The Student Room Group

Summer after finishing A levels

Hey guys, is there anything extra circular i should be doing after applying for economics and finishing A levels. My parents and sister just keep moaning and seem jealous of all the spare time i have had, i got an unconditional offer so they are saying you should make the most of the summer expanding the CV for a job otherwise i would have no one who would write me a reference but isn't it actually DURING Uni where you gain all the experience ect...
Like my sister even recommended applying for an apprenticeship interview just so i get the experience even though my uni place is secured :s-smilie:
Original post by alexp98
Hey guys, is there anything extra circular i should be doing after applying for economics and finishing A levels. My parents and sister just keep moaning and seem jealous of all the spare time i have had, i got an unconditional offer so they are saying you should make the most of the summer expanding the CV for a job otherwise i would have no one who would write me a reference but isn't it actually DURING Uni where you gain all the experience ect...
Like my sister even recommended applying for an apprenticeship interview just so i get the experience even though my uni place is secured :s-smilie:

Its up to you really, there isn't anything you need to do but getting some work experience wont do you any harm.
Reply 2
Original post by alexp98

Watch/read the news. You don't need to do this every day, but try to have an awareness of what's going on. You might find some of your modules do talk about current happenings, so it will help to have an understanding.

Some people do start part time jobs (eg in retail) but it might be a bit late to find something now. Generally, people do this to earn money rather than directly related to the degree.
I got my first summer job between finishing school and uni. The earlier you can start getting some work experience of any sort, the easier it becomes to get jobs. It also gave me something to come back to each summer to top up my funds which was very useful. Earning money before starting uni is never a bad thing, I reckon I blew a huge amount of the money I earned over the summer in fresher's week alone, so even if you think you don't need the money, you'll go through it faster than you think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by hermitthefrog
I got my first summer job between finishing school and uni. The earlier you can start getting some work experience of any sort, the easier it becomes to get jobs. It also gave me something to come back to each summer to top up my funds which was very useful. Earning money before starting uni is never a bad thing, I reckon I blew a huge amount of the money I earned over the summer in fresher's week alone, so even if you think you don't need the money, you'll go through it faster than you think

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thanks a lot for the help I'll see what's available although I may have left it to late for this year but will certainly look into it next
Original post by alexp98

Hey! If you want to spend your free time being productive this Summer, we recommend volunteering. It looks great on your CV, which it does, but it can also be incredibly rewarding and, let’s face it, the world needs more selfless people. Whatever skills and experience you have, there’s always something you can do. Maybe help out with fundraising for a charity or local event. You’ll be surprised how good you'll feel when donating time to something you really care about. Just make sure you get stuck in because, at the end of the day, you get out of it what you put in.

Or how about learning a new language? It could help you go abroad to either study or work once you’ve graduated, which could involve living in a different country.

There's some more ideas here too: www.bcu.ac.uk/productive-summer

Quick Reply

Latest