getting into your unis too, you can do it! :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by AmyPilot
Your choices will be fine - psychology counts as a science subject in this case. I did psychology sociology RS and English lit/lang at A level and currently study a psychology joint honours degree at uni

Ooh, nice. Where do you study? Are you enjoying it?
No they will not. I studied psychology, history, English language and literature and philosophy, and dropped history after my first year. I got offers from Birmingham, Warwick, Nottingham and Manchester for psychology, all requiring AAB grades. In March, I realised my passion lied elsewhere than the wonderful world of psychology, so now I will be doing mechanical engineering with a foundation year at one of those universities. I hope that helps in alleviating any doubt x
I study Psychology and Speech Pathology (speech and language therapy) - just done my 2nd year of a 4 year course. This year has mostly been psychology and yes I am enjoying it. The next 2 years will be quite intense though with the emphasis more on the speech therapy side including lots of clinical placements. I am at MMU (the only uni that offered the joint course - my other choices were for straight speech therapy). Good luck with your upcoming application and for getting the grades. What grades do they ask for?
Original post by Opulent
Ooh, nice. Where do you study? Are you enjoying it?
Reply 10
Original post by AmyPilot
I study Psychology and Speech Pathology (speech and language therapy) - just done my 2nd year of a 4 year course. This year has mostly been psychology and yes I am enjoying it. The next 2 years will be quite intense though with the emphasis more on the speech therapy side including lots of clinical placements. I am at MMU (the only uni that offered the joint course - my other choices were for straight speech therapy). Good luck with your upcoming application and for getting the grades. What grades do they ask for?

Woops, sorry for the late response. I'm glad you're enjoying :smile: UCL and KCL are AAA-A*AA, Bath I believe is A*AA and Leicester is AAB.

Quick Reply

Latest