The Student Room Group

Graduate unemployment in the north east.

Anyone else in a similar sort of position or know of people that are? I graduated in 2013, was working for 8 months but I have had long stretches of unemployment.

My 2.1 is in Law from a RG, no luck on getting a TC so a legal career is out of the window. I don't feel like I can stay in the north east anymore even though I have been here all of my life. So, leaving my friends and family has to be the way now.

And believe me, the job market is poor here. Just any job would be nice, but I keep getting the old "Oh you're overqualified" rubbish. I don't know much about London.. is there a better jobs market in the south? I've heard Edinburgh is just as bad, some other poster was saying here how her bro graduated from Edinburgh Uni and had to move south for work after trying to find work at home for 2 years.

I just feel like my life is wasting away.
Reply 1
Original post by James.Carnell
Anyone else in a similar sort of position or know of people that are? I graduated in 2013, was working for 8 months but I have had long stretches of unemployment.

My 2.1 is in Law from a RG, no luck on getting a TC so a legal career is out of the window. I don't feel like I can stay in the north east anymore even though I have been here all of my life. So, leaving my friends and family has to be the way now.

And believe me, the job market is poor here. Just any job would be nice, but I keep getting the old "Oh you're overqualified" rubbish. I don't know much about London.. is there a better jobs market in the south? I've heard Edinburgh is just as bad, some other poster was saying here how her bro graduated from Edinburgh Uni and had to move south for work after trying to find work at home for 2 years.

I live in the north too, I think the job market isn't all that good here in the north. I'm wondering if it's the same down south also not only London but the whole of the south of England.
I know a couple of people who have moved to the south and they've commented on how it was easy to find jobs there however, house prices and renting is so expensive there. I've been London once and was surprised at how there were so many immigrants working in retail and coffee shops there whereas in the North these jobs are done by the natives and I think because renting a house is so cheap in the north people can afford to take low paid jobs.
Original post by Jee1
I live in the north too, I think the job market isn't all that good here in the north. I'm wondering if it's the same down south also not only London but the whole of the south of England.
I know a couple of people who have moved to the south and they've commented on how it was easy to find jobs there however, house prices and renting is so expensive there. I've been London once and was surprised at how there were so many immigrants working in retail and coffee shops there whereas in the North these jobs are done by the natives and I think because renting a house is so cheap in the north people can afford to take low paid jobs.

Yeah, thats the conundrum. I have my own little side venture, it gives me enough to live on especially considering I live at home with my parents. But I just feel like I am getting by and wasting my potential. I should not need to use such unconventional means to support my lifestyle. I want to contribute to society a lot more than I am doing now. The North is cheap to live in, but it is so lacking in opportunity. Life just passes us by.

The south is much more expensive. I was in London for work every week before. Travel is crazy expensive there, rent... that takes away the bulk of your money right from the payslip effectively.

Also problem with the north is I feel that getting those relatively simple jobs seems a lot harder. I keep getting the whole 'overqualified' spiel. Graduate jobs are fine, but they are few and far between. There are so many recruitment consultant and sales jobs that seem very shady.

Hopefully I get into the Civil Service in London. Quite literally all of my chips are on red. I will make a big effort to get a job down the south now, I just wish I didn't waste so much time trying for a job in the north.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Yeah, thats the conundrum. I have my own little side venture, it gives me enough to live on especially considering I live at home with my parents. But I just feel like I am getting by and wasting my potential. I should not need to use such unconventional means to support my lifestyle. I want to contribute to society a lot more than I am doing now. The North is cheap to live in, but it is so lacking in opportunity. Life just passes us by.

The south is much more expensive. I was in London for work every week before. Travel is crazy expensive there, rent... that takes away the bulk of your money right from the payslip effectively.

Also problem with the north is I feel that getting those relatively simple jobs seems a lot harder. I keep getting the whole 'overqualified' spiel. Graduate jobs are fine, but they are few and far between. There are so many recruitment consultant and sales jobs that seem very shady.

Hopefully I get into the Civil Service in London. Quite literally all of my chips are on red. I will make a big effort to get a job down the south now, I just wish I didn't waste so much time trying for a job in the north.

Yeah, I really like living in the north. But there is a lack of good entry level jobs here, so it's best to move out for a few years get good experience then come back .
Here in the north 1 entry level job gets thousands of applications, so the expectations are too high and it does get really competitive. I really don't know if it is the case in the south not just London but also the home counties all I know is my friend moved there and got a job really quickly.
And yeah you're right there are so many telesales and door to door sales jobs advertised a lot on job boards but these are not proper jobs that'll help you pay the bills and progress. Many of my graduate friends have ended up at call centres and now many can't stand it. They just burn out and leave.
Original post by Jee1
Yeah, I really like living in the north. But there is a lack of good entry level jobs here, so it's best to move out for a few years get good experience then come back .
Here in the north 1 entry level job gets thousands of applications, so the expectations are too high and it does get really competitive. I really don't know if it is the case in the south not just London but also the home counties all I know is my friend moved there and got a job really quickly.
And yeah you're right there are so many telesales and door to door sales jobs advertised a lot on job boards but these are not proper jobs that'll help you pay the bills and progress. Many of my graduate friends have ended up at call centres and now many can't stand it. They just burn out and leave.

Even if you get to the final stages of the interview, they will reject you for any reason because of the fact that they know that they can just choose from the masses of people that would take a much lower salary just to have the job. Many companies use wide salary scales in advertising such jobs and then they try to work out who would be the cheapest hire who can do the job. Hence, even if you are experienced they often do not choose you as they can choose someone else for a lower salary.

On the other side of the coin, if you are not as experienced (which used to be my problem) you get the underexperienced retort from employers.

The very fact that there is so many people applying for that one job is the actual problem.

Haha, call centre, I did my time in one briefly before I found a short term grad job. It was pretty horrible but it paid ok.
Reply 5
The north east isn't the only bit of the north.

And it's not just 'the north' or 'London'.
Reply 6

We have similarities. Although I got a 2.2 in law from a RG Uni in 2014. I am currently working as a paralegal in PI but I really hate my job (due to the people) to the point I just want to quit. I'm finding it so difficult to find another job despite being employed. There is a lot of unemployment around here in the North and even a small high street firm gets so many applications for a PA assistant position from law grads who have done the LPC and also experienced secretaries.

Maybe try PI if you want to stick to law ? it's easier to get into than other legal areas and often PI firms take grads on with no experience.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
The north east isn't the only bit of the north.

And it's not just 'the north' or 'London'.

True, Manchester and Birmingham are both starting to offer increasing job opportunities from what I understand.

It's true there are more grad opportunities in London. I was reading a report yesterday about graduate vacancies which said that the most are in London & the South East and the least in the North East. However they are still competitive, the Civil Service especially so, you need to be able to put together a really strong application which for the Civil Service involves passing several online tests and do really well at interview or the assessment centre so do all the research you can to help. I can't speak for other sectors but the one I have finally cracked into, Politics/Policy you had 80-100 people applying for one temporary role (all London based). Might also be worth looking at the opportunities in Manchester & Birmingham if you are worried about the cost of London too, both cities appear to have more grad roles available now from what I understand.
Reply 9
Original post by jelly1000
It's true there are more grad opportunities in London. I was reading a report yesterday about graduate vacancies which said that the most are in London & the South East and the least in the North East. However they are still competitive, the Civil Service especially so, you need to be able to put together a really strong application which for the Civil Service involves passing several online tests and do really well at interview or the assessment centre so do all the research you can to help. I can't speak for other sectors but the one I have finally cracked into, Politics/Policy you had 80-100 people applying for one temporary role (all London based). Might also be worth looking at the opportunities in Manchester & Birmingham if you are worried about the cost of London too, both cities appear to have more grad roles available now from what I understand.

Birmingham isn't all that too it's the same with the North East
Original post by Magnus Taylor
I live in Oxford and it is all good here, abandon the North, winter is coming!

LOL and this time there is no Jon Snow to save the day! :lol:
Original post by dbdb
We have similarities. Although I got a 2.2 in law from a RG Uni in 2014. I am currently working as a paralegal in PI but I really hate my job (due to the people) to the point I just want to quit. I'm finding it so difficult to find another job despite being employed. There is a lot of unemployment around here in the North and even a small high street firm gets so many applications for a PA assistant position from law grads who have done the LPC and also experienced secretaries.

Maybe try PI if you want to stick to law ? it's easier to get into than other legal areas and often PI firms take grads on with no experience.

I know a girl with a first class from my university in Law, she is doing a job that is way below her talents because she wants to stay here for family reasons. It's pretty sad. She is one of the brightest people I know, but when she is a library assistant and has been for 2 years, you know that there is something wrong.

I mean, yeah, she could have a better approach to applying for jobs.. but I have actually looked at her CV and LinkedIn, it is excellent. She has tried to get the training contracts with no luck.

I had a discussion with my cousin who used to be a partner at Eversheds, he said that these days it is pretty irrelevant whether you get a first or a 2.1, or a 2.2. Contacts get a lot of people in. E.g. I had a peer who had a very average 2.1 but got a pupillage in London.
It's all about experience - a 2:2 with experience easily trumps a 1st with none. Stop wallowing in self pity and start assessing why you weren't good enough for the jobs you've been applying for. You're taking the easy way out and blaming your location for your unemployment instead of your (lack of) skills and your attitude.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by stevey396
It's all about experience - a 2:2 with experience easily trumps a 1st with none. Stop wallowing in self pity and start assessing why you weren't good enough for the jobs you've been applying for. You're taking the easy way out and blaming your location for your unemployment instead of your (lack of) skills and your attitude.

Your attitude stinks, blame the unemployed. When people tell you you are overqualified for a job it is ridiculous. How is that being underskilled? I have the experience.

Look, unemployment is rampant in the north east and you don't live in the real world. Maybe you should question the environment more , rather than being an ignorant ****.

Also, I saved 900k for my company. How did I get thanked for it? I got made redundant. As a percentage for that department, it was significant. Again, don't question **** you know nothing about. Employers take the piss. We have less working rights than the PRC, especially now we've left the EU.

Did I mention that you're ignorant?
(edited 7 years ago)
Your attitude stinks, blame the unemployed. When people tell you you are overqualified for a job it is ridiculous. How is that being underskilled? I have the experience.

Look, unemployment is rampant in the north east and you don't live in the real world. Maybe you should question the environment more , rather than being an ignorant ****.

Also, I saved 900k for my company. How did I get thanked for it? I got made redundant. As a percentage for that department, it was significant. Again, don't question **** you know nothing about. Employers take the piss. We have less working rights than the PRC, especially now we've left the EU.

The problem is if you are struggling to get a job you do need to assess all factors which might be contributing to your unemployment, the location may not help but its not always the only factor. I found for example that even with adequate experience I struggled for quite a while to get a job because I didn't know how to navigate interviews.

The reason non grad jobs e.g. retail sometimes dismiss grads for being overqualified is because they don't want to train someone only for them to bolt as soon as they get a better job.
(edited 7 years ago)

You can be both overqualified and underskilled - for example you might have a PhD but no social skills or experience of delivering customer service.

Move somewhere else then - the majority of graduates end up working a good way away from home, so why shouldn't you? Especially as you seem to hate the North East so much.

You might have done well in that respect, but it is likely that you were lacking in some of the things that really mean everything to the company - morals, values, loyalty, dignity, courage. Those things are worth more than being slightly above average in performance.

And don't you dare turn this into a Brexit issue. You whiny remainers are unbelievable.
Original post by stevey396
You can be both overqualified and underskilled - for example you might have a PhD but no social skills or experience of delivering customer service.

Move somewhere else then - the majority of graduates end up working a good way away from home, so why shouldn't you? Especially as you seem to hate the North East so much.

You might have done well in that respect, but it is likely that you were lacking in some of the things that really mean everything to the company - morals, values, loyalty, dignity, courage. Those things are worth more than being slightly above average in performance.

And don't you dare turn this into a Brexit issue. You whiny remainers are unbelievable.

Do you want some more straws to clutch on to?
I'm from the North East and will be moving to London once I've completed my law degree.

Although I'm excited to move down South, the lack of decent commercial law firms in the North East meant that in reality I've had very little choice.
Original post by jelly1000
True, Manchester and Birmingham are both starting to offer increasing job opportunities from what I understand.

I live in Birmingham, but I wouldn't say there are masses of opportunities out there. I've had a look at job opportunities and even if its an entry level job they require you to have previous experience - sometimes 2-3 years at a minimum!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending