The Student Room Group

France "must learn to live with terrorism" -French Prime Minister

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sternumator
Security services are already doing all they can. .

No they are not, and the people saying this are the members of the the Commission of Enquiry into last year's atrocities.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36711604

Why aren't Romania and Poland experiencing terrorist attacks?

UK, France, Germany, Sweden, Spain, Italy, Bulgaria, Belgium, Denmark, Bosnia, Albania, Russia and Turkey all have experienced at least one terrorist attack.

Spot the pattern emerging here. Also, look at this list - same countries time and time again:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_in_the_European_Union
Original post by Fugggggg :DDD
http://www.itv.com/news/update/2016-07-15/french-pm-france-is-at-war-with-terrorists/

"Times have changed and we should learn to live with terrorism. We have to show solidarity and collective calm. France has been hit in its soul on the 14 July, our national day."

How can this guy be fucxing serious??

Has he just handed the country over to Front Nationale?

We have already had a thread on this, so why bother starting a new one?

You have clearly taken it out of context and applied a meaning to it that it clearly does not have.

He is just saying for the immediate future terrorism is going to be here to stay as a long term problem. That is just realism. No good sticking your head in the sand or thinking it was just a one off incident.

It doesnt mean he approves, accepts or will not fight and try to deal with it.

Learning to live with terrroism, is becoming more vigilant, reporting suspicious activities or objects that might be bombs. Same as citizens of the UK did when they were under attack from the IRA for many years.
Original post by welshiee

Why aren't Romania and Poland experiencing terrorist attacks?

UK, France, Germany, Sweden, Spain, Italy, Bulgaria, Belgium, Denmark, Bosnia, Albania, Russia and Turkey all have experienced at least one terrorist attack.

Spot the pattern emerging here. Also, look at this list - same countries time and time again:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_in_the_European_Union

Because they arent frontline nations and they arent busy bombing the crap out of ISIS. Much more impact if the developed western nations are attacked rather than Romania, although I cna understand why you think its important....
Original post by nulli tertius
No they are not, and the people saying this are the members of the the Commission of Enquiry into last year's atrocities.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36711604

Okay but they could put all that money into improving that and there would still be attacks. Security services can't stop every attack.
Why are you apologising for ISIS?

I'm not by any stretch of the imagination; I'm pointing out that the knee jerk policies are at best ineffective, at worst counterproductive.

It does not have to be the cause to stop it having an impact. The terrorists that committed previously atrocities had easily travelled all around Europe, including to Brussels in Belgium, to coordinate an attack. Are you suggesting it would be just as easy for them without Schengen? Such idiocy. Go and try taking a load of armed ammunition into Romania in the back of a white van and see how far you get. Every time I've driven into Romania I've had dogs sniffing my car for drugs and weapons. Can you tell me of an Islamic terrorist attack on Romanian soil please?

Not having an open border isn't going to stop attacks - as demonstrated by the numerous attacks on America, 7/7 here, the troubles Turkey has faced... What has opened France up is a substandard intelligence service, not having an open border.

If France basically enforces a military police state it can keep people out.

Ignoring that the French more than most have reasons to oppose a military state, the underground counter culture and rebellions still exist in a police state.

If raiding Mosques opens up Muslims to extremism then there's quite clearly a massive problem there. If a country protecting its own interests is enough to push you to extremism against it then the problem is you, not the country.

If that protection involves victimising you, treating you as an suspect and guilty until proven innocent and disrupting your life based on nothing more than some adherents of the same religion being utter ***** then the problem is hardly with you.

I know, but heightened security and tighter border controls will also help. It needs to be a multi pronged approach.

The EU's free movement most definitely has played a part in terrorists moving freely around the continent and coordinating attacks.

If it didn't, why did France call to suspend Schengen? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/11998301/Paris-attacks-France-to-call-for-effective-suspension-of-Schengen-open-borders.html

Hollande wanted to close it, in somewhat of a horse already bolted approach, to try and stop them perpetrators disappearing, hence why he wanted a code that would allow emergency shutdown in response to intelligence. It's not that free movement is enabling attacks, it's utilising all of the EU to catch those that do attack.

That's about the external borders and allowing deeper checks on EU citizens arriving from a third country, not internal movement as such.

Extra security will stop attacks occurring because security is not just more people on the ground but the measures taken at a higher level to stop the threat.

You talked about extra security in public places, not a stronger intelligence service as a whole.

Original post by offhegoes
Well, if he's Muslim than I think that is what many right-wingers expect of him.

I'm not, so that's a bit of a pointless assumption.
Original post by 999tigger
Because they arent frontline nations and they arent busy bombing the crap out of ISIS. Much more impact if the developed western nations are attacked rather than Romania, although I cna understand why you think its important....

Essentially. That map shows three distinct groups - the immediate entry into the middle east, the portion of Western Europe that is participating in the bombings on Iraq and Syria, and the others. Not really surprising that those closest and the major opposers of the terrorist groups are attacked most frequently.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Essentially. That map shows three distinct groups - the immediate entry into the middle east, the portion of Western Europe that is participating in the bombings on Iraq and Syria, and the others. Not really surprising that those closest and the major opposers of the terrorist groups are attacked most frequently.

You have to take into account the poster putting forward what they think is a rational argument. Doubt they even believe it themselves.
Many counterterrorist policies are yet to be established in France, namely:

Making the viewing of Jihadi websites illegal and instantly be tracked from then on;

Reforming the penitentiary system as a whole, one of the major causes for the rise of extremism
What next? Women must learn to live with being raped by horny economic migrants?

We already expect them to live with being raped by horny natives...
http://www.itv.com/news/update/2016-07-15/french-pm-france-is-at-war-with-terrorists/

"Times have changed and we should learn to live with terrorism. We have to show solidarity and collective calm. France has been hit in its soul on the 14 July, our national day."

How can this guy be fucxing serious??

Has he just handed the country over to Front Nationale?

Not if they change foreign policy...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nonsense. France, like every other country will always face an external threat, but unlike other countries now faces an internal threat. Why haven't Islamists blown other parts of Europe, like Poland, to bits then? Maybe because their ******** would not be tolerated internally and the Polish people would not pander to their ridiculous demands.

1) Leave the EU, EEA and Schengen Area
2) Enforce strict border controls with military level checks at the point of entry
3) Raids on Mosques to root out extremist hubs and the closing down of faith schools
4) Raids on known terrorist targets within France and use it as a reason to export them if they are not French nationals
5) Introduction of deradicalisation facilities throughout the country
6) Put in place a new counter terrorism plan with higher security presence in key public places

So, there's a lot of things France can do in an attempt to combat terrorism. The notion that it must learn to live with it is ****ing ridiculous.

Any nation that is not stupid would implement the above, they will not do so however, as they are so weak.

Also the countries with more Muslims than the others. Poland and Romania, for example, have very few.
Original post by Sternumator
Okay but they could put all that money into improving that and there would still be attacks. Security services can't stop every attack.

No other western country has suffered an armed assault on its population on anything like the scale of France which has now suffered several such attacks. All other western countries have faced traditional bombings or much smaller scale events.

There has not been a large scale attack launched in the UK since the Glasgow airport plot of 2007. Plenty have been disrupted by the security services. That is almost 10 years.
I'm not by any stretch of the imagination; I'm pointing out that the knee jerk policies are at best ineffective, at worst counterproductive.

Not having an open border isn't going to stop attacks - as demonstrated by the numerous attacks on America, 7/7 here, the troubles Turkey has faced... What has opened France up is a substandard intelligence service, not having an open border.

Ignoring that the French more than most have reasons to oppose a military state, the underground counter culture and rebellions still exist in a police state.

If that protection involves victimising you, treating you as an suspect and guilty until proven innocent and disrupting your life based on nothing more than some adherents of the same religion being utter ***** then the problem is hardly with you.

Hollande wanted to close it, in somewhat of a horse already bolted approach, to try and stop them perpetrators disappearing, hence why he wanted a code that would allow emergency shutdown in response to intelligence. It's not that free movement is enabling attacks, it's utilising all of the EU to catch those that do attack.

That's about the external borders and allowing deeper checks on EU citizens arriving from a third country, not internal movement as such.

You talked about extra security in public places, not a stronger intelligence service as a whole.

I'm not, so that's a bit of a pointless assumption.

Sorry to break this to you, but he is right, you do appear to be a terrorism apologist / enabler.
Original post by 999tigger
You have to take into account the poster putting forward what they think is a rational argument. Doubt they even believe it themselves.

Why is sexual harassment also higher in European countries with more Muslims?
**** politicians

This is what Hillary had to say..

"Our alliance with France is so strong and it's terrible that France has faced so many tragedy and violence. We need to stand strongly with them. We need to strengthen our alliances and I include NATO in that."

These people in power are insane they never learn. This war on terror they continue to push has caused nothing but trouble. The world was a lot safer before this war on terror started wasn't it? I sure as hell don't remember all these terror attacks and migrant crises happening before 9/11...

You can't vote for the Left or Right, they both seem to follow the same ideology when it comes to foreign policy. Pro-NATO, pro-interventionist, pro-regime change...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by The_Opinion
Any nation that is not stupid would implement the above, they will not do so however, as they are so weak.

European countries with more Muslims:

- higher incidence of terrorist attacks
- higher incidence of sexual harassment
- higher incidence of rape
- higher incidence of civil disobedience

These are just the statistical facts but of course its all down to foreign policy.
European countries with more Muslims:

- higher incidence of terrorist attacks
- higher incidence of sexual harassment
- higher incidence of rape
- higher incidence of civil disobedience

These are just the statistical facts but of course its all down to foreign policy.

As to admit to these facts would mean that they would have to admit that they were wrong regarding immigration, so they must blame something else.
Original post by The_Opinion
As to admit to these facts would mean that they would have to admit that they were wrong regarding immigration, so they must blame something else.

I'm not blaming immigrants. I'm blaming politicians who have purposefully flooded Europe to suit their own political and economic aims. The same as America did with exploitation of Mexicans in the South.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending