The Student Room Group

Did really well in GCSEs, did badly in AS

Basically i got 10 A*s in gcses last year but this year i did really badly in some of my exams and i'm getting predicted AAAC. I really didn't try hard enough and it's all my fault and I don't know what to do.

Scroll to see replies

Retake exams next year, ya smart gluteus maximus.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Basically i got 10 A*s in gcses last year but this year i did really badly in some of my exams and i'm getting predicted AAAC. I really didn't try hard enough and it's all my fault and I don't know what to do.

Firstly - those are not results to be upset about! But I won't linger on that point.

I think it's really normal to have a dip in your results in AS. It's a big jump from GCSE and the skills required are very different - examiners want more analysis and critical thinking and it's a jump even if you're already on a GCSE A* level of ability.

I remember in my GCSEs I got 2 A*s, 6 As and a B, then for AS I got something like AABCC. I managed to pull it together in second year and came out with A*A*A. Many, many students who get A*s in their overall A level results do not get A* at AS. They get a high grade like an A or a B and they build on it.

I'm guessing you might be worried as you have to give your predicted grades on your UCAS. The thing is, unless you are looking at Oxbridge those results are fine for any university. Even at Oxbridge, taking into account your GCSE results you could still have a shot. They also put emphasis on interview performance and extra-curricular activities; they want well rounded people.

Basically - you are gonna be fine, seriously.
Don't worry too much. I was in a similar position. 13 A*-Cs at GCSE then 5 ASs at B-D. This did mean I had to lower my expectations of what unis I could apply to but through searching for lower grade boundary unis, I found one that I've now made my firm because I loved the short experience I had there. I understand you're worried but AAAC really isn't that bad. The only places you might struggle at are Oxbridge. Besides, you have another chance. I don't know how retakes are going this year but talk to someone at your college/sixth form/wherever you're at. :smile:
Them predictions are amazing. I got predicted A* A* A* A, im totally ****ed.
Reply 5
Original post by abc:)
Firstly - those are not results to be upset about! But I won't linger on that point.

I think it's really normal to have a dip in your results in AS. It's a big jump from GCSE and the skills required are very different - examiners want more analysis and critical thinking and it's a jump even if you're already on a GCSE A* level of ability.

I remember in my GCSEs I got 2 A*s, 6 As and a B, then for AS I got something like AABCC. I managed to pull it together in second year and came out with A*A*A. Many, many students who get A*s in their overall A level results do not get A* at AS. They get a high grade like an A or a B and they build on it.

I'm guessing you might be worried as you have to give your predicted grades on your UCAS. The thing is, unless you are looking at Oxbridge those results are fine for any university. Even at Oxbridge, taking into account your GCSE results you could still have a shot. They also put emphasis on interview performance and extra-curricular activities; they want well rounded people.

Basically - you are gonna be fine, seriously.

What subjects? Wow
Original post by College_Dropout
Them predictions are amazing. I got predicted A* A* A* A, im totally ****ed.

Don't you think posting your incredibly high predictions is a tad unnecessary especially since the OP feels inadequate about theirs?
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Don't you think posting your incredibly high predictions is a tad unnecessary especially since the OP feels inadequate about theirs?

Incredible high? Its terrible
Incredible high? Its terrible

Ah ok. I'll just leave this here.

image.jpg
Reply 9
Original post by Rajive
What subjects? Wow

English Lit, Critical Thinking and Spanish. People often scoff at Crit thinking and put it on the same level as General Studies (which I can't comment on cause I've never done it) but it's honestly been one of the most useful subjects I've ever done - I use it in every single essay I've done since.

I've always been reaaally crap at Maths though and not great at Science either. I don't know my times tables...
Don't worry ; I know people with straight A's who got ABBC and BBBC grades at AS ; AAAC is really good if you're not planning on doing the ' c' subject at uni ? I got AAAB and was so upset but just realise you'll have three really good AS grades so just clam down
Ah ok. I'll just leave this here.

image.jpg

Well done, aren't you are smart one.

Well done, aren't you are smart one.

Nah I just thought your obvious troll attempt was incredibly pathetic. Very immature for a guy in their 20s( assuming you finished your A levels 2 years ago). Nothing intelligent about observing a guy who needs to grow up. Good night.
Nah I just thought your obvious troll attempt was incredibly pathetic. Very immature for a guy in their 20s( assuming you finished your A levels 2 years ago). Nothing intelligent about observing a guy who needs to grow up. Good night.

Appreciate the insight. Although I most likely wont take any of it on board, It would seriously be inconceivable to listen to a someone who cant grasp simple humour inlight of a ridiculous thread, but what else should I expect from someone who watches result videos on youtube and plays games for 24hrs straight? I take it you have social issues?
Appreciate the insight. Although I most likely wont take any of it on board, It would seriously be inconceivable to listen to a someone who cant grasp simple humour inlight of a ridiculous thread, but what else should I expect from someone who watches result videos on youtube and plays games for 24hrs straight? I take it you have social issues?

Wasn't funny. And pretty sure I was at a house party yesterday lmao. Perfectly normal for people to watch results day videos though. Done with you now so goodnight to the 20 year old who still uses this forum.

image.jpg
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks so much everyone for your advice. I actually realised today that my predictions aren't final yet so my maths grade can still change to an A* after results day. I'm not going to be applying for Oxbridge but hopefully to some top unis. thanks
Original post by abc:)
Even at Oxbridge, taking into account your GCSE results you could still have a shot. They also put emphasis on interview performance and extra-curricular activities; they want well rounded people.

nah oxbridge doesn't care about extra curriculars
Original post by Student403
nah oxbridge doesn't care about extra curriculars

They do if its relevant.
Original post by champ_mc99
They do if its relevant.

that's called "super curricular"
Lol guys I'm not going to apply to Oxbridge tho. Firstly, the course is probably hard af and I'm going to be the most dumb one there. Plus, I want to stay in London due to family reasons.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending