The Student Room Group

Craziest Random Laws?

What's the craziest thing you've ever heard is legal/illegal somewhere? The internet may not be a fully reliable source, but some of them are pretty amusing if they are true!

Here are some of my favourites:
In Switzerland it is illegal to own one guinea pig, you have to own at least two.
In Pennsylvania, it is illegal to sleep on top of a refrigerator outdoors (but it is legal indoors)

Let's hear them :rofl:

Scroll to see replies

I love the guinea pig one, I wish that law existed everywhere! Guinea pigs need company to be happy, we can't have them going lonely :frown:
Original post by Changing Skies
I love the guinea pig one, I wish that law existed everywhere! Guinea pigs need company to be happy, we can't have them going lonely :frown:

I'm sure @CoolCavy agrees too :ninja: :lol:
Apprently to fall dead in parliament is illegal
Original post by SuperHuman98
Apprently to fall dead in parliament is illegal

I think that's true, I've heard that one before :curious:
In Svalbard, a Norwegian foreign territory, it is compulsory to carry a gun in case of a polar bear attack, but also illegal to die. The cemetery there stopped accepting more people about 70 years ago; it was so cold that the bodies did not decompose, so attracted polar bears to the settlement. Now, if you are diagnosed with a terminal illness or are otherwise expected to die imminently, you are required to leave to mainland Norway.
Original post by SummerStrawberry
In Svalbard, a Norwegian foreign territory, it is compulsory to carry a gun in case of a polar bear attack, but also illegal to die. The cemetery there stopped accepting more people about 70 years ago; it was so cold that the bodies did not decompose, so attracted polar bears to the settlement. Now, if you are diagnosed with a terminal illness or are otherwise expected to die imminently, you are required to leave to mainland Norway.

I wonder if you have to carry a gun if you're there on holiday :tongue:
Original post by Gingerbread101
I wonder if you have to carry a gun if you're there on holiday :tongue:

If you leave the main settlement of Longyearbyen, you have to go with a gun, and someone who knows how to use it in order to defend against a polar bear attack. So I guess whilst the average tourist needn't carry a gun, someone with one must be with them.

Sensible, really, but it's the law against dying that gets me. Apparently there's actually a number of towns that have banned dying for one reason or another. I'm not sure exactly how they intend to punish those convicted of such a heinous crime, however!
What's the craziest thing you've ever heard is legal/illegal somewhere? The internet may not be a fully reliable source, but some of them are pretty amusing if they are true!

In Switzerland it is illegal to own one guinea pig, you have to own at least two.
In Pennsylvania, it is illegal to sleep on top of a refrigerator outdoors (but it is legal indoors)

It is still an offence to beat or shake any carpet rug or mat in any street in the Metropolitan Police District, although you are allowed to shake a doormat before 8am. (this is from the UK)

it is illegal to allow people to knowingly get drunk in a public house (you can get drunk and the land lord is liable)
(edited 7 years ago)
In Alabama it is illegal to wear a fake moustache that causes laughter in church.

It is perfectly legal to shepherd a herd of Geese!!! over bridges in the city of London. York- can kill any Scotsman outside the city walls

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DreamlinerFinder
It is perfectly legal to shepherd a herd of Geese!!! over bridges in the city of London. York- can kill any Scotsman outside the city walls

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty sure there's some legal ways of killing Scotsmen with a bow and arrow or something near me around the border:lol:
Since the 14th century it has been illegal to wear a suit of armour into Parliament. Apparently it was because the king was worried his nobles would try to kill him otherwise?
Isn't attempting suicide illegal?
Reply 15

You can kill a Scotsman in York at noon on a Tuesday with a crossbow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Pretty sure there's some legal ways of killing Scotsmen with a bow and arrow or something near me around the border:lol:

Nahh, that's just cause no one likes them so you look the other way

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its illegal in New Jersey its illegal to kill someone wearing a bulletproof vest!
Reply 18
Original post by FireFreezer77
Its illegal in New Jersey its illegal to kill someone wearing a bulletproof vest!

In certain states of America you can wield a butterfly knife so long as you have only one arm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's illegal in Britain for any animal to try and mate with the Queen's corgis (apparently:K::K::K:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending