The Student Room Group

UK Cambridge student looking to apply for residency in the US

Hey guys, I just finished my 4th year at Cambridge medical school (Out of 6). I really want to go to the US for residency and I eventually want to do cardiology. I've been using USMLE resources for some time now. I initially wanted to sit STEP1 at the end of 5th year and STEP2 at the end of 6th year but doing this I could only match an year later. I would have to work as an FY1 for 1 year but I wouldn't even be able to complete it because it is August to August and US residency starts in July. So it would essentially be a more or less wasted year plus I really don't want to work in the UK as a doctor. So I thought I could sit both USMLE step 1 and 2 next year. I know this is hard but I am confident in my ability to do well. Doing this would allow me to apply at the beginning my 6th year in December and match in March, finish med school in June and go to US in July. I am planning to go to US for my elective next year as well and do something in cardiology. My questions are:

1. Is it possible to apply like this? I understand there might be a problem with the ECFMG certificate which you only get after finishing med school and some programmes might want you to have it by the time you apply? Will I be able to match with good IM (internal medicine) programmes?
2. What would be an optimal spacing of USMLE exams including STEP 2 CS so that I can maximise study time?
3.How important is going to a prestigious IM residency in order to then match to a good cardiology fellowship?
4.How is Cambridge medical school regarded in the US? How much do my results here matter?
5.Finally, any idea about good cardiology electives that I might apply to?

Thank you so much. I have been searching the forums like a fanatic trying to find out these things or someone who might be able to answer my questions. I would be eternally grateful for any input.
Reply 1
Stop trying to earn loads of money and just go into finance man.
Reply 2
Original post by Arbe
Stop trying to earn loads of money and just go into finance man.

It's not even about that. It's mostly about how **** the training pathway is and about how every doctor hates the NHS, among other stuff:frown:
Reply 3
Original post by Mithrans93
It's not even about that. It's mostly about how **** the training pathway is and about how every doctor hates the NHS, among other stuff:frown:

Lol the training pathway for Cardiology in this country is not ****. If you end up working in somewhere like UCLH (Heart Hospital) etc and do a good number of private angios or a lot of cath lab work in EP, you'll make enough money. You won't make much more in America.

My advice is that unless you have family there or a set up there, there is no real reason to move there professionally. At junior levels we are better paid. There are other countries in the world like Oz or Canada with much better work/life balance.

If there is a significant financial motivation then i suggest after you finish finals, look for an internship in the city and complete FY1 and LEAVE. Leave now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending