The Student Room Group

Year 13 Maths Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Would the following problem be accessible for a C4 student?

Find the total area between the curves (measured positively) sinx\sin x and its inverse function from x=0 x=0 to x=1x=1 and from x=1x=-1 to x=0x=0.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Palette
Would the following problem be accessible for a C4 student?

Find the total area enclosed by the curves (measured positively) sinx\sin x and its inverse function from x=0 x=0 to x=1x=1 and from x=1x=-1 to x=0x=0.

Wording is weird... can you make it clearer?
Reply 82
Original post by RDKGames
Wording is weird... can you make it clearer?

I could rephrase it as 'Find the area between the graphs of sin x and arcsin x between x=-1 and x=0. Then find the area between the graphs of sin x and arcsin x between x=0 and x=1. What is the sum of these two areas?'
Original post by Palette
I could rephrase it as 'Find the area between the graphs of sin x and arcsin x between x=-1 and x=0. Then find the area between the graphs of sin x and arcsin x between x=0 and x=1. What is the sum of these two areas?'

You mean this?

Capture.PNG
Reply 84
You mean this?

Capture.PNG

Yes.
Original post by Palette
Yes.
Just rephrase it to 10arcsin(x) dx+01sin(x) dx\int^0_{-1} arcsin(x)\ dx + \int^1_0 sin(x)\ dx

I'm unsure if C4 integrates arcsine, but it's in the formula booklet anyway so it's doable.

Update: Yes it's doable. Basic inverse trig integration is covered in C3
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 86
I'm unsure if C4 integrates arcsine, but it's in the formula booklet anyway so it's doable.

You're getting confused with differentiation and integration. The way to integrate these is to use IBP with u=arcsinxu = \arcsin x and dv=1\mathrm{d}v = 1.
Original post by Zacken
You're getting confused with differentiation and integration. The way to integrate these is to use IBP with u=arcsinxu = \arcsin x and dv=1\mathrm{d}v = 1.

Yeah I wasn't sure if it's integration or differentiation that is given to you in the formula booklet, still there so students can figure it out I'm sure.
Reply 88
Proving various trigonometric identities is by far my weakest point in C3.

How can I start proving that secθ1secθ+1=tan2θ2\frac{\sec \theta -1}{\sec \theta +1}= \tan^2 \frac{\theta}{2}?
Reply 89
Original post by Palette
Proving various trigonometric identities is by far my weakest point in C3.

How can I start proving that secθ1secθ+1=tan2θ2\frac{\sec \theta -1}{\sec \theta +1}= \tan^2 \frac{\theta}{2}?

The obvious way; convert everything to sines and cosines first off: 1cosθ1+cosθ\frac{1 - \cos \theta}{1 + \cos \theta}, then well, everybody should be seeing that we want θ2\frac{\theta}{2} so the only sensible plan of attack is to use cosθ=12sin2θ2\cos \theta = 1 - 2\sin^2 \frac{\theta}{2} and cosθ=2cos2θ21\cos \theta = 2\cos^2 \frac{\theta}{2} - 1 in the numerator and denominator respectively, for two obvious reasons:

(i) It gets sin\sin in the numerator and cos\cos in the denominator; which is the form for tan\tan.

(ii) It gets rid of the pesky 1±1 \pm so the division becomes straightforward.

Anywho, that gets you sin2θ2cos2θ2\frac{\sin^2 \frac{\theta}{2}}{\cos^2 \frac{\theta}{2}}\equiv \cdots
Reply 90
Original post by Zacken
The obvious way; convert everything to sines and cosines first off: 1cosθ1+cosθ\frac{1 - \cos \theta}{1 + \cos \theta}, then well, everybody should be seeing that we want θ2\frac{\theta}{2} so the only sensible plan of attack is to use cosθ=12sin2θ2\cos \theta = 1 - 2\sin^2 \frac{\theta}{2} and cosθ=2cos2θ21\cos \theta = 2\cos^2 \frac{\theta}{2} - 1 in the numerator and denominator respectively, for two obvious reasons:

Everybody except me I suppose. I was thinking too much along the lines of the half angle formulae when I saw tan2θ2\tan^2 \frac{\theta}{2}.

(i) It gets sin\sin in the numerator and cos\cos in the denominator; which is the form for tan\tan.

(ii) It gets rid of the pesky 1±1 \pm so the division becomes straightforward.

Anywho, that gets you sin2θ2cos2θ2\frac{\sin^2 \frac{\theta}{2}}{\cos^2 \frac{\theta}{2}}\equiv \cdots

Thanks for the help!
Reply 91
M3 question:
Is there a way that I can visualise dvdx\frac{dv}{dx} in my head? I know it means 'the rate of change of velocity with respect to displacement' but it still feels a bit strange when all the questions in mechanics so far are to do with '_____ with respect to time'.
Reply 92
Original post by Palette
M3 question:
Is there a way that I can visualise dvdx\frac{dv}{dx} in my head? I know it means 'the rate of change of velocity with respect to displacement' but it still feels a bit strange when all the questions in mechanics so far are to do with '_____ with respect to time'.

Just write it as dvdx=dvdtdtdx=av\frac{\mathrm{d}v}{\mathrm{d}x} = \frac{\mathrm{d}v}{\mathrm{d}t} \cdot \frac{\mathrm{d}t}{\mathrm{d}x} = \frac{a}{v}.
Reply 93
I am currently studying the mean value theorem, a piece of calculus that is taught in schools in the US but not in the UK.

I wanted to know some results that can be derived from the mean value theorem and one of them happens to be:

If f(a,b)(R)f(a,b)\rightarrow\mathbb(R) is differentiable and f(x)=0f'(x)=0 for all x(a,b)x \in (a,b), then ff is constant.

I am confused by what f(a,b)f(a,b) means.

f:(a,b)Rf: (a,b) \rightarrow \mathbb{R}
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 94
Original post by Palette
I am currently studying the mean value theorem, a piece of calculus that is taught in schools in the US but not in the UK.

I wanted to know some results that can be derived from the mean value theorem and one of them happens to be:

If f(a,b)(R)f(a,b)\rightarrow \mathbb(R) is differentiable and f(x)=0f'(x)=0 for all x(a,b)x \in (a,b), then ff is constant.

I am confused by f(a,b)f(a,b) .

It's a function of 2 variables, a and b. (I believe).
Reply 95
Original post by Palette
I am confused by what f(a,b)f(a,b) means.

Wow, where did you get that from? That's a horrible abuse of notation. It should be: the function f:(a,b)Rf: (a, b) \to \mathbb{R} is differentiable, etc... i.e: the domain of ff is (a,b)(a, b) and the co-domain is R\mathbb{R}.
Reply 96
Original post by Zacken
Wow, where did you get that from? That's a horrible abuse of notation. It should be: the function f:(a,b)Rf: (a, b) \to \mathbb{R} is differentiable, etc... i.e: the domain of ff is (a,b)(a, b) and the co-domain is R\mathbb{R}.

The TeX messed up when I was copying and pasting it. Was in a rush so I didn't have my TeX sheet with me. I can show you the source- it looks fine there:

http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/9749/applications-of-the-mean-value-theorem

It must have been TSR as I copied directly from the TeX source in the link above. Even had I spotted it, I wouldn't have known about the distinction between f:(a,b)f: (a,b) and f(a,b)f(a,b) as I'd have thought that they were as interchangeable as f(x)f(x) and f:xf: x.

Please forgive my numerous mathematical heresies over the past year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 97
Original post by Palette
I'd have thought that they were as interchangeable as f(x)f(x) and f:xf: x.

Those aren't interchangeable.
Reply 98
Original post by Zacken
Those aren't interchangeable.

My C3 textbook states:

You can write functions in two different ways: f(x)=f(x)= and f:xf:x \rightarrow.

Is the textbook misleading or am I making some classic mistake in analysis?

P.S. I now understand why the TeX went wrong. I now remember that there were initially spacing issues with the TeX when I first copied it so I had to retype parts. Hence \mathbb{R} was accidentally typed as \mathbb(R) and the colon was left out in f: (a, b) as I was rushing it. I think that explains it!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 99
Original post by Palette
My C3 textbook states:

You can write functions in two different ways: f(x)=f(x)= and f:xf:x \rightarrow.

Is the textbook misleading or am I making some classic mistake in analysis?

P.S. I now understand why the TeX went wrong. I now remember that there were initially spacing issues with the TeX when I first copied it so I had to retype parts. Hence \mathbb{R} was accidentally typed as \mathbb(R) and the colon was left out in f: (a, b) as I was rushing it. I think that explains it!

You can write a function like this
f:RR \displaystyle f : \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}
xx+4 \displaystyle x\mapsto x+4 .
As you can see the function is defined completely, you have the domain, codomain and the mapping.
You won't see it at A-level but it can be quite important to have all these terms defined for a function.
For example if we have
f:RR+ \displaystyle f: \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^+
xx2 \displaystyle x \mapsto x^2
This is different to the function
f:CR \displaystyle f: \mathbb{C} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}
xx2 \displaystyle x \mapsto x^2 .
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest