The Student Room Group

My sibling drinking @ 17 - slightly worried

Hi,

So I am 24 years old and I only started drinking - well very tiny sips of spirits recently. The thing is, I have noticed that my sister has had drinks before at the age of 17 and even recently took shots with me at a mates party - where even I did not want to take the shots. I told her that we are both not doing it but in the end I was pressured to do it.

The thing is, I was brought in a strict household and I wouldn't dare do something like drinking underage before getting parental consent. I am just respectful of my parents. I asked them if I could drink at 24 and they said yes - however my sister did it behind all of our backs. I just fear that she may go on to do other things that I may not necessarily approve of such as smoking weed.

I don't know what to do and people are calling me a wuss and a mummy's boy. To be fair, I appreciate family value and being brought up in such a culture I would usually make a confession

Scroll to see replies

Not condoning underage drinking or anything, but drinking under the age of 18 doesn't necessarily mean a gateway to other things. It's just a case of making sure she's with people/friends who will keep her safe, surely?

I started drinking when I was 15, and was frankly bored of if by the time I was 19 and the whole rebellious novelty wore off... But that's just me. :biggrin:
Reply 2
to start, drinking under the age of 18 is 100% legal as long as it's in a private location and the alcohol was purchased by someone of age

second though you probably don't have anything to worry about, obviously keep an eye on her and make sure she's being responsible but kids her age and younger drink all the time. I don't think it's necessary to alert your parents to her behaviour so long as you can keep an eye on her yourself, but don't ruin her fun, she's probably just trying to fit in with people, she'll get bored of drinking eventually
To be honest OP I'm more worried about you not doing spirits until you were 24 than her doing so at 17
Reply 4
i have friends who started drinking at the age of 12.. 😵

Posted from TSR Mobile
drinking spirits at that age is pretty normal, most people I knew started doing it regularly at around 16 at house parties and such.
I wouldn't be too worried about her getting onto heavier stuff but you know her and we don't, if you're concerned then just talk to her and say that you're worried. although in my experience 17 year olds are more inclined to try something if strictly warned off it...
That's what most 17 year olds do, drink alcohol
Reply 7
Original post by gtswattsy16
To be honest OP I'm more worried about you not doing spirits until you were 24 than her doing so at 17

Why you worried? Are you worried because I am still healthy and well at 24? Are you worried that my liver is somewhat better than others who may have been drinking at a younger age? Underage drinking has SEVERE consequences - whether you choose to believe that or not is a different story altogether
Reply 8
Original post by george_c00per
That's what most 17 year olds do, drink alcohol

Well in my days it was similar - but I still refrained from it.
Reply 9
You see it as a taboo when it's not. She'll drink too much and learn some lessons, that's just the way it goes.
Loads of girls in my class drink and they always brag about it. Even my best friend (17) constantly talks about how much she loves drinking wine
Reply 11
Original post by FXX
You see it as a taboo when it's not. She'll drink too much and learn some lessons, that's just the way it goes.

Well, we were brought in a strict household. She told my alcoholic father NOT to drink and he gave up for her. Now she drinks - so that makes her a hypocrite. What do you want me to do?
Reply 12
Original post by timokane5
Why you worried? Are you worried because I am still healthy and well at 24? Are you worried that my liver is somewhat better than others who may have been drinking at a younger age? Underage drinking has SEVERE consequences - whether you choose to believe that or not is a different story altogether

Younger people are better equipped to deal with alcohol. Getting rat arsed once in a while will do no damage. Continuous excessive drinking is the problem, which is a big step on from what you're talking about.

Bet you're fun at parties
Reply 14
Well, we were brought in a strict household. She told my alcoholic father NOT to drink and he gave up for her. Now she drinks - so that makes her a hypocrite. What do you want me to do?

She's no hypocrite if she's not an alcoholic.

I think you should let her get on with it.
Reply 15
Original post by FXX
She's no hypocrite if she's not an alcoholic.

I think you should let her get on with it.

Yeah sure, why not LOL
Reply 16
Yeah sure, why not LOL

Why do you need to interfere?
Reply 17
Original post by Jenx301
Bet you're fun at parties

Oh, so you need to drink to have fun at parties. Wow, the stereotype nowadays.

I dance at parties, and talk to people. Don't need alcohol to talk to people mate
Reply 18
Original post by FXX
Why do you need to interfere?

Oh I don't know, maybe because I am a caring brother
Reply 19
Oh I don't know, maybe because I am a caring brother

controlling*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending