The Student Room Group

Help i want to get into medicine!!!

Hi all,
i want to get into medicine however my GCSE are way lower then they should be. I have a genuine passion i have even done a week work experience at a hospital and am currently doing charity work for St Giles Hospice. I really want to do medicine but i feel like even if i get AAA in my A-levels which are Biology Chemistry Maths it still won't matter
I have(for my GCSE's):
2 B's Maths and Biology
5 C's Chemistry + other including English
2 D's
(edited 7 years ago)
Ok so:

1. Check universities' entry requirements as a lot require a B or above in English Language. You can then apply to those which require only a C or have no requirement, or you could resit and then apply (with a hopefully higher grade) to universities which allow GCSE resits.

2. Make sure you get predicted AAA. Without these predictions, there is no point in applying so getting AAA predicted is essential due to the high competition.

3. Focus on UKCAT (and possibly BMAT). Some universities place a lot of importance on GCSE grades - in your case it definitely would not be advisable to apply there, whereas others place a lot of importance on UKCAT. Your best bet is to do well in these aptitude tests and apply tactically to UKCAT/BMAT universities (providing that you still meet their GCSE entry requirements).

It is not impossible, but will be difficult. Work hard and you have a shot.

Edit: as @adesola15 mentions above, if you fit these criteria you could be eligible for widening participation schemes which make it easier for candidates with lower grades (but who have gone to underperforming schools and/or are from deprived areas) to get in.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by adesola15
Do you come from an underprivileged area, or a low-performing school?

You could say that, yes
Original post by hannahzamir786
You could say that, yes

You should look into foundation years, especially if you got higher grades than most in your school.

http://www.medschools.ac.uk/Students/Courses/Pages/FoundationPre-clinicalyear.aspx
Do you think its wise if i don't get in next year to ttake a gap year to resit some GCSE's privately to achieve better grade?
Original post by hoafanuk
Ok so:

1. Check universities' entry requirements as a lot require a B or above in English Language. You can then apply to those which require only a C or have no requirement, or you could resit and then apply (with a hopefully higher grade) to universities which allow GCSE resits.

2. Make sure you get predicted AAA. Without these predictions, there is no point in applying so getting AAA predicted is essential due to the high competition.

3. Focus on UKCAT (and possibly BMAT). Some universities place a lot of importance on GCSE grades - in your case it definitely would not be advisable to apply there, whereas others place a lot of importance on UKCAT. Your best bet is to do well in these aptitude tests and apply tactically to UKCAT/BMAT universities (providing that you still meet their GCSE entry requirements).

It is not impossible, but will be difficult. Work hard and you have a shot.
Compared to a lot of people i did pretty well only a couple of people achieved A's no one got A* AND ONLY 23% got A*-C grades including English and Maths
However my GCSE are not as good as they want

Original post by adesola15
You should look into foundation years, especially if you got higher grades than most in your school.

http://www.medschools.ac.uk/Students/Courses/Pages/FoundationPre-clinicalyear.aspx
Reply 6
Do you think its wise if i don't get in next year to ttake a gap year to resit some GCSE's privately to achieve better grade?

I think most, if not all, med schools will not accept GCSE resits...

I'm not 100% certain on that though, but it seems to be the most likely scenario.

If you don't get in this year you may well choose to take a gap year to reapply anyway. I think resitting GCSEs are an option to look into but only a few universities will accept GCSE resits. The main one I'd focus on resitting would be the C in English as this is what could hold you back the most. If you choose to resit this, I wouldn't resit during your gap year, I'd do it during your A2 so that if you do reapply you'll already have your resit result.
Original post by Gogregg
I think most, if not all, med schools will not accept GCSE resits...

I'm not 100% certain on that though, but it seems to be the most likely scenario.

Hmm you have a point. Im in a predicament now.

To the best of my knowledge, I believe Cardiff do but they have a GCSE heavy selection process. I think there are some universities that accept Cs in English, such as Aberdeen.

That said, though, all is not lost. Maybe apply this year, but look very closely at entry requirements to see whether they rank/score GCSEs, or if they just want a minimum baseline performance. You'll most likely have special consideration due to the school you went to.
If it doesn't go well this year, apply with achieved A2 grades (if they are good enough), I think quite a few med schools overlook GCSEs for A2s, but I may be wrong. I may be confusing that with Graduates...
Original post by hoafanuk
If you don't get in this year you may well choose to take a gap year to reapply anyway. I think resitting GCSEs are an option to look into but only a few universities will accept GCSE resits. The main one I'd focus on resitting would be the C in English as this is what could hold you back the most. If you choose to resit this, I wouldn't resit during your gap year, I'd do it during your A2 so that if you do reapply you'll already have your resit result.

Sounds like a plan but i would have to do it privately
Original post by Gogregg
That said, though, all is not lost. Maybe apply this year, but look very closely at entry requirements to see whether they rank/score GCSEs, or if they just want a minimum baseline performance. You'll most likely have special consideration due to the school you went to.
If it doesn't go well this year, apply with achieved A2 grades (if they are good enough), I think quite a few med schools overlook GCSEs for A2s, but I may be wrong. I may be confusing that with Graduates...

Okay thank you all for the advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending