The Student Room Group

maths degree + doubts

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fefssdf
So I should be off to do a maths degree in septmeber but i can't help but think I'm gonna hate it. I liked Alevel maths cause it was easy to revise but uni maths is gonna be different and i fear i feel just be so behind and feel like dropping out/ swapping courses. I should be going to a good russel group but i haven't even done further maths since year 12 and I'm terrible at mechanics and hate physics and idk i only like some bits of maths.

any advice ?

I don't care what subject it is; whether Maths or Sociology, but you should not be going to uni to read a subject simply because "it was easy to revise"!

If you enjoy it because it stimulated you and you want to learn it at a deeper level, then that's good enough.

Most likely you will end up hating it if you didn't enjoy it at A-level. Cause when you get to uni honey, it's not a matter of it being "easy". Uni is hard work. Make sure you know what you're getting into!
Original post by fefssdf
The only person I know doing a maths degree is at Warwick but that doesn't help me lol

Doing a Maths degree at Warwick here. I did FM. But by the time I got to Warwick, it's fair to say I forgot all the FM. But not to worry, they will go through it again from the begin, albeit at a faster pace.
I think you should give it a chance, Maths at Uni is quite different from FM. Hell, I'm in my 3rd year now and I can confidently say I'm much worse at FM than I was back during A-levels. I'm terrible at integration, differentiation, the long algebra calculations e.t.c. but I'm managing with the degree fine. That's because the degree is that different. I wouldn't do too well at A-level maths atm.

Also, I don't know about Nottingham and Manchester. But hopefully your course is flexible enough that you will be able to choose things that you're good at and interest you for the most part. I was lucky to have a lot of choice at Warwick because I've basically not done a statistics since the compulsory year one module (difficult wise it's s1/s2). I have done no mechanics also.

TLDR. Maths at Uni is quite different to FM so it's worth giving a chance. You may like it. Also if your uni gives you a lot of options module wise. You should be able to avoid the stuff you don't like. Give it a chance. I had similar worries, too. But it turned out alright.
Also, if you genuinely don't like Maths, then don't do a degree in it. Do a degree in something you're actually interested in.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
I don't care what subject it is; whether Maths or Sociology, but you should not be going to uni to read a subject simply because "it was easy to revise"!

If you enjoy it because it stimulated you and you want to learn it at a deeper level, then that's good enough.

Most likely you will end up hating it if you didn't enjoy it at A-level. Cause when you get to uni honey, it's not a matter of it being "easy". Uni is hard work. Make sure you know what you're getting into!

I do genuinely enjoy maths however my worry is that I wont like uni maths cause I've seen lots of physics type modules so I think I will find it more difficult ; I'm just wondering what the differences are between alevel and degree maths cause I liked alevel but obviously doing a degree is a different story !
Original post by fefssdf
Firm is Nottingham and Insurance is Manchester but they want the same grades lol

Im going Manchester:O, let me know if ya going Manchester on results day but hopefully ya get into ya firm:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by FatherTime
Doing a Maths degree at Warwick here. I did FM. But by the time I got to Warwick, it's fair to say I forgot all the FM. But not to worry, they will go through it again from the begin, albeit at a faster pace.
I think you should give it a chance, Maths at Uni is quite different from FM. Hell, I'm in my 3rd year now and I can confidently say I'm much worse at FM than I was back during A-levels. I'm terrible at integration, differentiation, the long algebra calculations e.t.c. but I'm managing with the degree fine. That's because the degree is that different. I wouldn't do too well at A-level maths atm.

Also, I don't know about Nottingham and Manchester. But hopefully your course is flexible enough that you will be able to choose things that you're good at and interest you for the most part. I was lucky to have a lot of choice at Warwick because I've basically not done a statistics since the compulsory year one module (difficult wise it's s1/s2). I have done no mechanics also.

TLDR. Maths at Uni is quite different to FM so it's worth giving a chance. You may like it. Also if your uni gives you a lot of options module wise. You should be able to avoid the stuff you don't like. Give it a chance. I had similar worries, too. But it turned out alright.
Also, if you genuinely don't like Maths, then don't do a degree in it. Do a degree in something you're actually interested in.

I am interested in maths hence I applied for the course and yes hopefully I can just pick modules that suit my strengths and it's nice to know you managed to avoid mechanics as I personally couldn't even cope with M1
Reply 25
Original post by HFancy1997
Im going Manchester:O, let me know if ya going Manchester on results day but hopefully ya get into ya firm:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yay good to know someone else who could be going there and yeh I really want to go to my firm however I know I will also love Manchester cause of the lovely modern buildings and the city is a lot better so I couldn't care less whether I go there or not ; I just want to go to a uni. Bloody Manchester though said that if you narrowly miss the offer then they might keep you waiting for a few days after results day to decide if you're in or not so you might not here from me lol ; just praying that I got a nice marker for my English paper as I'm confident maths and psychology have made the offer
Reply 26
Original post by fefssdf
This is why I'm worried cause they'll go through it really fast and for alevels I had to spend ages learning the content to try and understand it before it came to revision whereas others I. Know put in little effort but still do well

I know what you mean, because I am a very slow learner and struggled to pay attention in classes (throughout yr13 I was always more than 5 topics behind everyone and couldn't keep up at all). There will be some that will cover the content much faster than others, but don't let it discourage you and just try to learn at your own pace :tongue:
Original post by fefssdf
I am interested in maths hence I applied for the course and yes hopefully I can just pick modules that suit my strengths and it's nice to know you managed to avoid mechanics as I personally couldn't even cope with M1

Your tastes will also change at Uni. I went in thinking I'd definitely only Analysis and calculus stuff. But now, i'm not such a fan of that stuff anymore. So you could end up liking mechanics at uni, who knows. But yeah, in the words of Shia Laboeuf, JUST DO IT.
Original post by fefssdf
I do genuinely enjoy maths however my worry is that I wont like uni maths cause I've seen lots of physics type modules so I think I will find it more difficult ; I'm just wondering what the differences are between alevel and degree maths cause I liked alevel but obviously doing a degree is a different story !

Oh I get you now. Well my question is to you hon: can you see yourself learning to enjoy or even tolerate physics modules? If not, then I strongly suggest you reconsider this uni.

You see it all the time on here about people dropping out of uni because they didn't like their course and have to repay back student finance cause they didn't finish their degree and so forth.

There's nothing wrong with finding your degree difficult, but if you think you won't be able to manage the phy modules, then yeah you should be worried. We all make mistakes. But it's happened to a lot of persons where they go into a degree and start hating their course which effects their motivation, and soon enough, they will develop some form of mental health disorder like anxiety or depression.

So I say to you, make sure you'll be studying something you'll enjoy for 3-4 years! There is help of course if you're struggling but uni isn't like A-levels. You can't just pop in to a lecturer's office and ask for help because uni doesn't give you the answers like that. They often tell you to work it out for yourself because being at uni is all about being independent. If you struggle and fail then you can't blame anyone but yourself.

But as I said, if you can't learn to find a major aspect of your degree tolerable or enjoyable, then in my opinion, it's not worth the hassle. Find a different maths degree that you will enjoy and not cause you this much anxiety and doubt. Those two things I like to call intuition!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by kkboyk
I know what you mean, because I am a very slow learner and struggled to pay attention in classes (throughout yr13 I was always more than 5 topics behind everyone and couldn't keep up at all). There will be some that will cover the content much faster than others, but don't let it discourage you and just try to learn at your own pace :tongue:

For alevels I basically self taught the content at home and would do every single question in the book and then used lessons to further my understanding and then did all the past papers and so I did have a great understanding for the exams but I feel like I had to try too hard just to get an A at the end of the day so I guess at uni I'm gonna have to try a bit harder and work faster as I can't be self teaching stuff before the lectures ; maybe I should just find some clever people and then they can help me hehe :biggrin:
Reply 30
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Oh I get you now. Well my question is to you hon, is can you see yourself learn to enjoy or even tolerate physic modules? If not then I do strongly suggest you reconsider this uni.

You see it all the time on here about people dropping out of uni because they didn't like their course and have to repay back student finance cause they didn't finish their degree and so forth.

There's nothing wrong with finding your degree difficult, but if you think you won't be able to manage the phy modules, then yeah you should be worried. We all make mistakes though. But it's happened to a lot of person where they go into a degree and start hating their course which effects their motivation, and soon enough, they will develop some form of mental health disorder like anxiety or depression.

So I say to you, make sure you'll be studying something you'll enjoy for 3-4 years! There is help of course if you're struggling but uni isn't like A-levels. You can't just pop in to a lecturer's office and ask for help because uni doesn't give you the answers like that. They often to tell you to work it out for yourself because being at uni is all about being dependent. If you struggle and fail then you can't blame anyone but yourself.

But as I said, if you can't learn to find a major aspect of your degree tolerable or enjoyable, then in my opinion, it's not worth the hassle. Find a different maths degree that you will enjoyable and not cause you this much anxiety and doubt. Those two things I like to call intuition!

I kinda hope now that I don't get into uni this time around so I can think more about what I actually want to do as I was considering doing a joint honours course with psychology and maths so I can avoid physics altogether but yeh I guess I'm just gonna have to think seriously and if I'm absolutely hating it after like a month then I may have to swap courses. Thanks for the honest advice :smile: and yeh I get what you meant about the lecturers and stuff not being that helpful like if you don't understand it then you're gonna have to find some other person to explain it :/
I know I want to do maths but just certain aspects of maths I genuinely dislike and find really hard like mechanics especially .
Reply 31
I just finished my second year studying maths, and over the holidays after finishing year 13, I also started worrying that I wouldn't be able to cope with the differences between maths at school and university. Everyone seemed to stress how uni maths is more about understanding rather than learning the format of the exams.

Whilst I haven't really enjoyed my time at uni, it's not because the content is too hard, or exams are a really weird format. I'd say revising for uni exams is pretty much the same as revising for school, so fears in that regard are unfounded.

Good luck, and I hope if you choose to go, you have a really good time!
Reply 32
Original post by FatherTime
Your tastes will also change at Uni. I went in thinking I'd definitely only Analysis and calculus stuff. But now, i'm not such a fan of that stuff anymore. So you could end up liking mechanics at uni, who knows. But yeah, in the words of Shia Laboeuf, JUST DO IT.

Me, like mechanics maybe one day if I get a good enough lecturer who suddenly makes me find it interesting And yeh I know what you mean cause when I spoke to someone whose at Warwick they were saying how ' pure ' maths isn't really what you do st alevel so I figure maybe the pure stuff I'll end up disliking after all
Reply 33
Original post by Telllo
I just finished my second year studying maths, and over the holidays after finishing year 13, I also started worrying that I wouldn't be able to cope with the differences between maths at school and university. Everyone seemed to stress how uni maths is more about understanding rather than learning the format of the exams.

Whilst I haven't really enjoyed my time at uni, it's not because the content is too hard, or exams are a really weird format. I'd say revising for uni exams is pretty much the same as revising for school, so fears in that regard are unfounded.

Good luck, and I hope if you choose to go, you have a really good time!

Ah I'm sorry to hear you haven't enjoyed your time at uni and hope things get better for you. Thanks for the advice and positivity however it's nice to know I'm not the other one whose worried ; can I ask what uni you're talking about ?
Reply 34
Original post by fefssdf
For alevels I basically self taught the content at home and would do every single question in the book and then used lessons to further my understanding and then did all the past papers and so I did have a great understanding for the exams but I feel like I had to try too hard just to get an A at the end of the day so I guess at uni I'm gonna have to try a bit harder and work faster as I can't be self teaching stuff before the lectures ; maybe I should just find some clever people and then they can help me hehe :biggrin:

For Maths, what a lot of people do is form a group and go over what they don't understand; and also go over difficult problems with their tutor during small group sessions. For my applicant days, they strongly recommended us to do this and also to join the Maths Society.

If you're still worrying I recommend going on Youtube and watching funny Maths videos to forget about your doubts and worries :biggrin:
Reply 35
Original post by kkboyk
For Maths, what a lot of people do is form a group and go over what they don't understand; and also go over difficult problems with their tutor during small group sessions. For my applicant days, they strongly recommended us to do this and also to join the Maths Society.

If you're still worrying I recommend going on Youtube and watching funny Maths videos to forget about your doubts and worries :biggrin:

Yeh I will try and do this for sure and yeh I will be joining the maths society ; hopefully I meet some really clever people who have done further maths and they can help me ; preferably hot posh boys as well ...cause uni isn't just about studying
It should be alright tbh
It should be alright tbh, dont worry too much
Reply 38
Dont do it if you think you might not enjoy it. im guessing university maths will be tougher to get than a level maths so you might not enjoy it.
Reply 39
Original post by Ayaz789
It should be alright tbh

Thanks Ayaz Lad :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest