The Student Room Group

Business controlled assesment - small business

How does the small business "Bobs tyres and exhausts Ltd" add value to their company compared to " A J S Tyres" ???
Reply 1
I can't answer the question specifically but what you need to do is
Interview the business owner(s)
Compare each source of added value together (how does 'x' use design to add value? how does 'x' use a USP to add value?)
Conduct some secondary research such as how a similar (but larger) garage/MOT business adds value)
You need to mention some numbers (eg compare the price of tires at 'x' and 'y' store) to quantify any ideas made
Create and distribute questionnaires asking customers at both garages which source of added value is most significant to them (you can display this is in a pie/bar chart)

Good luck with your assessment
Reply 2
thx, ive already carried out the research but I compared to another local small business!!!

Is that bad ???

I have already printed all my research and everything !!!!!

Also my businesses don't have set prices, they give quotes !! ???
Reply 3
Original post by anonomon
thx, ive already carried out the research but I compared to another local small business!!!

Is that bad ???

I have already printed all my research and everything !!!!!

Also my businesses don't have set prices, they give quotes !! ???

I presume you are with Edexcel exam board

Yes, it is ok to compare your business with another small one (the specification allows either a small local business or a large competitor)

Explain the significance of using a quote rather than having a set price and whether this adds value (this should be answered during the 3 hour write-up)

If you have any more questions about the research or the write-up i'm open to answering them AMA
Reply 4
Original post by umar39
I presume you are with Edexcel exam board

Yes, it is ok to compare your business with another small one (the specification allows either a small local business or a large competitor)

Explain the significance of using a quote rather than having a set price and whether this adds value (this should be answered during the 3 hour write-up)

If you have any more questions about the research or the write-up i'm open to answering them AMA

Thank you so much btw!!!!! What IS the significance of using quotes instead of set prices !!??? (sorry my write ups tomorrow so I kinda panicked when I thought it had to be a big business) Also I have no evidence ( research) about the quotes so should I still mention it ????
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
A quote allows for the price to be negotiated between the business and the customer. Also, a quote ensures that competitors that use fixed prices will find it harder to match and lower their prices in relation to your business. This can add value through service as your service is tailored to the customers needs. ie your allowing your business to lower prices to suit the customer best. Using a quote system therefore can add value as a Unique Selling Point as it may be unique in the local area.

Spoiler

Reply 6
Original post by umar39
A quote allows for the price to be negotiated between the business and the customer. Also, a quote ensures that competitors that use fixed prices will find it harder to match and lower their prices in relation to your business. This can add value through service as your service is tailored to the customers needs. ie your allowing your business to lower prices to suit the customer best. Using a quote system therefore can add value as a Unique Selling Point as it may be unique in the local area.

Spoiler

thx, do I need to get research about the quotes ??? (im not sure if I can get any)
Reply 7
thx, do I need to get research about the quotes ??? (im not sure if I can get any)

It is desirable to get a bit of research but if it is unlikely then I suppose it is best to use the quote vs fixed price analysis as support for a larger point relating to price/convenience/USP
Do a thing called SWOT analysis, analyse their strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats - always makes your work seem much more analytical and thus achieve a higher grade.
Reply 9
Original post by umar39
It is desirable to get a bit of research but if it is unlikely then I suppose it is best to use the quote vs fixed price analysis as support for a larger point relating to price/convenience/USP

would this count as research ??? :Google review.png

(In a google review someone said "extremely competitive quote for Kumho tyres")
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Yes, that would constitute secondary research. (provide evidence of how it relates to adding value and how this relates to the competitor) Remember always look, read and understand the question before conducting research/answering the question!!
Reply 11
Original post by umar39
Yes, that would constitute secondary research. (provide evidence of how it relates to adding value and how this relates to the competitor) Remember always look, read and understand the question before conducting research/answering the question!!

thank you, also how does

- Google reviews / testimonials
-business cards / other promotional products such as calendars and pens
- website

Add value to a tyre business ???
Reply 12
thank you, also how does

- Google reviews / testimonials
-business cards / other promotional products such as calendars and pens
- website

Add value to a tyre business ???

Online review allow potential customers to gain an insight into what they should/could expect from your business. (Although i'm not sure what factor of added value this could relate to).

In terms of the social media pages and business cards, it promotes the business and it's ideas/services/products. This can introduce a convenience factor as potential customers can gain a better understanding of what the business has to offer particularly if your business uses photos/videos to display their service. Also, communicating with customers (current and potential) through social media improves customer relations thus expanding the customer base, improving footfall in the store and adding value through quality customer service. (An integral part of a garage which relies on repeat business.)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by umar39
Online review allow potential customers to gain an insight into what they should/could expect from your business. (Although i'm not sure what factor of added value this could relate to).

In terms of the social media pages and business cards, it promotes the business and it's ideas/services/products. This can introduce a convenience factor as potential customers can gain a better understanding of what the business has to offer particularly if your business uses photos/videos to display their service. Also, communicating with customers (current and potential) through social media improves customer relations thus expanding the customer base, improving footfall in the store and adding value through quality customer service. (An integral part of a garage which relies on repeat business.)

thx, and what would a good plan for the layout be for my analysis ??? (e.g. in English there's: point, evidence, explain, expand) and what would be a good plan for my layout in my evaluation???
Reply 14
Marshall Taylor's response is what you need for analysis (somewhere up there).

For the evaluation you need to evaluate the effectiveness of each source of added value based on your analysis for each source. Then discuss the pro's and con's of each. At the end pick which business has been most effective in adding value. (again, this is done by referring to your analysis).
Reply 15
How did your CA go @anonomon? What grade are you expecting if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 16
Original post by umar39
How did your CA go @anonomon? What grade are you expecting if you don't mind me asking?

I got 37/40 and expecting an A . Thank you for all your help !!! 😀
Reply 17
@anonomon that is an excellent score for CA. I am still waiting for my score (I think I will receive it in October so quite a long wait)!

I'm always here to help :smile:
I got 37/40 and expecting an A . Thank you for all your help !!! 😀

Doing the same controlled assessment, could you guys help me out and show me your work as an example?

Quick Reply

Latest