The Student Room Group

Have you ever been in this situation?

A couple months ago I met an awesome guy. We've hung out a few times and we are like two peas in a pod. There's never a dull moment and I have really started to let my hair down around him. I was willing to give things a go..

The situation as it stands... We both don't have great jobs, we live at home with our parents and neither of us has a car. My living situation means i can't have people over - Ever.

He doesn't get along with his family, has lots of personal family issues going and money problems. He wants to move out, but his funds won't allow him, basically his house is a no go.

In hindsight we don't have anywhere we can just chill out and going out all the time will become expensive of course. I did see this as a negative in the beginning but not enough to just call it a day. However he decided to just give up on it since he doesn't have anywhere we could go and vice versa. Also his living situation has quickly become worse, in a way he wanted to be able to escape everything and hangout. I am a little annoyed I can't lie, I am just trying to detach myself from the situation and him.

Can anyone understand why he is coming from? Ever been in a similar situation?
No
Talk about the best motivation to work, save money and move out. ygm?
Reply 3
Original post by TorpidPhil
Talk about the best motivation to work, save money and move out. ygm?

Yep this situation has definetly made me more determined to move out
If he really wanted this relationship to work, he would understand that at the moment the situation wont allow you both to be alone together in a room, and he would wait until this situation would pass and you both were more financially stable to either: move out or use hotels. You guys can still hang out in public and although the privacy isn't there, at least you guys will be with each other. Being in a room isn't everything. You can talk it out with him to see if he is really serious about this relationship (imo he isn't, really), alternatively, you could just move on and wait till you are more financially stable/find someone who is accepting of your current situation. Good luck.
Original post by Anonymous
A couple months ago I met an awesome guy. We've hung out a few times and we are like two peas in a pod. There's never a dull moment and I have really started to let my hair down around him. I was willing to give things a go..

The situation as it stands... We both don't have great jobs, we live at home with our parents and neither of us has a car. My living situation means i can't have people over - Ever.

He doesn't get along with his family, has lots of personal family issues going and money problems. He wants to move out, but his funds won't allow him, basically his house is a no go.

In hindsight we don't have anywhere we can just chill out and going out all the time will become expensive of course. I did see this as a negative in the beginning but not enough to just call it a day. However he decided to just give up on it since he doesn't have anywhere we could go and vice versa. Also his living situation has quickly become worse, in a way he wanted to be able to escape everything and hangout. I am a little annoyed I can't lie, I am just trying to detach myself from the situation and him.

Can anyone understand why he is coming from? Ever been in a similar situation?

Try to talk to your parents about his situation.
Yep this situation has definetly made me more determined to move out

Experienced itself myself and yeah it just sucks.

I'm gonna move out in two years. That's my plan!
Whats wrong with your place like????
Reply 8
Original post by sameehaiqbal
If he really wanted this relationship to work, he would understand that at the moment the situation wont allow you both to be alone together in a room, and he would wait until this situation would pass and you both were more financially stable to either: move out or use hotels. You guys can still hang out in public and although the privacy isn't there, at least you guys will be with each other. Being in a room isn't everything. You can talk it out with him to see if he is really serious about this relationship (imo he isn't, really), alternatively, you could just move on and wait till you are more financially stable/find someone who is accepting of your current situation. Good luck.

Thanks it's not really about having privacy. Its about the freedom. He has alot of personal issues and i guess in a way he is trying to escape it all.

I have dated someone in the same predicament as me before and it became very hard to find things to do. There's only so many times you can hang out in the park when you are almost hitting 30.
Reply 9
Original post by ckfeister
Try to talk to your parents about his situation.

Thanks. At this point in time i think I know what I have to do. I'm at the age where it's time I moved out anyway.

Original post by TorpidPhil
Experienced itself myself and yeah it just sucks.

I'm gonna move out in two years. That's my plan!

Good luck! Im giving myself a year, thanks for understanding.

Original post by TheSaint1995
Whats wrong with your place like????

It's out of bounds.

It's out of bounds.

Your embarrassed aren't you. Dont be, if he is your future soul mate he wont judge if he does its not worth it.
This is why you don't date when you're not in a good place.
Your embarrassed aren't you. Dont be, if he is your future soul mate he wont judge if he does its not worth it.

My family has just been through alot over the last 6/7 years. Our living situation isn't great, but it's getting better. My rents just don't have people over and I have to respect that.

Original post by 0to100
This is why you don't date when you're not in a good place.

Indeed. You can't help falling for people sometimes though...
And have you spoke to your parents and asked them if he can come over?
And have you spoke to your parents and asked them if he can come over?

It's not an option. I don't even have to ask

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending