The Student Room Group

Oxford PAT 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tangotangopapa2
Good luck! You're very helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey I saw you posted some snail question last night it looked interesting could you post it here or the link to the book?
Original post by NatoHeadshot
Hey I saw you posted some snail question last night it looked interesting could you post it here or the link to the book?

Sure.
Link to the post : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4198061

Link to the book : I am not sure if I am allowed post the link to the book this way. I found it in the google search. Anyway : https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4IIN-Yl_suNRHNpOVByeVRCTHM/edit?pref=2&pli=1

And the problem :
Is the following answer presented by physicsandmathstutor not fully correct or is there a flaw in my reasoning?
argument.png
Is the following answer presented by physicsandmathstutor not fully correct or is there a flaw in my reasoning?
argument.png

I see what you mean but i don't understand why he multiplied the LHS of the inequality by (x-1)^2 instead of just (x-1) ?
We don't know weather or not is (x-1) positive. If x-1 is positive then we don't flip inequality sign if it is negative then we flip. But if we multiply both sides by (x-1)^2 then we are multiplying by positive number so we don't have to flip the inequality sign.

Original post by hellomynameisr
I see what you mean but i don't understand why he multiplied the LHS of the inequality by (x-1)^2 instead of just (x-1) ?

common technique with inequalities, need to square denominators before multiplying to ensure that its positive in this case as otherwise multiplying through flips the inequality (in this case, if the denominator is always positive then thats fine)
Reply 166
We don't know weather or not is (x-1) positive. If x-1 is positive then we don't flip inequality sign if it is negative then we flip. But if we multiply both sides by (x-1)^2 then we are multiplying by positive number so we don't have to flip the inequality sign.

When you test between 0 and 1 in the factorised cubic you get a positive answer which doesn't agree with the inequality.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PhyM23
When you test between 0 and 1 in the factorised cubic you get a positive answer which doesn't agree with the inequality.

The formula a/(1-r) is used in the solution which is true only if -1 < r < 1 i.e if x > 1. So, we can not conclude weather or not the given inequality is satisfied when x < 1 based on calculation using this formula.

If you take x = 0.5 (to the inequality of the question), L.H.S x + 2 is 2.5 but RHS is infinitely large. Clearly x + 2 is less than R.H.S.
(edited 7 years ago)
The formula a/(1-r) is used in the solution which is true only if -1 < r < 1 i.e if x > 1. So, we can not conclude weather or not the given inequality is satisfied when x < 1 based on calculation using this formula.

If you take x = 0.5 (to the inequality of the question), L.H.S x + 2 is 2.5 but RHS is infinitely large. Clearly x + 2 is less than R.H.S.

correct, for x<1 sequence diverges so sum is infinitely large
Original post by samb1234
correct, for x<1 sequence diverges so sum is infinitely large

Thanks
So, the ans is 0 < x < root 2, isn't it?
Thanks

should be
Original post by samb1234
common technique with inequalities, need to square denominators before multiplying to ensure that its positive in this case as otherwise multiplying through flips the inequality (in this case, if the denominator is always positive then thats fine)

Ah okay I see. Thanks guys :biggrin:
You're very welcome.
Reply 173
Thanks

I thought the sign was the other way round for some reason so I edited my reply. I feel there is a crucial property of infinite series we're failing to see. I will quote someone who knows more about this than me.

@Zacken

Please could you take a look at this. Have we been taught an over-simplified version of this topic in school which doesn't explain series like this? It is post 163. Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)

It's not strictly necessary for something like this, by using the fact that r<1 i can easily conclude that x>1 so i can safely not square and restrict the domain to x>1 as that is always positive
I was actually about to post up thto same questions a couple of days ago couldn't find the year so what year is it?? I feel like there's a vital this in the series we are not seeing as well,hope someone with a better understanding replies on this
image.png
Guys this is another guy who writes solutions here was his comment correcting and saying the answe was 0 to root2
Reply 177
Ah yes I get what tango was pointing out now (sorry I missed this). I was researching earlier and there are different types of summations. I think I was trying to overcomplicate it though.
http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/further-maths/inequalities/fractional-type/tutorial-1b.php

Taking a look at this, then the original answer of 1<x<root2 is correct isn't it?
Reply 179
Original post by NatoHeadshot
http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/further-maths/inequalities/fractional-type/tutorial-1b.php

Taking a look at this, then the original answer of 1<x<root2 is correct isn't it?

To use S = a/(1-r) , -1<r<1 , which doesn't hold if 0<x<1 as the series diverges, so the formula can't apply to this set of values.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending