The Student Room Group

How much board should I pay???

I'm 16 and wondering how much board I should be paying as my dad wants me to pay it as my dad talks away about how he was working full time when he was 16 and how he had to pay board.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
£0 if you are not in capacity to earn.

Your education is more important, although slaving away for £7 an hour does teach you the value of money.

Edit: I have done both, studied at PhD level and slaved away for £7 an hour. Everyone in their lifetime should experience this, will teach them a lot.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 2016_GCSE
I'm 16 and wondering how much board I should be paying as my dad wants me to pay it as my dad talks away about how he was working full time when he was 16 and how he had to pay board.

My daddy was the same, however he recognised that I was in sixth form, which he never did.
Reply 3
Original post by fg45344
£0 if you are not in capacity to earn.

Your education is more important, although slaving away for £7 an hour does teach you the value of money.

Edit: I have done both, studied at PhD level and slaved away for £7 an hour. Everyone in their lifetime should experience this, will teach them a lot.

Is it necessary though, like I'm about to start uni and never have had a job before... And I'd like to think I understand the value of money doing an economics degree 😂

Quick Reply