The Student Room Group

There is no such thing as 'islamophobia'

Islamophobia is a non-word, it has no real meaning.

I feel like it is a term used to silence those who rightfully want to criticise Islam and it's teachings, which of course is completely normal, healthy and of course acceptable.

Islamophobia, to me, means an 'irrational fear' of Islam. This is what a phobia means.

But then I can say, most people's fears of Islam isn't 'irrational' - they're completely rational and well-thought.

Why? Well, no religion is backed by science and fact. So of course, teachings stemming from a 'holy' book raises a warning sign above my head.

Why should I accept these teachings as a normal thing?

Also, we need to stamp out bigotry espoused by religions.

No religion should have access to bigotry, to a higher platform which safeguards their discriminations and narrow-minded viewpoints.

This goes for ALL religions.

I hope time is up for the illogical and the irrational.

This is why 'Islamophobia' is a moot word.

Scroll to see replies

Agreed.
Well, that is obviously false .

If someone goes and tears a hjab off a persons head or fire bombs a mosque then I think it is safe to say that is "Islamophobic".

Now, there are plenty of criticisms of Islam to be made from the founder to the present day attitude of some to terrorism.

However, I am not going to bury my head in the sand and pretend that Muslims are not subject to unjust harassment due to a irrational fear of their religion.
(edited 7 years ago)
Katie Hopkins, why are you now on The Student room?
Original post by clonedmemories

She's no longer relevant elsewhere.
Reply 5
Original post by DorianGrayism
Well, that is obviously false .

If someone goes and tears a hjab off a persons head then I think it is safe to say that is "Islamophobic".

Now, there are plenty of criticisms of Islam to be made from the founder to the present day attitude of some to terrorism.

However, I am not going to bury my head in the sand and pretend that Muslims are not subject to unjust harassment due to a irrational fear of their religion.

I agree with the hijab situation, I understand that is a hate-crime and unacceptable.

But on the topic of hijabs, isn't this piece of equipment sexist? It's sole purpose is to cover the woman. Why don't men wear this piece of clothing? The status of women in Islam is a very worrying one, anyway..

Sorry, but there is no such thing as an irrational fear of a religion.

It's like saying you have an irrational fear of fairies, pixies or the ginger bread man.

Ideologies that require zero per cent evidence and fact does not make someone, an unbeliever, fear them 'irrationally'.
Reply 6
Original post by clonedmemories

Stop with the name-calling and have a grown up conversation about this issue, please.
Oh come on, it doesn't actually mean irrational fear.

I'm terrified of Christians - the Westboro Baptist Church seem like right fascist nutters. Pretty rational to dislike all Christians, right?
Original post by D00
I agree with the hijab situation, I understand that is a hate-crime and unacceptable.

But on the topic of hijabs, isn't this piece of equipment sexist? It's sole purpose is to cover the woman. Why don't men wear this piece of clothing? The status of women in Islam is a very worrying one, anyway..

Sorry, but there is no such thing as an irrational fear of a religion.

It's like saying you have an fear of fairies, pixies or the ginger bread man.

Ideologies that require zero per cent evidence and fact does not make someone, an unbeliever, fear them 'irrationally'.

I don't particularly understand your response here.

I am not talking about the reasoning for wearing a hjab. I am saying the action of tearing off the hjab is driven by Islamophobia.

People have a fear of things that do not exist all the time ( IE Ghosts).

People also have a fear of Islamisation and therefore, that results in them attacking Muslims physically.

I am not here to say YOU are Islamophobic. I completely agree with your line of questioning with regards to religion and etc. However, some people's fear of Islam leads to them to take irrational positions ( IE violence)
I think the correct term is not Islamophobic as this means fear of Islam. Maybe Islamohatic?
Reply 10
Original post by DorianGrayism
I don't particularly understand your response here.

I am not talking about the reasoning for wearing a hjab. I am saying the action of tearing off the hjab is driven by Islamophobia.

People have irrational fears of things that do not exist all the time ( IE Ghosts).

People also have an irrational fear of Islamisation and therefore, that results in them attacking Muslims physically.

I am not here to say YOU are Islamophobic. I completely agree with your line of questioning with regards to religion and etc. However, some people's fear of Islam leads to them to take irrational positions ( IE violence)

I agree, snatching a hijab off a woman is an irrational act of violence and harassment. Of course, this should be condemned.

But disliking Islam itself is not irrational. Because being against sexism, homophobia, illogical statements and the irrational, a cellestial dictatorship and egotisical desert dwellers who proclaim themselves to be a prophet is not a "phobia", it's common-****ing-sense.
To answer the OP, I hate the term with a passion but I think it's possibly just us being pedantic, bigger picture considered. Taken literally, phobia = irrational fear, and if you were to go up to someone of the Islamic faith, rip off their hijab, spit on them and call them a derogatory term based solely on their religion, I obviously wouldn't say you're scared of them - it's much more of a hate crime than anything. That said, it's just a term used for simplicity, anti-Islam doesn't quite roll off the tongue as well I guess.
Islamophobia describes fear and hatred of Islam and Muslims. There are deeply prejudiced people who fear and hate Islam and/or Muslims. So islamophobia exists.

Just because the OP claims not to be one, doesn't mean no one is one.
Original post by ODES_PDES
I think the correct term is not Islamophobic as this means fear of Islam. Maybe Islamohatic?

The '-phobia' suffix denotes fear, dislike, hatred and aversion. It is appropriate.
Reply 14
Original post by RayApparently
The '-phobia' suffix denotes fear, dislike, hatred and aversion. It is appropriate.

No, -phobia means an irrational fear.

How can you have an irrational fear over an irrational religion?
So what would you call the people who attacked and killed innocent Muslims after 9/11 happened? They were Islamophobic and you can not say otherwise.
Absolutely agree, it's a non word. Hatred toward Muslims is anti-Muslim bigotry, not Islamophobia because Islam =/= Muslims.
Reply 17
Original post by george_c00per
So what would you call the people who attacked and killed innocent Muslims after 9/11 happened? They were Islamophobic and you can not say otherwise.

What do you call the term 'infidel' in the Quran, labelling those who aren't Muslim?

Is this humanphobia?
(edited 7 years ago)
It was invented by leftists as a form of propaganda or essentially mind control. You can read about it here:

http://www.runnymedetrust.org/uploads/publications/pdfs/islamophobia.pdf

It actually buys into playing the race card and victim identities by calling verbal abuse "violence".
Original post by D00
I agree, snatching a hijab off a woman is an irrational act of violence and harassment. Of course, this should be condemned.

But disliking Islam itself is not irrational. Because being against sexism, homophobia, illogical statements and the irrational, a cellestial dictatorship and egotisical desert dwellers who proclaim themselves to be a prophet is not a "phobia", it's common-****ing-sense.

Well, I didn't say it was. That wasn't your argument though.

You said it has no real meaning.

My argument is that in specific instances, it can have.

Now, I think it is used to deflect serious discussion away from Islam ( IE the veneration of a morally "questionable" prophet). However, that isn't the argument here.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest