The Student Room Group

Is this A-Level subjects combination possible?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rxns_00
That's probably because people who do further maths A level are likely to be doing maths at uni... Hence find it easy. I hope you appreciate people of average mathematical ability will find the further modules challenging?

For most of a reasonable Maths ability (low A at A level) the Further Modules really will not be that challenging. They will not be a walk in the park as previously described by someone but they are not what i would describe as a challenge. In my opinion they are more like running, the physical act of which is not difficult at all but to do or understand but when you vary the terrain or length it can become more taxing. Hence practice in required same principal to the FM units. Often the principal or method is easy the way he question become challenging is to test synoptic knowledge as a subpart to the q. This is similar to varying the length or time of a run and only time investment and practice will get you to the point of being able.
Original post by Apolexian
Goodluck with that easy A* considering you are doing 6 math modules a year.. including at least on "3" module, be it FP3,S3 or M3..Easy maybe, but 100% it requires work.

:laugh: 6 is the norm, no?
you will have to work very hard but if you work super super hard and you think its necessary go for it or mayb you could try it out and if your struggling mayb your school will let you drop the ones that seem unnecessary

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midgeymoo17
For most of a reasonable Maths ability (low A at A level) the Further Modules really will not be that challenging. They will not be a walk in the park as previously described by someone but they are not what i would describe as a challenge. In my opinion they are more like running, the physical act of which is not difficult at all but to do or understand but when you vary the terrain or length it can become more taxing. Hence practice in required same principal to the FM units. Often the principal or method is easy the way he question become challenging is to test synoptic knowledge as a subpart to the q. This is similar to varying the length or time of a run and only time investment and practice will get you to the point of being able.

Maybe I didn't specify - units such as FP1-2, M1-2, S1-2 both decision units shouldn't be a problem. By further units I meant going into M3, M4, M5, even FP3. They're not going to be an "easy A*", is what I mean
Original post by Student403
It depends on the person.

Of course they will. But then again people of "average" ability don't usually take FM

Yes but in this context, the person doesn't seem to be particularly concentrated on maths and is still unsure of choices and career, and as they want to do further maths as an A level, I wouldn't assume they have a standard of mathematical ability for an "easy A*"
Reply 45
Original post by tanyapotter
Maths, Further Maths and Physics is 100% manageable. Add Chemistry and it becomes more difficult, but still possible. Add History and you are seriously spreading yourself too thin. Add Economics and it's extremely, extremely unlikely that you will have enough time for each subject in a way that ensures you get the top grade in them all.

Not to mention trying to get that perfect 1600 or 36 on the SAT/ACT!
Original post by rxns_00
Maybe I didn't specify - units such as FP1-2, M1-2, S1-2 both decision units shouldn't be a problem. By further units I meant going into M3, M4, M5, even FP3. They're not going to be an "easy A*", is what I mean

Fair enough but you do not have to do any off those units you can just do:
C1,C2,C3,C4,FP1,FP2,M1,M2,S1,S2,D1,D2 and cash in Further Maths without touching those other units you mentioned. If you were to do additional further maths well thats another question but Furthe Maths itself is perfectly accessible.
Original post by Midgeymoo17
Fair enough but you do not have to do any off those units you can just do:
C1,C2,C3,C4,FP1,FP2,M1,M2,S1,S2,D1,D2 and cash in Further Maths without touching those other units you mentioned. If you were to do additional further maths well thats another question but Furthe Maths itself is perfectly accessible.

See but a lot of people and schools do not allow such a combination. Unless you self teach, many schools don't even bother with D2 and swap it for a further pure or mechanics module

Quick Reply

Latest