The Student Room Group

Oxbridge for a subject I'm better at, or a more practical option?

This poll is closed

Possibility of e.g. Oxford PPE or e.g. Warwick CompSci?

Oxford PPE (possibility, I would have to get in) 85%
Warwick CompSci (think I could almost definitely could get in if I set my mind to it)15%
Total votes: 13
Basically, I'm 'good' at most of my subjects - but where I seem to do the best is in philosophy; I'm also going to take Econ A-level and have a feeling I could do pretty well in it :smile:

I'm currently down to do Maths, FM, Philosophy&Ethics and Economics.

I think I (will) prefer the Philosophy/Econ side but I know that the Maths is more important for CompSci, which will give me far more employment opportunities. However, my Maths is good (high A* at IGCSE taken early) but not GREAT so I would basically be unable to get into Oxbridge. On the other hand, I might be able to get in for something like PPE or E&M, where I think I'm quite a bit better.

Do I sacrifice Oxbridge for a uni like Warwick (obviously a great uni, but it's not Oxbridge) for CompSci, or do I go with what I think I prefer and am better at, with the possibility of Oxbridge, but risking major employment troubles with rising automation?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do what you want at the place you want. Life is too short to spend 4 years doing one subject when you'd be enjoying another more.
Robots stealing your job in the future shouldn't be a factor in your decision, do what you enjoy. PPE often leads to journalism, broadcasting, finance and public service anyway, sectors which are unlikely to see mass unemployment due to advanced robotics.

Actually I lied, strike public service off that list. Our politicians are already robots.
What do you plan on doing after uni?
Reply 4
pick a uni based on the course not based on the reputation.
Reply 5
Original post by BasicMistake
Robots stealing your job in the future shouldn't be a factor in your decision, do what you enjoy. PPE often leads to journalism, broadcasting, finance and public service anyway, sectors which are unlikely to see mass unemployment due to advanced robotics.

Actually I lied, strike public service off that list. Our politicians are already robots.

Haha :smile: The thing is, finance for example is highly likely to see a lot of automation tbh - the question is when. For example, huge amounts of trading are carried out by computers. Also, Oxford PPE is one thing; York/Durham/LSE PPE is different... If I try for Oxford PPE, I either apply for PPE everywhere else or apply for other courses (e.g. Philosophy&Econ at LSE) but then wouldn't LSE wonder why I didn't want to do PPE there after reading my PS?
Reply 6
Original post by fefssdf
pick a uni based on the course not based on the reputation.

I get that in theory, but uni has two purposes: education and opening doors for employment. Reputation can be gained by course strength (e.g. Warwick Maths, although that's also research) or mainly by other factors, such as history in the case of Oxbridge. I imagine most employers care more about reputation than your specific course - I can't really imagine them reading through pages of course descriptions; so even if the course is better for me, the uni might not have the best rep in the subject and so on... I guess it should be *that* simple, but I don't really think it is.
Have you only just finished GCSEs? If so, wait until you start your A Levels so you can see what the subjects are like at that level.
Reply 8
Original post by Tiger Rag
What do you plan on doing after uni?

I'm honestly not sure; 'Business' interests me, but that's so crazily broad it's not saying a huge amount - maybe finance if I get lucky and get onto a graduate scheme. I'm not certain about programming as a long-term thing, particularly as I then won't be anywhere near the best so may be barred from top jobs in the same way my mathematical ability bars me from the top university (I know things can change but you get my gist...)
Reply 9
Original post by HelpMe3756
I get that in theory, but uni has two purposes: education and opening doors for employment. Reputation can be gained by course strength (e.g. Warwick Maths, although that's also research) or mainly by other factors, such as history in the case of Oxbridge. I imagine most employers care more about reputation than your specific course - I can't really imagine them reading through pages of course descriptions; so even if the course is better for me, the uni might not have the best rep in the subject and so on... I guess it should be *that* simple, but I don't really think it is.

bare in mind that going to warwick will make it harder to get a 2:1 or above so although you'll be the small fish in the big pond you might find yourself performing rather below par compared to the other big fish. I think it will be beneficial in the long run to be one of the better kids at a less ranked uni and manchester is still very good so idk i feel like your're overthinking this.
Haha :smile: The thing is, finance for example is highly likely to see a lot of automation tbh - the question is when. For example, huge amounts of trading are carried out by computers. Also, Oxford PPE is one thing; York/Durham/LSE PPE is different... If I try for Oxford PPE, I either apply for PPE everywhere else or apply for other courses (e.g. Philosophy&Econ at LSE) but then wouldn't LSE wonder why I didn't want to do PPE there after reading my PS?

A lot of subjects are non-vocational. Even if you are heavily subscribed to the concept of technological unemployment, the skills you pick up doing your degree and in employment are transferable and you won't find yourself permanently without a job. Please don't consider the prospects of being a slave to our robot masters when deciding on your degree.
Reply 11
Original post by Legendary Quest
Have you only just finished GCSEs? If so, wait until you start your A Levels so you can see what the subjects are like at that level.

I know - My plan is to keep my current a-levels. But I want to live, eat, sleep my subjects :smile: And it's hard to know whether to focus on the Phil/Econ side or on the Maths side; one's more important for courses like PPE, the other for CompSci. So whilst that will probably be what I'll do, after flip-flopping back and forth, it would be better to do something like Maths,FM, Physics (or Computer Science), and Economics for CompSci, in terms of mathematical emphasis...
Reply 12
Original post by BasicMistake
A lot of subjects are non-vocational. Even if you are heavily subscribed to the concept of technological unemployment, the skills you pick up doing your degree and in employment are transferable and you won't find yourself permanently without a job. Please don't consider the prospects of being a slave to our robot masters when deciding on your degree.

It's not just robots, and I'm not saying it will happen instantly. There's also more uni grads than in our parents' generation (a great thing for society, but bad for the individual generally) and far more international competition. My CompSci argument is that I could do 'generalist' stuff with that, because I would also pick up skills as well as technical knowledge.

Also, think of the careers that existed 50 years ago, and how difficult it was to enter them. Many are eradicated, or all but eradicated now. Our generation will be working until at least our 70's (or at least trying to) since we are projected to live so long, unless we individually become very rich and retire early or something huge happens...
Reply 13
Original post by fefssdf
bare in mind that going to warwick will make it harder to get a 2:1 or above so although you'll be the small fish in the big pond you might find yourself performing rather below par compared to the other big fish. I think it will be beneficial in the long run to be one of the better kids at a less ranked uni and manchester is still very good so idk i feel like your're overthinking this.

Sorry, the decision is between Oxbridge PPE/E&M/etc. if I got in, or Warwick CompSci (knowing I lack the mathematical ability to get into Cambridge or probably Oxford CompSci). Of course, I might apply somewhere else - Warwick just caught my eye in terms of course and reputation for sciences - but I think reputation is ultimately quite important, at least for employers.
Sorry, the decision is between Oxbridge PPE/E&M/etc. if I got in, or Warwick CompSci (knowing I lack the mathematical ability to get into Cambridge or probably Oxford CompSci). Of course, I might apply somewhere else - Warwick just caught my eye in terms of course and reputation for sciences - but I think reputation is ultimately quite important, at least for employers.

ohhh i see you haven't applied yet well in that case just apply for oxbridge and warwick a few other Brussel groups : i wish you all the best xx
Reply 15
Original post by fefssdf
ohhh i see you haven't applied yet well in that case just apply for oxbridge and warwick a few other Brussel groups : i wish you all the best xx

The thing is, I'm not sure between subjects. So the thing is, I'm better (I think) at Econ-y stuff than Mathsy stuff (although I'm 'good' at both) - so do I do something I'm better at with fewer employment possibilities, or go for CompSci, which I'm worse at (at least on the Maths front)? That's the toughie... (at least I'm finding it tough, although of course I can change my mind given I'm doing Maths+FM a-levels whatever)

The thing is, I'm not sure between subjects. So the thing is, I'm better (I think) at Econ-y stuff than Mathsy stuff (although I'm 'good' at both) - so do I do something I'm better at with fewer employment possibilities, or go for CompSci, which I'm worse at (at least on the Maths front)? That's the toughie... (at least I'm finding it tough, although of course I can change my mind given I'm doing Maths+FM a-levels whatever)

Try and just wait till you've started alevels cause you might find that your subject preferences change . I did psychology just as an extra subject but ended up really enjoying it so try to have an open mind :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by fefssdf
Try and just wait till you've started alevels cause you might find that your subject preferences change . I did psychology just as an extra subject but ended up really enjoying it so try to have an open mind :smile:

I know I should... but the 'tactical' part of me feels like if I'm gonna do compsci I'm wasting time focussing a lot of my efforts on Phil/Econ (or vice versa). TBH I've pretty much decided that's what I'll do; I'll just have to have this whole issue again in a year haha

Although of course I could get a shock and get, say, an A in English Lit GCSE, which might scupper or severely reduce my chances in an essay subject at a top uni like Oxford or LSE... :O
(edited 7 years ago)
I know I should... but the 'tactical' part of me feels like if I'm gonna do compsci I'm wasting time focussing a lot of my efforts on Phil/Econ (or vice versa). TBH I've pretty much decided; I'll just have to have this whole issue again in a year haha

Ahh I feel sorry for you cause I basically decided in year 11 that I was gonna apply for maths and didn't change my mind but I guess for some people it's a lot more complicated ; I'm sure it'll work out in the end
Reply 19
Original post by fefssdf
Ahh I feel sorry for you cause I basically decided in year 11 that I was gonna apply for maths and didn't change my mind but I guess for some people it's a lot more complicated ; I'm sure it'll work out in the end

Perks of being an 'all-rounder' (minus all the stuff like Geography and DT that I dropped ASAP haha... and don't even talk about PE...) It's annoying in a way though haha. But I know at the end of the day it's unlikely to have a HUGE difference, and I'm in a privileged situation to have multiple choices :smile:

If you're not already at uni, enjoy Maths and good luck :smile: Out of interest, where are you (going)?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending