The Student Room Group

Taking up a sport at uni?

In September, I'll be heading off to uni and I'd quite like to take up a sport (I'm thinking football) but I haven't played it since I was 7 or 8 years old!

How would I slip into a uni sports team when most of the players will have been playing that sport all throughout their education?
Just do it! Enjoy it
Ohh for a minute there I was thinking that the degree you wanted to was Football or something. I was thinking to myself what a stupid idea is that I didnt know that a degree in football exists.

But go for it. I think usually they would have different levels and its for everyone no matter what the ability.
Original post by Kholmes1
Ohh for a minute there I was thinking that the degree you wanted to was Football or something. I was thinking to myself what a stupid idea is that I didnt know that a degree in football exists.

But go for it. I think usually they would have different levels and its for everyone no matter what the ability.

Haha no, I'm doing a law degree! I don't quite know what the structure is but if it's like you say and there's different groups for different abilities, then that'd be really encouraging!
Reply 4
There should be a societies faire sort of thing at the beginning to the year, so make sure you go and ask how it works! It should be fine though I'd imagine. :smile:
Most uni sports clubs will have lots of beginners / ameatuers so don't worry and I'm sure they'll be recreational as well as competitive sessions :smile:
I like yourself am gonna join some sports clubs like maybe snow sports or gymnastics as I like these sports but haven't done them in ages and I expect for such sports that there will be other newbies haha :biggrin: can't wait !
Reply 6
I've wondered this. Hated P.E. in school and got turned off sports, and in general I'm just a very poorly coordinated and slow thinking person, so even though now I'd really like to try several sports I haven't had the balls to do it in first year of uni (well, tried badminton for a bit, embarrassing). Just doesn't feel like it'd be fair on all the others, even at beginner level I would be inferior to every other beginner. But if you're naturally okay at them it should be fine, you'll pick it up.
most big uni sports (incl football) will have several levels of competition, from very competitive people who may have played for their county/town etc to very recreational levels for people who are new
Original post by cuppa
There should be a societies faire sort of thing at the beginning to the year, so make sure you go and ask how it works! It should be fine though I'd imagine. :smile:

I'll be sure to! Thank you :smile:
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I've wondered this. Hated P.E. in school and got turned off sports, and in general I'm just a very poorly coordinated and slow thinking person, so even though now I'd really like to try several sports I haven't had the balls to do it in first year of uni (well, tried badminton for a bit, embarrassing). Just doesn't feel like it'd be fair on all the others, even at beginner level I would be inferior to every other beginner. But if you're naturally okay at them it should be fine, you'll pick it up.

I'm the same! P.E was such an awful time. I think with a bit of practice I could learn how to kick a ball in the right direction, my aim is already OK as I do archery at the moment but using hands and feet produce very different results for me aha. I'm just trying to shake things up a bit for uni, try new things that just aren't me and see how it goes.
Original post by doodle_333
most big uni sports (incl football) will have several levels of competition, from very competitive people who may have played for their county/town etc to very recreational levels for people who are new

I hope that's the case. Maybe if I start at the very bottom, I can work my way up to more competitive levels as my skills and confidence grows!
Original post by CarryOn
In September, I'll be heading off to uni and I'd quite like to take up a sport (I'm thinking football) but I haven't played it since I was 7 or 8 years old!

How would I slip into a uni sports team when most of the players will have been playing that sport all throughout their education?

As others have said - just do it. You might still be quite good! That said though, there are more ways than one to play footie at uni without joining a club. You could club together with some mates and start a regular football session at the sports centre for example.
just go for it, they'll have lots of people signing up who havet really played since, but then again you might find the level too high. i joined squash without ever playing before and before i knew it i was at a good level quickly.
Original post by CarryOn

See if you can join a club in summer or play with friends to bring up your level a little
Reply 14
If you are not that good, act like you're having fun and be friendly to everyone. Then they'll take you in their team. Best thing about uni sports is the conditioning trainign you get. You will automatically get better after a few games.

Quick Reply