The Student Room Group

Is it worth taking a gap year even if you make your offer?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tanyapotter
What degree have you done? I hope what you say applies for an engineering degree. I know that I'd want someone with a 1st working on an Airbus for me compared with someone with a 2:1 (just safety reasons xD) because the latter would indicate a slightly diminished grasp of the fundamental mathematical and physical knowledge needed to apply them successfully

I did Chinese with Japanese for my degree.

That's the biggest load of ******** I've ever heard. A 2:1 proves enough grasp of the essential knowledge. If you got a 2:2, you'd have to worry, but getting a 2:1, you'll have no worries, provided you get suitable experience outside the classroom as well. Bar very niche masters programmes at Oxbridge, there are no benefits of getting a 1st. Experience is all that matters. Even after a few years, your degree classification becomes irrelevant and your experience is what gets you jobs-I know because I have family who work in recruitment in a variety of sectors.
(edited 7 years ago)
Okay. Even if it goes against my principles of always getting the best possible results that I can?

Don't listen to them, most graduate schemes ask for above a certain UCAS points, usually above the equivalent of BBB. If you get lower than this I would advise resitting.
Physics is SO on the boundary for me, but unlike for you, it's the boundary between a B and an A (and not between an A and an A* xD)

I had to cram the whole of unit 5 the night before my exam and didn't do a single past paper for it because I took a nap for one hour too long that night :frown: (and was majorly stressed out from the exam before) ugh

Aww bad luck there :frown: I had a few maths exams like that - this was such a clutch exam season for me :lol:
Original post by super_kawaii
I did Chinese with Japanese for my degree.

That person is spewing the biggest load of ******** I've ever heard. A 2:1 proves enough grasp of the essential knowledge. If you got a 2:2, you'd have to worry, but getting a 2:1, you'll have no worries, provided you get suitable experience outside the classroom as well. Bar very niche masters programmes at Oxbridge, there are no benefits of getting a 1st. Experience is all that matters. Even after a few years, your degree classification becomes irrelevant and your experience is what gets you jobs-I know because I have family who work in recruitment in a variety of sectors.

I highly doubt that there are no benefits of getting a 1st.. surely?! I agree that experience is also very key, though. Are you sure you're not being biased at this point?
Original post by Student403
Aww bad luck there :frown: I had a few maths exams like that - this was such a clutch exam season for me :lol:

Ironically, I found FP2 to be one of the best modules I did this year xD (And D2 was the worst because my body physically rejects the amount of ******** I have to learn for that module. Wish I took M3 :/)
I highly doubt that there are no benefits of getting a 1st.. surely?! I agree that experience is also very key, though. Are you sure you're not being biased at this point?

No, I'm talking from experience here. Apart from a very few niche courses at Oxbridge, there is no benefit to getting a first. I know people who work in recruitment and the thing that matters most is experience. A minimum of a 2:1 is nothing but a tick in the box. Plus after a few years of working in a career, it's ALL about your experience and what you've learnt in your previous job and how you can apply it to your new job.

By all means aim for a 1st, but as long as you have a minimum of a 2:1 and experience you're good to go for the vast majority of graduate positions.
Ironically, I found FP2 to be one of the best modules I did this year xD (And D2 was the worst because my body physically rejects the amount of ******** I have to learn for that module. Wish I took M3 :/)

What exam board were you on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I thought as much. Thanks - I'm looking at no lower than AAAB (most likely AAAA) so, given the overwhelming advive on this thread, I'll likely just go to university this year.

D1 was also bull**** :l

Ah well it's over - no worries
I thought as much. Thanks - I'm looking at no lower than AAAB (most likely AAAA) so, given the overwhelming advive on this thread, I'll likely just go to university this year.

If you get even only one A I wouldn't bother resitting tbh, an A grade is a pretty good grade
No, I'm talking from experience here. Apart from a very few niche courses at Oxbridge, there is no benefit to getting a first. I know people who work in recruitment and the thing that matters most is experience. A minimum of a 2:1 is nothing but a tick in the box. Plus after a few years of working in a career, it's ALL about your experience and what you've learnt in your previous job and how you can apply it to your new job.

By all means aim for a 1st, but as long as you have a minimum of a 2:1 and experience you're good to go for the vast majority of graduate positions.

Curious as to what you define as niche

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's all relative tbh, when you've aimed at an A* since you began a levels, and you end up with an A due to off day etc. It feels like a slap in the face

Posted from TSR Mobile
Getting a 1st doesn't set you up for success. My friends and I all have jobs or 100% confirmed masters programmes places, unlike my friends who have 1sts, who don't have anything confirmed yet. Your degree is just a tick in the box, so while it's important to do well, it's also important to maximise your extra curricular activities and experience which you can do year round, both in term time in the holidays.

what about for when applying for phds? genuine question .. . . .
Original post by drandy76
Curious as to what you define as niche

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very few courses.

A 2:1 is more than enough to be successful post graduation
What exam board were you on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

AQA
Original post by duncanjgraham
what about for when applying for phds? genuine question .. . . .

PhDs it could help with funding, but apart from that, no, no benefit. Your master's grade will also affect PhDs to an extent.

I know a girl who got straight onto a PhD with a 2:1 Bachelors
(edited 7 years ago)
It's all relative tbh, when you've aimed at an A* since you began a levels, and you end up with an A due to off day etc. It feels like a slap in the face

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most people in the world would not be complaining if they achieved an A grade at a-level, I know I wouldn't have complained even though I got A*'s in some of my units when I did mine. I get what you're saying about aiming high, but unless you want to get into somewhere like Oxbridge it doesn't really matter much in the grand scheme of things
AQA

Oh, I think M3 was pretty bad this year for OCR and AQA iirc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Very few courses.

A 2:1 is more than enough to be successful post graduation

I was asking for examples

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was asking for examples

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't personally know as it is not relevant to my career goals, but I know there will be some.

In the vast majority of times, there is honestly no benefit to having a 1st.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending