The Student Room Group

Creationism being taught in schools is a not all bad

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Racoon
Which part are you talking about? Now that the reply doesn't include the whole text one is replying to it makes it a bit confusing to reply without the above reference completely visible.

Besides this, can't you see how your continual mocking is pointless.

Its the way someone like you, who sounds reasonably intelligent can believe such fairy stories and be so uncritical about it all. Its like a 40 year old man telling you he believes in Father Christmas, fairies and leprechauns.
Original post by Galadrielll
Surely children should be exposed to a plethora of ideas and allowed to choose from the wealth of knowledge which is being imparted on them daily and make their own choice

Science is not a choice of ideas according to personal preference. What should be taught is the prevailing theory and the body of evidence behind it - not some half baked hypothesis with no evidence to support it.

. The occupation of Darwinian evolution in the class room is pretty one sided and it's indoctrinating children to having a very narrow outlook on life.

If it's one sides that's because the evidence is hilariously biased against the crackpot theory of creationism. The point of science classes is to teach the science. Creationism is fine staying in RE, where it belongs.

Research has shown that the most intelligent students and academically well to-do choose their careers around the early age of 10 where children show a strong interest and passion for one area or more over others. Yet children are not being stimulated enough in primary school.

None of which justifies lying to children and presenting creationism as a valid alternative rather than accurately portraying it as ancient mumbo-jumbo.

We need to make certain elements of the curriculum more stream-lined across the whole country for example more advanced arithmetic than is being currently taught in addition to stressing the need to read books for leisure. And why not also educate children on philosophy and creationism.

Children already are educated in creationism - it's just not treated as a part of science, because it isn't.

Surely children should be set-up to have a well-rounded school experience not what is currently happening right now.

Your concern for childrens education is greatly misplaced if you think teaching pseudoscientific garbage as science is an improvement on currently.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dozyrosie
Hang on! You are a YEC, you cannot accept the big bang, but you are claiming your 'book' foretells it.

Hang on! - I have never said I do not accept the big bang theory is a possibility, at the moment of creation.
There is no above the Earth. There is no circle of the Earth. So it means what is most likely, these ancients saw the earth as a flat disc, welcome to all the YEC's into the flat Earth society.

As I said earlier but you failed to mention, I said the verse doesn't literally mean God is sitting above the earth.

So there is absolutely nothing above the earth, or around the earth, nothing, no space?
(edited 7 years ago)
It is no good spouting your answers in genesis tripe here. We know your ****(poo). It would be wiser for you to understand the science rather than make fatuous statements.

Now that the holidays are starting maybe your 'science teacher' would like another GUEST appearance.

Perhaps he will, although I'm sure you can remember he stopped wasting his time replying because of all the personal insults which arose when you were stumped and couldn't come up with a suitably scientific reply which to discuss further.

I never mentioned 'answers in genesis'.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Maker
Its the way someone like you, who sounds reasonably intelligent can believe such fairy stories and be so uncritical about it all. Its like a 40 year old man telling you he believes in Father Christmas, fairies and leprechauns.

I could almost take that as a compliment :biggrin:

The common linking of belief in God to believing in Father Christmas and the Tooth Fairy is a very clever deception and faulty logic. Even if we say Santa doesn't exist there is no reason why God shouldn't, its a weak analogy.
Original post by Nurne
Teach it in English as an example of high fantasy similar to Narnia or Lord of the Rings. The Bible is the greatest fictional hoax in the world's history even the radio broadcast of the War of the Worlds is not comparable in the amount of people it has fooled into believing the novel is real.

Narnia or Lord of the Rings - written by great Christian authors which both purvey the message of salvation.
Reply 127
Original post by Racoon
I could almost take that as a compliment :biggrin:

The common linking of belief in God to believing in Father Christmas and the Tooth Fairy is a very clever deception and faulty logic. Even if we say Santa doesn't exist there is no reason why God shouldn't, its a weak analogy.

I never said god does not exist, I said you reduce religion to fairy tales. Only a minority of Christains believe in Creationism, many Christians don't.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Maker
I never said god does not exist, I said you reduce religion to fairy tales. Only a minority of Christains believe in Creationism, many Christians don't.

So are you agnostic?
Original post by Racoon
"The Universe at every moment after the cosmic expansion event we call the big bang (I don't like the term, it wasn't a bang at all - it was space itself stretching everywhere) has been naturalistic so it makes no sense for religious creationist ideas to even be considered."

Except you miss out one very important factor and that is that God ordained it to be recorded in the bible so we would have no doubt that God created the universe.

Isaiah records the following

Do you not know? Have you not heard? Has it not been declared to you from the beginning? Have you not understood from the foundations of the earth? 22It is He who sits above the circle of the earth, And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers, Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Isaiah
The Isaiah scroll, the oldest surviving manuscript of Isaiah: found among the Dead Sea Scrolls and dating from about 150 to 100 BCE, it contains almost the whole Book of Isaiah and is substantially identical with the modern Masoretic text.

Now all you have to do is show independent evidence that your god caused that to be written. That should be simple, shouldn't it?
Original post by Good bloke
Now all you have to do is show independent evidence that your god caused that to be written. That should be simple, shouldn't it?

The sarcastic undertone isn't necessary. I usually give up on these discussions because of this route you like to wander down. Lets talk like adults without resorting to sly insults.

Once the wall of pride comes down and you accept the possibility of God can you begin to find out about Him. Until then the wall is up.
Original post by Racoon
The sarcastic undertone isn't necessary.*

Neither is the specious proselytising. But the evidence is. Where is it?
Original post by Maker
... Only a minority of Christains believe in Creationism, many Christians don't.

"Only a minority of Christians believe in Creationism, many Christians don't"

really? I have been a Christian for many years and have never come across a Christian who doesn't believe that God was the creator, of everything.

In fact I would say you aren't a Christian if you don't. This is a fundamental of our faith, just like the resurrection of Jesus from the dead and his ascension to heaven are.
Original post by Good bloke
Neither is the specious proselytising. But the evidence is. Where is it?

It's plainly there if you want to open your eyes to it, if you don't then don't.
Reply 134
Original post by Racoon
"Only a minority of Christians believe in Creationism, many Christians don't"

really? I have been a Christian for many years and have never come across a Christian who doesn't believe that God was the creator, of everything.

In fact I would say you aren't a Christian if you don't. This is a fundamental of our faith, just like the resurrection of Jesus from the dead and his ascension to heaven are.

You are are again reducing religion to a set of fairy tales. Do you really think most Christains believe humans and dinosaurs lived at the same time or the earth is 6000 years old?

Your play with words is the thing that puts people off religion, its so obviously disengenous its embarassing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Racoon
It's plainly there if you want to open your eyes to it, if you don't then don't.

Just claiming the evidence is there is not sufficient - if it exists then provide it.

Most Christians take a non literal view of genesis now, and rightly so. Don't pretend that it's necessary to believe in a long since debunked hypothesis (creationism) to be a Christian, otherwise your religion will quickly go the way of the Greek and Roman pantheons.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Racoon

Well, if you don't have any evidence easily visible to all, then you don't have any evidence worth having.
It's called faith for a reason - otherwise it would merge with science and no longer be religion. I would argue that by definition, religion cannot have compelling evidence. Racoon's evidence cannot be separated from the delusions of a schizophrenic, so we should treat them as such.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by hezzlington
Well, I guess you can call it a Pooh-pooh fallacy. But to be fair, they don't really deserve attention. It demonstrates an utter failure of our education system where we have people believing in Young-Earth Creationism and Flat Earth 'Theory'.

Such as what?

Yes, are you?

You're aware of the timescales involved, right?

A couple questions; The Cambrian Period was roughly 5-6 hundred million yrs. ago. Given the slow pace of evolution, It would seem there has not been sufficient time for life to have evolved from simple, single celled life forms, to the level of complexity of mammals and finally modern man.

Regarding the variety of life. If I understand it correctly, organisms evolve in response to external influences in the environment around them. There have been a wide range of environments on the Earth but, has the variety been sufficiently different, especially given the fact that adaptation allows an organism to respond to small changes?
Original post by oldercon1953
A couple questions; The Cambrian Period was roughly 5-6 hundred million yrs. ago. Given the slow pace of evolution, It would seem there has not been sufficient time for life to have evolved from simple, single celled life forms, to the level of complexity of mammals and finally modern man.

Regarding the variety of life. If I understand it correctly, organisms evolve in response to external influences in the environment around them. There have been a wide range of environments on the Earth but, has the variety been sufficiently different, especially given the fact that adaptation allows an organism to respond to small changes?

It depends very much on factors like whether big changes took place, and whether generation cycles are short enough to mutate quickly. Elephants are hardly going to evolve by natural selection as fast as fruit flies. I'm no Earth Scientist, but I do know that once the Earth was full of oxygen then new mechanisms for turning solar energy into biological energy made the population explode.

EDIT - there was also something else that limited the evolution of many celled organisms. The Sun is a large ball of burning plasma, spewing out charged particles and ionising UV at us all the time. The ozone layer responsible, is made from oxygen. Pre-oxygen, nothing can live on land.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending