The Student Room Group

An analysis of the modern western female

A nice little critique of everything that is wrong with modern western morality. Analysis welcome:

Looking at the traits of only a portion of a gender, and applying it to the rest of them? How stupid!
Original post by Adamski191
Looking at the traits of only a portion of a gender, and applying it to the rest of them? How stupid!

Nah this is pretty much endemic I'm afraid the devaluation of marriage, increase in divorce and single motherhood. As a nation our youth have no scruples.
Original post by Hackneyisation
Nah this is pretty much endemic I'm afraid the devaluation of marriage, increase in divorce and single motherhood. As a nation our youth have no scruples.

Well it should be acknowledged that not all young people are like the drunken, lazy, selfish, money-grabbing scumbags that some are destined to be. Some young people strive quite a lot to do well in life, and I know some of them.
Reply 4

Is that why rates of alcohol consumption and teen pregnancy are dropping?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
A nice little critique of everything that is wrong with modern western morality. Analysis welcome:

I do agree with some of the points. I just feel we're waiting for this empire to crumble. When empires started to fail in history, the young have always partied themselves to oblivion. This is going to sound wrong but I think the immigrant families in the UK are far better than ours..the Eastern Europeans and the Asians, they have stronger morals, family orientated views and know their place in society. There's a reason why they're also beating us in education and jobs. There needs to be stability within the family, father/mother role models and guidance for kids to achieve their best and this is something we don't have; single parenthood or teen parenthood is a viscous cycle and that doesn't prepare kids for the real world. This appears to be a wide generalisation, I just want to acknowledge that there are special cases and anomalies within different backgrounds that exist in 21st century British society. Too conservative = bad. Too liberal= bad. There needs to be a balance which is why the 60s was considered a "revolutionary" era, that's where the balance was met and has now been suppressed, IMO after the 90s, things started to become really bad, morbid obesity, radical feminism, promiscuity, stupidity and degeneration became socially acceptable.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Aj12
Is that why rates of alcohol consumption and teen pregnancy are dropping?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Source?
Reply 7
Original post by Themini
Source?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jul/15/teenage-pregnancies-uk-drops-lowest-level-70-years

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31452735

This bizarre sense of moral decline that some elements of the populace are obsessed with really needs to stop.
Reply 8
Original post by Aj12
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jul/15/teenage-pregnancies-uk-drops-lowest-level-70-years

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31452735

This bizarre sense of moral decline that some elements of the populace are obsessed with really needs to stop.

The article on teen pregnancy: "Overall, 695,233 births were recorded in the England and Wales in 2014, a fall of 3,279 on the previous year. Out of those, 27% were to mothers born outside the UK, a slight rise on 26% in 2013
the decline in the number of teenage births was due in part “to the huge improvements we’ve seen in contraception advice and services for younger women, with straightforward access to abortion services when their chosen method lets them down”
The number of teenagers giving birth in England and Wales is at its lowest level in nearly 70 years, official figures have shown.
The Office for National Statistics said 25,977 women under 20 had babies in the two countries last year, the fewest since 1946.
The ONS data (pdf), published on Wednesday, reveals that pregnancies decreased in all age groups under 30 in 2014, bringing the average age of mothers in England and Wales to 30.2 a 0.2% rise on 2013.
YES lets compare from statistics from a time when there was no available contraception...and highly ineffectively condoms made from pig bladders to our time where there are seveal highly effective, cheap, readily available contraception sources. The biggest factor reducing child birth under 30 which is their argument is that women are more career driven and are not having as many kids as they did before. The article is misleading, they're mixing up teen pregnancy with teen births in the same article, those aren't same as each other. Given that abortions are readily available and safe practices, ofcourse teen mums giving birth has fallen but quite clearly not significantly enough since the article doesn't state any numerical values.

The article also is misleading by talking about teen pregnancy then saying pregnancies have fallen amongst mums under 30..from the same time..Oh heres a clue! Women at the time were busy having kids and looking after them, in a stable marriage and raising them.
Now for alcohol. They're talking about binge drinking amongst young adults so 16-25 year olds.More than a fifth of UK adults now say they do not drink alcohol at all - a slight increase on 2005

In London, almost one-third of all adults said they did not drink alcohol - higher than any other region of Great Britain.
Changing attitudes to alcohol are also driven by diversity.
A little over 7% of young people currently describe themselves as Muslims or Sikhs, religions which largely forbid alcohol consumption.
Indeed, areas with higher levels of immigration tend to have lower levels of problem drinking.
A third of people in diverse London are teetotal, a quarter in the East Midlands. In the south-west of England, it's 15% and in the North East it's 17%.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Lemme guess... You're single?

Not news. Not remotely important. Just some people like to moan at others to make themselves feel better.
Pretty true tbh
Original post by Themini

YES lets compare from statistics from a time when there was no available contraception...and highly ineffectively condoms made from big bladders to our time. The biggest factor reducing child birth under 30 which is their argument is that women are more career driven and are not having as many kids as they did before.

I guess we've come a long way from the 2000s. Dark time those were, did they even have electricity?

The article is misleading, they're mixing up teen pregnancy with teen births in the same article, those aren't same as each other. Given that abortions are readily available and safe practices, ofcourse teen mums giving birth has fallen but quite clearly not significantly enough since the article doesn't state any numerical values.

Rate of abortion is also falling https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/433437/2014_Commentary__5_.pdf

Face it, your world view is wrong. The data proves it.
Original post by nexttime
I guess we've come a long way from the 2000s. Dark time those were, did they even have electricity?

Rate of abortion is also falling https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/433437/2014_Commentary__5_.pdf

Face it, your world view is wrong. The data proves it.

Sorry, my bad. How could I have been so wrong when Kim Kardashian and Miley Cyrus are considered better female role models and have at least 10x the following on social media as Malala Yousafzai
Reply 13
Original post by Themini
Sorry, my bad. How could I have been so wrong when Kim Kardashian and Miley Cyrus are considered better female role models and have at least 10x the following on social media as Malala Yousafzai

So you're now basing your entire argument on how many followers someone has on twitter? The decline of western civilisation is truly nigh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Themini

That's been the case since television was invented. Look at the 70s rock stars and their groupies. Its also hardly exclusive to the West. Tell me that everyone in 'not the West' has never heard of Miley Cyrus but has a copy of Malala's book if you want but I won't believe you. Wasn't that Pakistani celebrity who was killed primarily famous for her slightly raunchy instagram photos?
Jesus take the wheel
I haven't watched the video yet, but I'm going to guess that it's saying a woman's morality is dependent on whether she stays with the same man for the rest of her life, and whether she has had sex with men before marriage resulting in a child. Am I right?

Original post by Themini

Here's a thought: Maybe the people who look up to and respect Malala, don't own a social media account? I only have Facebook so I can keep up with Uni resources, many others are the same
Personally I think it's pretty great. People have increased choice in terms of career, whether they want to believe a religion, what type of person they want to be and in general what they want their life to be like. Increased liberalism means we're more accepting and not trying to box people into whats normal.
In terms of morals i think people are more concerned with being good people today than prejudices designed to degrade others.
Personally living in the UK I don't know many teen mums. I don't think you should demonise them all and make out they're the ills of society.

This is the forward. Get used to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aj12
So you're now basing your entire argument on how many followers someone has on twitter? The decline of western civilisation is truly nigh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

All movements, social and otherwise, now exist entirely within Twitter.

That coup in Turkey didn't really happen, it was just a tweetstream.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending