The Student Room Group

Finance & Consulting - Sixth Form FAQ:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gr8wizard10
nice! Mn is right too in the sense that entering into an option is generally cheap exposure to the underlying so you're utilising this notion of leverage, and these derivative gives more leeway into creative though process.

nice to see junior students taking an early interest in finance, although i hope you don't want to enter into trading.

Are you like a teacher to young Trapz and Mn? Lol
Original post by Ladbants
Are you like a teacher to young Trapz and Mn? Lol

doesn't hurt to know a thing or two
Original post by gr8wizard10
nice! Mn is right too in the sense that entering into an option is generally cheap exposure to the underlying so you're utilising this notion of leverage, and these derivative gives more leeway into creative though process.

nice to see junior students taking an early interest in finance, although i hope you don't want to enter into trading.

looooooool I swear that is Trapz's aim
Good thread
I like it. Noice
Original post by MnWhCntBMvd
This doesn't really get to the heart of why you would want to use an option. Why not just go long or short on MFST?

It's all about leverage while minimising downside

Loooooools do you think you're a big man or something.
Original post by hoping4thebest
Loooooools do you think you're a big man or something.

Your mum thought I was big enough
Prince, do you know how competitive the BP graduate scheme is, where you trade commodities? And other benefits of joining such a scheme would be great to hear, e.g exit opps
Original post by glebp
Prince, do you know how competitive the BP graduate scheme is, where you trade commodities? And other benefits of joining such a scheme would be great to hear, e.g exit opps

Completely different business to anything high finance-y.

The scheme puts you in a variety of roles in the back office (scheduling, sometimes on-site) to middle office (trade support) with the aim of instilling in you the way in which physical commods works. It's a very relationships driven role more akin to deal making (i.e. flying to far flung oil/commodities sites to negotiate deals) than regular trading. Exit opps is to actually become a physical trader - most people don't, they get placed in one of the non-trading rotations - and if you're good enough maybe a commods hedge fund or a bank.

Programme is quite competitive - very few spots but a large volume of applicants thinking it's just another trading job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Will econ and stats at a target keep absolutely all the front office options open? Or will I be pigeonholed into IBD. Because i wanna do research but I'm not sure whether you need an econ degree for that
Will econ and stats at a target keep absolutely all the front office options open? Or will I be pigeonholed into IBD. Because i wanna do research but I'm not sure whether you need an econ degree for that

Lol, how are you going to be pigeonholed to IBD?

It's fine man, literally what I have written is the case - outside of quantitative finance positions your degree subject is pretty much moot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Lol, how are you going to be pigeonholed to IBD?

It's fine man, literally what I have written is the case - outside of quantitative finance positions your degree subject is pretty much moot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Coolio, thanks again. How do you respond so quickly?
Coolio, thanks again. How do you respond so quickly?

TSR app is on my home screen

Posted from TSR Mobile
TSR app is on my home screen

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I see

THE TARGETS

(These universities together represent anywhere from 70-80% of front office UK grad intakes)

University of Oxford
University of Cambridge
London School of Economics and Political Science
University College London
Imperial College London
University of Warwick

THE SEMI-TARGETS

(These universities represent the next 15-30% of most intakes)

Durham University
University of Nottingham
University of Bristol
University of Bath
Cass Business School

(Arguably, there’s a slight gap at this point based on grad/summer class data)

University of Edinburgh
University of Manchester
University of St Andrews
King’s College London
University of Exeter

HONORABLE MENTIONS

Loughborough University (an emerging semi-target)
University of York (also somewhat of a semi-target)
University of Leeds (very strong alumni network in the city, but not quite semi-target status)
University of Southampton (similar to Leeds)

Apart from these, if grades don’t permit getting into a university listed above try a Russell Group or a good non-Russell Group university with lower entry requirements

Top targets:Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL and Imperial (UCL and Warwick are completely dominating the IB job market right now)

Semi-targets (banks visit, still a stream of talent into IB every year) Durham, Bristol, Notts, Edinburgh, St Andrews

(Gap)

KCL, Cass, Manchester, Birmingham, Bath
Posted from TSR Mobile

You used to have Edinburgh and St Andrews in the second tier with Cass and Bath in the third tier. Why have they switched?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ScotBank16
You used to have Edinburgh and St Andrews in the second tier with Cass and Bath in the third tier. Why have they switched?

Collected more info.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In regards to what subject to study at uni for some places it DOES matter whether or not you pick a finance related degree, for example: http://www.santanderukgraduates.com/graduates.php
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Terry Tibbs
In regards to what subject to study at uni for some places it DOES matter whether or not you pick a finance related degree, for example: http://www.santanderukgraduates.com/graduates.php

Eh, Santander is like 1 exception. And I'm sure they don't even do traditional IB/S&T/Research.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Eh, Santander is like 1 exception.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There were plenty more from other places but can't remember which ones exactly.

The important thing is, most if not all investment banks don't care. So it really is a non-issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And btw, I found exceptions to the requirements on linkedin in like 5 seconds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending