The Student Room Group

C3 functions

http://www.examsolutions.net/a-level-maths-papers/Edexcel/Core-Maths/Core-Maths-C3/2008-June/paper.php#Q4
part c
i got for the inverse 1x1\frac{1}{x} -1 which told me that it's a graph of 1x\dfrac{1}{x} translated on unit down

so i thought the range was f(x)<1f(x)< -1

but it's not why is that?
[QUOTE=thegreatwhale;66469010]http://www.examsolutions.net/a-level-maths-papers/Edexcel/Core-Maths/Core-Maths-C3/2008-June/paper.php#Q4
part c
i got for the inverse 1x1\frac{1}{x} -1 which told me that it's a graph of 1x\dfrac{1}{x} translated on unit down

so i thought the range was f(x)<1f(x)< -1

but it's not why is that?

Because it links into the domain of the original function. Do you agree that the range of f(x) is less than 1/4?
Original post by RDKGames
Because it links into the domain of the original function. Do you agree that the range of f(x) is less than 1/4?

i don't quite understand...
[QUOTE=thegreatwhale;66469846]i don't quite understand...

Sketch f(x) for X>3 and tell me the range that you find
Sketch f(x) for X>3 and tell me the range that you find

i've sketched it but i don't know how i can get the range from it....
[QUOTE=thegreatwhale;66470300]i've sketched it but i don't know how i can get the range from it....

Plug in X=3 and the range is everything less than that answer. Hence why you exclude the equal bit, JUST less than. So range is everything less than f(3)
Plug in X=3 and the range is everything less than that answer. Hence why you exclude the equal bit, JUST less than. So range is everything less than f(3)

so x<3 ???
[QUOTE=thegreatwhale;66470388]so x<3 ???

Are you getting confused between range and domain? Domain is what you are allowed to PLUG IN, range is what you get out as a result of plugging in the domain. So when you plug in X=3, you get 1/4. From your sketch you should see that as X increases from 3, the y value gets smaller and smaller thus the range is less than 1/4.

For the inverse, the domain the range of the original therefore the domain would be X<1/4 for the inverse.
Are you getting confused between range and domain? Domain is what you are allowed to PLUG IN, range is what you get out as a result of plugging in the domain. So when you plug in X=3, you get 1/4. From your sketch you should see that as X increases from 3, the y value gets smaller and smaller thus the range is less than 1/4.

For the inverse, the domain the range of the original therefore the domain would be X<1/4 for the inverse.

if i plug in 3 into 1x1 \dfrac{1}{x} -1 i get 23-\dfrac{2}{3} not 0.25 >.>
[QUOTE=thegreatwhale;66470630]if i plug in 3 into 1x1 \dfrac{1}{x} -1 i get 23-\dfrac{2}{3} not 0.25 >.>

I said into f(x), you are plugging it into f-1(X)
I said into f(x), you are plugging it into f-1(X)

oh shintezewizel that's why i got a weird answer.... ah thanks so f(x)>0.25 ??
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1468788955.160967.jpg

Hence answer to part c is between 0 and 1/4 for x

The 0 comes from the fact that the range for the original function is between 0 and 1/4; it never reaches 0.

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE=thegreatwhale;66470806]oh shintezewizel that's why i got a weird answer.... ah thanks so f(x)>0.25 ??

No, less than that, observe your sketch for X>3 (assuming you got it right)
No, less than that, observe your sketch for X>3 (assuming you got it right)

tried looking at the graph for a while and the graph isn't very tall but goes on long for "infinity" but the range is the height so it's from 0 to 1/4 ???
Original post by thegreatwhale
tried looking at the graph for a while and the graph isn't very tall but goes on long for "infinity" but the range is the height so it's from 0 to 1/4 ???

Exactly. So that becomes the domain for its inverse then.
Exactly. So that becomes the domain for its inverse then.

thanks a bunch

Quick Reply

Latest