The Student Room Group
1 - Yes, I did believe in God when I was younger. I began losing my faith when a few different things happened in my life which made me question God's supposed loving, healing nature. I also realised that a lot of Christian views (particularly in terms of gay marriage, abortion and contraception) weren't compatible with my own views. There are many more reasons why I ended up losing my faith, but those are two of the main ones.

2 - The majority of my family is atheist, although a few members are Catholic.

3 - No, I am happy with my lack of belief in a deity.
Original post by tianshan
- Have you believed in God at any point in your life? If so, how did you lose your faith?

- What religion is your family?

- Would you want to believe in God?
- I did originally when I was young (i.e. lower half of primary school), but only because it was rammed down my throat at school. I began to question it as I reached the upper half of primary school moving into secondary school as my scientific knowledge advanced, and thus I came to the conclusion that it was a load of drivel.

- My family is a mixture of atheist and Christian.

- At times I think it would be nice if a place called heaven did exist for those who pass away, as it would certainly alleviate my fear of death. But then at the same time I don't like the idea of having my life directed by some supreme being, essentially forcing me to believe and act as religious teaching decrees. That's true as far as a god of scripture goes. As for simply a 'creator' god, who is otherwise passive in the universe and does not bother his/herself with the affairs of little ants like humanity, I guess I'd be pleased that I'd now have an answer as to how the universe was created, but then this just raises the bigger question of 'who created the creator?', so it would only provide limited satisfaction. I would also be slightly scared that such a crazy-powerful being existed, and I'd feel a lot less safe as a result of this. So overall, no I do not wish that a god actually did exist.
(edited 7 years ago)
- Have you believed in God at any point in your life? If so, how did you lose your faith?

I was born and baptised a catholic, mostly to make my devout grandmother happy. My mother is a disillusioned divorced catholic who lost her faith when our priest literally told her she would go to hell for divorcing her first husband.
My father is an atheist who was brought up an atheist. Obviously I lacked any real religious influence growing up, only attending church for christmas and easter.

I'm perfectly happy, as I believe that it is better for me to live a good life and be kind for no reason other than to be a good person, and think that the belief that good deeds are rewarded in the afterlife is a rather selfish outlook.

"God prefers a kind atheist over a hateful Christian"
~someone, probably
Reply 4
1. I was Christian until I was 6 or 7. I was really into dinosaurs and a teacher told me that 'dinosaur bones were planted by Satan to make people doubt that God made the world in seven days.' I was promptly un-Christian. As I grew older I remained atheist/agnostic for different reasons

2. All my family is Christian or Catholic

3. People get a lot of comfort from religion and a sense of community. I don't know if I wish I was still religious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Was an indoctrinated fool. Put childish beliefs behind me as my knowledge increased.

My Family is predominantly Christian, C of E or Catholic.

It would be great if there was an afterlife, I don't think the religious waffle of Heaven would be great though.
- Have you believed in God at any point in your life?

1. No

2. None

3. No
Reply 7
1. I did believe in God as i was brainwashed by the environment i was brought up in, many sleepless nights and stress trying to find the meaning of life and trying to find anything supernatural. One day i just gave up on it and never went back to religion ever since, guess what? It was the best decision i made in my life.

2. I don't think it matters what they believe in because all religion is the same but they do believe in religion.

3. Nope i don't want to go back to those days again, i'm tired of it. Unless there was 100% proof of something supernatural i will stay without believing in a God.

My answer:

Spoiler

1- No. I thought it was like santa to make children behave.... I remember asking my teacher when I was about 8 years old who is older cavemen or god..... and not understanding why she was pissed haha.

2- Parents are christians, older brother and sister are atheists, no idea about 2 younger sisters

3- Hell no, all the good things that feel good in life are considered bad by every western religion, I'd rather enjoy my life.
People living in suffering and self-induced misery hoping for an afterlife of paradise makes me sick.

My answer:

Spoiler

Nope, never believed in my life
Hindu
No - I like that we can live our lives without being given arbirtary reason and meaning for our existence
1 - I went to a somewhat Christian school, so I saw God more as a fairytale figure than a deity - I tried praying a couple of times, but i was never truly a theist and couldn't see the logic in doing something that from what i could tell wasn't going to make a difference.

2 - My mother is Church of England but my parents never wanted to force faith on me so there's never been any pressure

3 - If I could push a button and have faith (in the good, rather than blind, sense) temporarily, then yes. I think there's something comforting about the idea, but I also believe that we don't need a reason for being. I'm quite content without a divine purpose, and actually the idea of living in a certain way for the off-chance of a better time when I'm dead is terrifying. I prefer living for the reason of living now :smile:
1. I used to as a child, however it just seemed stupid to me
2. All of my family is catholic
3. I don't believe there was a "creator" we are just here because of luck.
Have you believed in God at any point in your life? If so, how did you lose your faith?
No, I was forced in to and was label as lazy because I didn't want to go to a mosque. I was never interested, unlike my other two sisters. I also failed an exam when at the mosque. I was also didn't know I had dyslexia so reading the Quran in Arabic and learn Urdu was hard. I didn't want to go but there were days where I was forced to go.
They are all Muslims but only fast, my dad pray sometimes on Friday but I think that it. They give out to charity sometimes.
No, I'm happy with my life because without God I have so much freedom to be me.
Not an atheist. But:

1. Yes. I did. I used to be Muslim, but left the religion because after reading the Quran in detail, I did not agree with it.
2. My family is Muslim.
3. Yes, if there was concrete evidence.

My answer:

Spoiler

I believed in the Christian god as a child, but I stopped believing pretty much as soon as I realized that god's existence wasn't a settled fact.
The majority of my family is Christian, but the ones I live with are atheists.
I don't think I would. I notice that a lot of people who believe in god seem very complacent. They don't seem curious and act as if everything is figured out and comfortable. The last thing I'd want is to stop asking questions. I'm not saying all theists are like this, but a lot of the ones I know are.
Original post by Jolhihilhil
I believed in the Christian god as a child, but I stopped believing pretty much as soon as I realized that god's existence wasn't a settled fact.
The majority of my family is Christian, but the ones I live with are atheists.
I don't think I would. I notice that a lot of people who believe in god seem very complacent. They don't seem curious and act as if everything is figured out and comfortable. The last thing I'd want is to stop asking questions. I'm not saying all theists are like this, but a lot of the ones I know are.

Interesting experience but this thread is 5 years old…

Latest

Trending

Trending