The Student Room Group

Is it worth taking a gap year even if you make your offer?

Hi,

I'm fairly sure that I've met the offer of my firm choice, but that offer is quite low compared to my predicted grades and I am 100% certain that I haven't met my predictions of A*A*A*A - I feel quite disappointed in my performance during my A2 exams. I know that once you get into university, A-Levels don't matter hugely but I still don't think I've performed to my full potential due to some mental health issues and I really want a set of grades I know I couldn't improve on.

If I defer entry to my firm choice this year and take a gap year (in which I hope to, besides retaking a few A2 modules, sharpen my maths skills; improve my coding abilities; do some engineering work experience; and travel), would it be worth it?

Obviously if the worst thing happens and I miss my offer, I'll definitely take a gap year as my grades would need HUGE improving. But if I retake some modules, knowing that my university place is confirmed no matter what the outcome is, it would definitely take the pressure off and hopefully I'd be able to perform far better than I did this May/June - but would it be pointless and a waste of time?

Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do you think you're over your mental health issues and would you say you're ready for university? If you're still not feeling 100%, you may underperform at university as well and end up feeling disappointed in yourself.

Your gap year plans sound good and it'd be good to give yourself some time to recover without the pressures of formal education. I'd probably skip the resits unless they're necessary for your career goals.
I personally think the Alevel resits will be a waste of time if you get higher than BBB, but taking a gap year to get work experience (and improve other skills) can only be a good thing.
Original post by Shumaya
Do you think you're over your mental health issues and would you say you're ready for university? If you're still not feeling 100%, you may underperform at university as well and end up feeling disappointed in yourself.

Your gap year plans sound good and it'd be good to give yourself some time to recover without the pressures of formal education. I'd probably skip the resits unless they're necessary for your career goals.

No, I'm not over them, but they're something I just live with now and am able to control when I need to do something important - unfortunately, I failed to control them this exam season as they got much worse and I wasn't able to express my frustration in a harmless, healthy way (and I don't know why) - BUT, I don't think this will be a huge problem at university just because I'm paying so much to go there and I wouldn't let myself get bad when so much money/time/effort is at stake. Idk though, anything could happen

And I am excited by the idea of a gap year, particularly the coding aspect of it. No, resits are not really necessary for my career goals AFAIK but getting AAAA/AAAB when I know I could get A*A*A*A just doesn't sit right with me and I hate that it's because of something I should have been able to control, like always. I did very well at GCSE and at AS, getting 90%+ in all my subjects at AS, and this year it's all kind of gone pear-shaped.
Original post by DarkMagic
I personally think the Alevel resits will be a waste of time if you get higher than BBB, but taking a gap year to get work experience (and improve other skills) can only be a good thing.

thanks for your reply. If I got ABB, I'd unfortunately miss my offer and be forced to reapply+retake. I'm considering retaking to push As up to A*s and potentially push a B up to an A - but you're right that it might not be worth it if my university place is confirmed. i don't know if i should just accept my results and know that i could have done better but move on and just focus on university or not.
Original post by tanyapotter
thanks for your reply. If I got ABB, I'd unfortunately miss my offer and be forced to reapply+retake. I'm considering retaking to push As up to A*s and potentially push a B up to an A - but you're right that it might not be worth it if my university place is confirmed. i don't know if i should just accept my results and know that i could have done better but move on and just focus on university or not.

If you meet your offer, I'd say there's no point taking a gap year to retake your A Levels. Once you're at uni, they become irrelevant-they're nothing more than a tool to get into uni.

I've struggled with mental health issues throughout my degree and I've just graduated with a 2:1. If you're worried about it, your university should have a mental health service you can take advantage of.
(edited 7 years ago)
No, I'm not over them, but they're something I just live with now and am able to control when I need to do something important - unfortunately, I failed to control them this exam season as they got much worse and I wasn't able to express my frustration in a harmless, healthy way (and I don't know why) - BUT, I don't think this will be a huge problem at university just because I'm paying so much to go there and I wouldn't let myself get bad when so much money/time/effort is at stake. Idk though, anything could happen

And I am excited by the idea of a gap year, particularly the coding aspect of it. No, resits are not really necessary for my career goals AFAIK but getting AAAA/AAAB when I know I could get A*A*A*A just doesn't sit right with me and I hate that it's because of something I should have been able to control, like always. I did very well at GCSE and at AS, getting 90%+ in all my subjects at AS, and this year it's all kind of gone pear-shaped.

Wouldn't this exacerbate the problem? As in put more pressure on yourself? :s-smilie:

I feel the same way tbh. Having worked at an A* level for 2 years to end up with an A is disappointing. But the only reason I'd be resitting is for pride. Which probably isn't a worthy enough reason for a resit.
Original post by super_kawaii
If you meet your offer, I'd say there's no point taking a gap year to retake your A Levels. Once you're at uni, they become irrelevant-they're nothing more than a tool to get into uni.

I've struggled with mental health issues throughout my degree and I've just graduated with a 2:1. If you're worried about it, your university should have a mental health service you can take advantage of.

I know that they're just a tool to get into university, but I really wanted to get A*A*A*A, and I knew I could have got it. Maybe I should just accept it tbh, you're right
Original post by Student403
Wouldn't this exacerbate the problem? As in put more pressure on yourself? :s-smilie:

Hopefully not. Usually that kind of incentive works for me :redface: Then I just spend the summer catching up on all the feeling bad lmao
I know that they're just a tool to get into university, but I really wanted to get A*A*A*A, and I knew I could have got it. Maybe I should just accept it tbh, you're right

Getting a 2:1 in your degree is much more important. Once you've graduated uni, your A Levels will mean nothing-I didn't even get asked to produce my A2 certificates when I got accepted for my job. If you meet your offer, there's no point wasting your time on something irrelevant
I feel the same way tbh. Having worked at an A* level for 2 years to end up with an A is disappointing. But the only reason I'd be resitting is for pride. Which probably isn't a worthy enough reason for a resit.

Exactly. I would only be resitting for pride too, because what other reason is there? A*AAA or AAAA isn't a bad set of results, and it will get me into universiry - not worth wasting a year, but that pesky feeling that I could have done better - idk if it will pass or if it will bug me for life. But one whole year just because I missed out on an A* by like 2 UMS in a couple of subjects sounds awful to me... idk if I should do it
I took a gap year because I got abcc at AS , definitely because my head was not in a good place , and thought that was c r a p then got A*AAb and then got three unconditionals and I've spent my time self teaching further maths definitely got at least an A wanted an A*

My advice is gap years are very good for your mental state , I've just spent a tonne of time exercising and getting better at maths. It can be boring at times so you must prepare things to do - I live in a village so nothing to do here so learned to drive etc etc

Specifically if you get the grades, then that is unlike my situation , but all I can say is if your parents are very relaxed about a gap year, then it may just be the right thing to do if you don't feel ready for university absolutely 100%. I feel overprepared for uni now which I think is better
No. Taking a gap year then resitting modules in a gap year is a bad idea. Top unis look down on doing a levels in 3 years
Original post by Youngmillionare
No. Taking a gap year then resitting modules in a gap year is a bad idea. Top unis look down on doing a levels in 3 years

Absolutely this

Exactly. I would only be resitting for pride too, because what other reason is there? A*AAA or AAAA isn't a bad set of results, and it will get me into universiry - not worth wasting a year, but that pesky feeling that I could have done better - idk if it will pass or if it will bug me for life. But one whole year just because I missed out on an A* by like 2 UMS in a couple of subjects sounds awful to me... idk if I should do it

Getting into uni and becoming fully independent is worthy of more pride than resitting A Levels constantly. Once you get into uni, you'll forget all about A Levels. In freshers week, people will ask what A Levels you did as a way of getting to know you, but after that, they'll forever be forgotten.

I got into uni with AAC-no way in hell was I staying in my hometown and resitting. Would've totally screwed with my mental health. Going to uni and realising how capable you are in the real world is what helps with your mental health
Original post by super_kawaii
Getting a 2:1 in your degree is much more important. Once you've graduated uni, your A Levels will mean nothing-I didn't even get asked to produce my A2 certificates when I got accepted for my job. If you meet your offer, there's no point wasting your time on something irrelevant

Okay. Even if it goes against my principles of always getting the best possible results that I can?

'To end up with an A is disappointing' Jesus Christ you make an A sound like it's worthless! An A is amazing. Just get on with university, A levels become just as irrelevant as GCSEs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay. Even if it goes against my principles of always getting the best possible results that I can?

Yes, because once you get into uni, your A Levels don't matter. It's honestly not worth the effort and stress.

What if you miss again? You've just wasted a year of your life. It's a pretty easy decision to make weighing up the cost and potential benefits (there are none)
Original post by Youngmillionare

I don't want to reapply. I don't want to go anywhere else but my firm university, and I 99% know that I've done enough for my firm, so this shouldn't be an issue, right? I wouldn't be going through the UCAS process again, just attempting my A2s again.

Wait - would I need to reapply, even if I got the grades?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending