The Student Room Group

SNP - Scottish Passports and Independence....

If Scotland became independent with the full support of young people right round the UK, do you think it possible or likely that the SNP would give Scottish passports to the 48% REMAINers (dual nationality)?

I think if they did that would persuade the Brits who voted "NO" in the last indy referendum to vote "YES" - it would seem to be much more patriotic and British if the SNP became the vocal point for REMAIN via Scottish Passports..

What are your views?

Would you as a 48%'er be in favour of Scottish Independence if they gave Scottish passports to any person in the UK who wanted one (you need have no connection to Scotland whatsoever apart from being a British Citizen)?
Reply 1
For example: Would you personally appy from a Scottish Passport if it was on offer and gave you free movement to EU
Original post by FredOrJohn
For example: Would you personally appy from a Scottish Passport if it was on offer and gave you free movement to EU

Why would a Scottish passport, if Scotland became independent, give you free movement to the EU when they wouldn't be a member? There are many countries who would veto Scotland joining so they would NOT be a member and will NOT have the freedom of movement to EU states. That is something a lot of people just like to ignore.

And... No, I'm happy with my British passport - it works just as well to the other 168 odd countries in the world and I'd still be able to go on holiday in the 27 other countries but would just have to get a VISA like the other countries.

Cold weather and lower wages... or warmer weather and higher wages....
I'll stick with warmer weather and higher wages even if we left EU.
Most tourists visas are automatic without any effort on your part, and usually last about 6~8 months duration.

You don't need an EU passport to go on holiday.
Reply 5
If Scotland became independent with the full support of young people right round the UK, do you think it possible or likely that the SNP would give Scottish passports to the 48% REMAINers (dual nationality)?

I think if they did that would persuade the Brits who voted "NO" in the last indy referendum to vote "YES" - it would seem to be much more patriotic and British if the SNP became the vocal point for REMAIN via Scottish Passports..

What are your views?

Would you as a 48%'er be in favour of Scottish Independence if they gave Scottish passports to any person in the UK who wanted one (you need have no connection to Scotland whatsoever apart from being a British Citizen)?

Have you been at the Sunday sherry or something?
No however I am sure they would be more than willing to accept those willing to move to Scotland and work hard. Brain drain has got to go somewhere and I am sure Sturgeon is shrewd enough to capitalise on any chance that comes here way.
Reply 7
Original post by elitepower
No however I am sure they would be more than willing to accept those willing to move to Scotland and work hard. Brain drain has got to go somewhere and I am sure Sturgeon is shrewd enough to capitalise on any chance that comes here way.

It would be a new kind of politics..
Why should parliament be a monopoly?

If the Island had TWO parliaments and you could apply to be a citizen of either (without having to move anywhere) that would be great. Like having DUAL citizenship.

I mean a million people will be "leaving" the UK via applying for Irish passports - this does not require leaving the UK - anyone can apply in any part of the Island - north or south - without moving

Scotland could do the same. Give anyone a Scottish passport on the island. North or South - just anyone who wanted to be Scottish could be Scottish.
Reply 8
I think it would be popular, a lot of people in the rest of Britain have Scottish ancestry including my nephew and niece.

A lot of companies would be happier moving to Scotland than to other EU countries if the rest of Britain don't get the deal they want to access the Single Market.
Reply 9
Scotland could do the same. Give anyone a Scottish passport on the island. North or South - just anyone who wanted to be Scottish could be Scottish.

A pretty daft move given that a prospective Scottish nationalist government would then be responsible for all of these people whenever they travelled overseas, stretching the pathetic excuse they would have for consular support.

It would create a load of Border force jobs as they voted for free movement and we didn't. But no i wouldn't and i think we should be able to vote on whether scotland remains in the UK
Reply 11
Original post by L i b
A pretty daft move given that a prospective Scottish nationalist government would then be responsible for all of these people whenever they travelled overseas, stretching the pathetic excuse they would have for consular support.

Ireland is quite happy to have one million extra passport holders from UK. You never know they might start charging £100 per Brit asking for Irish passport - that would be £100 million straight into Irish economy each year - Scotland could do the same - If they got 5 million that would be £500 MILLION quid each year going to scottish economy from English based passport holders alone
Reply 12
Ireland is quite happy to have one million extra passport holders from UK.

Many of whom are, y'know, Irish.

You never know they might start charging £100 per Brit asking for Irish passport

It costs 80 euros for an Irish passport.

As for suggesting differential costs for British citizens, that would be quite frankly barmy. If you're entitled to an Irish passport, you're an Irish citizen. You may also be a dual citizen, like a huge proportion of people who are entirely Irish and live in Ireland.

Like I say, this thread is pretty much a stoner conversation.
Reply 13
Original post by L i b

The Irish consular service is pretty small, one consulate usually cover several countries since they don't have the resources to have a consulate in every country.

Most of the Irish consular service in the far east seems to deal with errant priests who get involved with local women and piss off the women's families and local authorities.
Reply 14
Original post by L i b
Many of whom are, y'know, Irish.

It costs 80 euros for an Irish passport.

As for suggesting differential costs for British citizens, that would be quite frankly barmy. If you're entitled to an Irish passport, you're an Irish citizen. You may also be a dual citizen, like a huge proportion of people who are entirely Irish and live in Ireland.

Like I say, this thread is pretty much a stoner conversation.

I have ONE grand mother who was born in Ireland (died before I was born).
If I'm Irish pigs fly. The one million are made up of people like me.
Irish people ALREADY have an irish passport.

Again - you are so far removed from reality, one must assume your politics are clouding your vision.
It would be really easy to give people on "grandparent only" AND "living in England/Wales" a £100 charge.
It is a special Irish case that many countries do not allow.

I mean that passport could potentially allow us to get jobs of up to 100,000 Euros a year (contract IT rates) - £100 is more or less nothing. We'll be loaded and all other brits will be poor. Surely £100 would be a cheap price to pay to get 100,000 Euros.
(edited 7 years ago)
It would be a new kind of politics..
Why should parliament be a monopoly?

If the Island had TWO parliaments and you could apply to be a citizen of either (without having to move anywhere) that would be great. Like having DUAL citizenship.

I mean a million people will be "leaving" the UK via applying for Irish passports - this does not require leaving the UK - anyone can apply in any part of the Island - north or south - without moving

I never said Parliament should be a monopoly?
Also I never said it won't be popular - I said I don't see it happening. Nothing any MP or politician has said has given any indication this will happen.*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending