The Student Room Group

AS & A-levels

Hey guys,

I was just wondering what are the actual changes that have been made to A-levels?
Some of my friends who are currently doing A-levels at my school have said that they are doing their AS exams now (in Year 12), but have to do those exams again in Year 13 alongside with their A2 exams - and the Year 13 AS results will be the ones that count towards the actual A-level.

So, if they get an A in Year 12 Economics (AS) e.g. and in Year 13 get a B - they will get a B for their AS result? :s-smilie:

Also, apparently Maths and Further Maths is an exception - so whatever you get in Year 12 is your final mark - you don't do the exams again.

In addition, due to this 'linear' exams change, you don't get any UCAS points for taking an AS level and dropping it because your 'real' mark would be in Year 13 when you do those exams again.
Reply 1
Original post by Chittesh14
Hey guys,

I was just wondering what are the actual changes that have been made to A-levels?
Some of my friends who are currently doing A-levels at my school have said that they are doing their AS exams now (in Year 12), but have to do those exams again in Year 13 alongside with their A2 exams - and the Year 13 AS results will be the ones that count towards the actual A-level.

So, if they get an A in Year 12 Economics (AS) e.g. and in Year 13 get a B - they will get a B for their AS result? :s-smilie:

Also, apparently Maths and Further Maths is an exception - so whatever you get in Year 12 is your final mark - you don't do the exams again.

In addition, due to this 'linear' exams change, you don't get any UCAS points for taking an AS level and dropping it because your 'real' mark would be in Year 13 when you do those exams again.

Right, so if you're in year 12 now you only sit the full a level exam in year 13 (for linear subjects). BUT, you can also sit the AS exam which counts as a separate qualification but doesnt count towards your final a level grade.

Yes, Maths is still modular you have to sit the AS exam and the A2 which both contribute to your final grade. Next year (or the year after - im not sure) all subjects go linear which means AS and a level become separate qualifications.

Im not sure about the UCAS points but with the Economics example the grade B in year 13 would count as the a level grade (the AS grade is separate UNLESS the subject is still modular).

Hope this helps :smile:

NOTE: I am a current year 12 student - if anything ive mentioned is wrong feel free to correct me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by kiiten
Right, so if you're in year 12 now you only sit the full a level exam in year 13 (for linear subjects). BUT, you can also sit the AS exam which counts as a separate qualification but doesnt count towards your final a level grade.

Yes, Maths is still modular you have to sit the AS exam and the A2 which both contribute to your final grade. Next year (or the year after - im not sure) all subjects go linear which means AS and a level become separate qualifications.

Hope this helps :smile:

NOTE: I am a current year 12 student - if anything ive mentioned is wrong feel free to correct me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I am going into Year 12 from September. So, I've currently finished GCSEs and I am thinking whether to take a 4th AS level or not (just for points). If I do good, carry it on, if I flop - drop it. If I don't get any UCAS points, there is no point of doing 4 is what I'm saying.

I'm just slightly confused - if they are separate then I will have two grades:
e.g.
Economics AS - A
Economics A2 - A* ??
So, how will I get two seperate grades and doesn't it depend on each other because sometimes you need like 80% ums average over AS and A2 or something for A* lol.
Reply 3
Thanks, I am going into Year 12 from September. So, I've currently finished GCSEs and I am thinking whether to take a 4th AS level or not (just for points). If I do good, carry it on, if I flop - drop it. If I don't get any UCAS points, there is no point of doing 4 is what I'm saying.

I'm just slightly confused - if they are separate then I will have two grades:
e.g.
Economics AS - A
Economics A2 - A* ??
So, how will I get two seperate grades and doesn't it depend on each other because sometimes you need like 80% ums average over AS and A2 or something for A* lol.

Ah i see. I picked History just to do the AS. If its just for points then personally, its not worth it. If you're thinking of applying to Uni then most want 3 a level grades and dont really care if you have an extra AS or not. It only really matters if 2 candidates are similar (which doesnt happen often).

Yeah, so you would get AS Economics qualification and a level Economics qualification. Even if you got a C in the AS you could still get an A* in the a level (providing Economics is linear). The 80% average thing is for modular subjects like Maths where you have to sit AS and A2 exams you cant just do A2 exams. If that makes any sense :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by kiiten
Ah i see. I picked History just to do the AS. If its just for points then personally, its not worth it. If you're thinking of applying to Uni then most want 3 a level grades and dont really care if you have an extra AS or not. It only really matters if 2 candidates are similar (which doesnt happen often).

Yeah, so you would get AS Economics qualification and a level Economics qualification. Even if you got a C in the AS you could still get an A* in the a level (providing Economics is linear). The 80% average thing is for modular subjects like Maths where you have to sit AS and A2 exams you cant just do A2 exams. If that makes any sense :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's what I was thinking, thanks! I just wanted to know whether the qualifications are seperate so they don't determine each other - so AS is completely separate to A2. But, I'd like a good grade in both :smile:. I don't know the changes, I'll have to ask my teacher :P.
so does that mean I can pick 3 alevels for example, maths economics and computer science, and then I can pick another a level subject, physics. Since i don't want to do 4 whole a levels could i just drop physics after as, and would that count as anything(eg a qualification). Otherwise it would just be a waste of timing doing 3 a levels and 1 as if the as doesnt count for anything

@kiiten
Reply 6
Original post by theBranicAc
so does that mean I can pick 3 alevels for example, maths economics and computer science, and then I can pick another a level subject, physics. Since i don't want to do 4 whole a levels could i just drop physics after as, and would that count as anything(eg a qualification). Otherwise it would just be a waste of timing doing 3 a levels and 1 as if the as doesnt count for anything

@kiiten

No, your physics would count as an AS qualification. What i mean is that you shouldnt do it to 'make yourself look good'. You do 4 a levels so that you have a choice on what you can drop.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Yeah that's what I was thinking, thanks! I just wanted to know whether the qualifications are seperate so they don't determine each other - so AS is completely separate to A2. But, I'd like a good grade in both :smile:. I don't know the changes, I'll have to ask my teacher :P.

Np :smile: - remember, like i said for modular subjects like maths the 2 are linked.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by kiiten
Np :smile: - remember, like i said for modular subjects like maths the 2 are linked.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah :P I remember. That's the way I want it for Maths and Further Maths - my strongest 2 subjects. I just love the link but the requirements are a bit crazy :biggrin:
Original post by kiiten
No, your physics would count as an AS qualification. What i mean is that you shouldnt do it to 'make yourself look good'. You do 4 a levels so that you have a choice on what you can drop.

Posted from TSR Mobile

so is it better doing 4 alevels instead of 3 alevels and one as ? if your trying to get the highest grade possible, but you want to study 4 subjects instead of 3
Reply 10
Original post by theBranicAc
so is it better doing 4 alevels instead of 3 alevels and one as ? if your trying to get the highest grade possible, but you want to study 4 subjects instead of 3

Not necessarily. For example, unis prefer it if you have 3 good a levels rather than 4 poor ones. Although the entry requirements only ask for 3 a levels the benefit of doing 4 is that you can use your 3 best grades (be careful to check subject requirements too though). :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest