The Student Room Group

There is no such thing as 'islamophobia'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QE2
Unicorn.
Loolol.

Spoiler

Unicorn? I'm talking about the definition of islamaphobia. Did you quote the right person?
Original post by D00
Most Muslims aren't on a killing spree because most of them, thankully, are human beings, and at the end of the day use their innate biological function to be peaceful and kind.

But this doesn't hide the fact that violent, bigoted, hateful text in the Quran exists. Because it does. And to some Muslims who take their faith very seriously indeed, this can outpour into their own hate, specifically towards gay people, atheists and women.

Not all Muslims are violent right? So anti-Muslim bigotry is not legitimized?
Reply 62
Original post by D00
Homophobia is an act of aggresion against someone's sexuality, something they can't help. It's akin to racism, and sexism - all biological.

'Islamophobia' is a word used by people to silence those who criticise a religion, which is a mere set of beliefs, or an ideology.

A phobia means an 'irrational' fear of something. But I would say it's impossible to have an irrational fear over an irrational collection of beliefs, which ultimately stem from one single book....

Ok thank you for explaining and making me understand to distinguish the differences. :smile:
Reply 63
Original post by champ_mc99
Unicorn? I'm talking about the definition of islamaphobia. Did you quote the right person?
You said...
"Well there is such a thing if it's in the dictionary. Lol."

Well, "unicorn" is in the dictionary, so by your logic, there is such a thing.
Original post by Onde
True. Most individuals who consider themselves Muslims have a disconnect from the qur'ans commands on violence against unbelievers, and do not follow them.

However, if group has a central ideology to commit acts of violence and terror on the unbelievers, (like the Muhammadists do with the qur'an), that ideology should not be treated any differently from groups more commonly associated with terrorism, such as Al-Qaeda.

I never said otherwise. The original poster I quoted gave a suggestion on how bigotry might be legitimised.
Original post by QE2
You said...
"Well there is such a thing if it's in the dictionary. Lol."

Well, "unicorn" is in the dictionary, so by your logic, there is such a thing.

The word exists does it not?
Not all Muslims are violent right? So anti-Muslim bigotry is not legitimized?

Of course not but not all Muslims follow Islamic teachings in their literal form either.

[video="youtube;E5QvRg0Q2gU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5QvRg0Q2gU[/video]

Douglas Murray could not be more right on this issue.
Reply 67
The word exists does it not?
The word "unicorn" exists, therefore the thing that it is describing must also exist.

Brilliant!
Original post by QE2
The word "unicorn" exists, therefore the thing that it is describing must also exist.
Brilliant!

Unicorns don't exist in physical reality. The words unicorn and islamaphobia do exist right? The OP said it doesn't right (hint: title of thread)?
Have you read the title of this thread? Just answer with a simple yes or no, is there such a thing as islamaphobia?

10/10 for the red herring tho.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by welshiee
Of course not but not all Muslims follow Islamic teachings in their literal form either.

[video="youtube;E5QvRg0Q2gU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5QvRg0Q2gU[/video]

Drifting from the point on whether bigotry is acceptable.
Reply 70

A genuine discussion on the Islamicness of ISIS between qualified people, free from hystrionics, name calling and hand-wringing PCness that comes with involving politicians and lay-people.
A must-listen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06sb42j
Reply 71
Original post by D00
I agree with the hijab situation, I understand that is a hate-crime and unacceptable.

But on the topic of hijabs, isn't this piece of equipment sexist? It's sole purpose is to cover the woman. Why don't men wear this piece of clothing? The status of women in Islam is a very worrying one, anyway..

Sorry, but there is no such thing as an irrational fear of a religion.

It's like saying you have an irrational fear of fairies, pixies or the ginger bread man.

Ideologies that require zero per cent evidence and fact does not make someone, an unbeliever, fear them 'irrationally'.

Actually men do hve one called the jubbah, and women arent forced to wear it in islam (but they are in certain countries which actually goes against the teachings of islam). Both women and men are to dress modestly, unfortunately society sees a women being covered and thinks she is being forced. What about nuns? they cover themselves too.

As for those claiming they are liberating female by removing their hijab, they arent as they are just removing their option. Society is somewhat forcing women to look certain ways aswell as dress certain ways.... dosent seem many people are concerned.

Anyway, the point is anyone should be able to dress the way they want, all islam emphasizes on is that they should dress modestly
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by QE2
A genuine discussion on the Islamicness of ISIS between qualified people, free from hystrionics, name calling and hand-wringing PCness that comes with involving politicians and lay-people.
A must-listen.

Read Maajid Nawaz's book and you'll discover the truth. He is an ex extremist who knows more than most about the underlying causes. You will always get evil branches of Islam when the roots themselves are somewhat corrupted.
Reply 73
Unicorns don't exist in physical reality. The words unicorn and islamaphobia do exist right? The OP said it doesn't right (hint: title of thread)?
Have you read the title of this thread?
The title is "There is no such thing as Islamophobia".

With all due respect, I would suggest that there is no such thing as a unicorn.

Now, the words describing both things exist. Do you still insist that they must both exist because they have words to describe them?

Just answer with a simple yes or no, is there such a thing as islamaphobia?
No.

10/10 for the red herring tho.
Hardly a red herring if I was responding to a point that you made regarding the subject of the thread. :confused:
Reply 74
Read Maajid Nawaz's book and you'll discover the truth. He is an ex extremist who knows more than most about the underlying causes. You will always get evil branches of Islam when the roots themselves are somewhat corrupted.
I'm a big fan of Nawaz - "the acceptable face of Islam".
One of the panel on that Radio 4 programme is the Managing Director of Quilliam (the organisation Nawaz works for). Even the imam on there admited that ISIS are Islamic.
As I said, worth a listen.
Reply 75
Original post by Onde
True. Most individuals who consider themselves Muslims have a disconnect from the qur'ans commands on violence against unbelievers, and do not follow them.

Mate, get yourself educated before commenting on something you clearly have no clue about. There is above 1.6 billion Muslims, to say that 99.99999% of Muslims who dont go killing people randomly are all disconnected from the qur'an is utter foolishness.

16,000 muslims terrorists (if there are that many) is only 0.00001% of the muslims population. As for the violent verses, you need to look at the context and tafsir. Moderate muslims read the quran atleast once every year and they probably stumble across the verse, main reason the educated ones dont go out killing ppl is cuz they research it, something you should do sir.
Original post by Stormz1
Mate, get yourself educated before commenting on something you clearly have no clue about. There is above 1.6 billion Muslims, to say that 99.99999% of Muslims who dont go killing people randomly are all disconnected from the qur'an is utter foolishness.

16,000 muslims terrorists (if there are that many) is only 0.00001% of the muslims population. As for the violent verses, you need to look at the context and tafsir. Moderate muslims read the quran atleast once every year and they probably stumble across the verse, main reason the educated ones dont go out killing ppl is cuz they research it, something you should do sir.

Anjem Choudary is educated and believes in Sharia and so forth. So do many other Islamic scholars.
Reply 77
Anjem Choudary is educated and believes in Sharia and so forth. So do many other Islamic scholars.

Lol please learn what the shariah is. The shariah law is a set of regulation every Muslim must follow just like any British citizen must abide by the British law. It covers every aspect of life.

There is no book of shariah and the Quran does not outline everything in the shariah. Most of shariah is from ahadith, however if it is against the teachings of the quran is not to be applied. The shariah is implemented in different ways depending on the interpretation and situation.

Please explain how the shariah allows random killing?
Reply 78
Original post by Stormz1
Actually men do hve one called the jubbah, and women arent forced to wear it in islam (but they are in certain countries which actually goes against the teachings of islam).
There was a discussion on here recently and the consensus amongst Muslims (including the females) was that wearing the hijab is compulsory.

Both women and men are to dress modestly, unfortunately society sees a women being covered and thinks she is being forced.
If you believe that it is compulsory in your religion, and you are a devout believer, then by definition, you have no option but to wear it.

What about nuns? they cover themselves too.
Erm, that's a uniform that is required by a specific job. :confused:

As long as u dress modestly, a hijab isn't necessary.
That is your opinion.

Society is somewhat forcing women to look certain ways aswell as dress certain ways.... dosent seem many people are concerned.
How is society forcing women to look certain ways? Do you mean advertising and media?
Just a minute. If being told by god himself to dress a certain way isn't being "forced", how is the media forcing them?
Are you saying that the power of advertising is greater than the power of Allah?

Anyway, the point is anyone should be able to dress the way they want, all islam emphasizes on is that they should dress modestly
So, people should be able to dress how they want, as long as it is "modestly"?
Sounds a bit like the colour options for the Model-T!
Original post by QE2
The title is "There is no such thing as Islamophobia".

With all due respect, I would suggest that there is no such thing as a unicorn.

Now, the words describing both things exist. Do you still insist that they must both exist because they have words to describe them?

No.

Hardly a red herring if I was responding to a point that you made regarding the subject of the thread. :confused:

I wasn't arguing whether they exist in physical reality. The OP argued that the word does not exist.

Lol Islamaphobia according to you does not exist. So anti-Muslim bigotry does not exist? Please look up the definition for Islamaphobia before replying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending