The Student Room Group

I got a third class degree, should I go to my graduation ceremony?

I would feel embarrassed
Don't see why you shouldn't go, if you want to go. Most uni's don't mention your classification and those that do only mention first class awards.
Original post by princess pokey
I would feel embarrassed

Only if your parents would like to go. I went to my BSc but not my PhD ceremony. They are really borring and you have to spend loads hiring the gowns.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Why does anyone go? Pointless *******s.
Original post by TeachChemistry
Only if your parents would like to go. I went to my BSc but not my PhD ceremony. They are really borring and you have to spend loads hiring the gowns.

Wait? You don't get to keep the gowns and hats?
Reply 5
You might as well go as even though you didn't get a first or something this is still a monumental day and it would be a good memory to have :biggrin: I think you'd regret it if you didn't turn up and you wouldn't be the only one getting a third class so don't worry !
Original post by EdwardBarfield9

If I wanted to buy my PhD gown it would be £500. No way, Jose.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TeachChemistry
If I wanted to buy my PhD gown it would be £500. No way, Jose. *

I'm a sad panda
I would feel embarrassed

Your results wont' be announced, the worst it'll be is fellow students being nosey and asking you what you got. If you enjoyed your time at uni and would like to commemorate the time then you should go, if you didn't enjoy it and would rather move on, then don't.
Original post by EdwardBarfield9

you may purchase them if you wish
I would feel embarrassed

You got a degree be proud of that
You should go and celebrate that you have come so far. You might regret it later if you don't and it is not like they will announce which student obtained which class of degree. Just go there and have fun!
For some, such a result would be a result of partying, too much social media, not studying etc, but for my friend I can attest it was none of those things. Before her second year exams at uni, which is 100 % exams she had an unfortunate situation to deal with, she had time ( 2 months) off but missed out on some lectures. In such cases its best to wait / postpone but she wanted to plough ahead... trying her utmost best.(BA in Marketing)

In her 3rd year of uni both she had serious financial issues.
Now i know what you all are going to say....claim mitigating circumstances , she did in her 3rd year, it was denied as the stipulated threshold was not met. It should be something that was unforeseen, you know like ET physically blocking your path to UNi, holding you hostage and of course ringing them up to demand a ransom.....and the police being deployed... you know unforeseen...

Anyways, she was depressed and thought her life was over but I felt differently and I let her weep for a while then told her a few things, which i will be sharing here NOW.

1. In this job market, a 3rd class is BAD, there is no sugar coating it. Do not do a Masters to say ..look I have done a bit better here. It makes no sense. However, I leave leeway for those that studied LAB subjects , Bio medical or if you went to OXFORD etc. But, for the SOCIAL SCIENCES subjects NO!! unless you already have a job in a company you want to stay in.

2. Your 3rd class is NOT a life sentence, this is not added to your birth certificate or passport , that you have to declare it. It is not engraved in your forehead.

You do not have to spend your whole life applying for jobs and concealing it and feeling embarrassed about your performance when you were in your 20's, ( most people will)

3. Admit to yourself that you messed up for whatever reason. You wasted some time but LIFE GOES ON

4. Going back to uni is expensive , one may not be able to afford it. Fair enough. You know what you are capable of achieving. DO not give up.

5. MY ADVICE - We have come leaps and bounds where technology is concerned , let technology assist you here. In the case of my friend - 2 months after she got her result, we went to graduation and she smiled and crossed the stage like the rest of us. At this point we had come up with a plan. She had already registered for a Higher National Diploma in Business ( the same qual being taught in uni full time) via distance learning which was costing her less than £4000 spread over 18 - 24 months. Equivalent to the first 2 years of UNI. She found a job ( not in her area ) but it paid okay and paid in installments for her diploma. Before we knew it , she was done in a 1 1/2 yrs - she completed her assignments around her work schedule, most of the topics she was already familiar with so it was not too difficult. So she didn't have to put her life on hold totally to go back to uni.

She is now completing her final year top up - BA in Marketing with a decent uni - online and goes in for a workshops occasionally.

She is my friend so I know that she is not thick, just had a rough time in UNI, but you don't have to carry this for the next 20 yrs hoping someone will notice your wonderful personality and your abilities but disregard your poor qualification. It is getting tougher out here even for 2:1 holders like myself.

We had a good few 2:2 in our year which is acceptable, however she will now be better placed for the job market than many of our peers. With a 2:1 and or 1st class !!!!!

Her initial failure , is so far working to her advantage , as the very company she works for wants 1, or 2:1's for their Grad scheme and she has work experience behind her as well.

BTW - My friend is on course for a 1st class degree if she keeps up her grades, 2:1 at worst.

You can explain away a few years on your CV if you were working part -time etc, don,t know if employers are interested in a sad story and your potential that you cant prove academically.Do not deny yourself the opportunity to apply for grad schemes etc. Yes its another 3 years of your life, try to fit it around your personal life.

You have 20 -30 plus years in the workplace, whether here or abroad, make sure you are doing something that you love.

For some this might be a wake up call to change path completely... why not ? It is allowed.

DOn't sweat it...just keep it moving.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending