The Student Room Group

Balancing good IB unis with good Law unis?

I think I might like to go into IB. The thing is I might want to go into law instead though. I'd like to keep my options open for as long as possible. (I will be applying for Law undergraduate)

So, should I try to get into a target IB uni, even though it may not be so good for Law?

Example: Warwick vs Bristol

Warwick is a target uni, Bristol is a semi-target. Bristol is generally regarded as being better for Law than Warwick though. Which should I go for? Am I just going to have to decide before I even apply whether Law or IB is more important to me?
(edited 7 years ago)
either are fine, if you're good enough you'll land interviews at both. Warwick would be better ofc for ib, then the question is how convincing your story for 'why banking' is
Original post by Abstract_Prism
I think I might like to go into IB. The thing is I might want to go into law instead though. I'd like to keep my options open for as long as possible. (I will be applying for Law undergraduate)

So, should I try to get into a target IB uni, even though it may not be so good for Law?

Example: Warwick vs Bristol

Warwick is a target uni, Bristol is a semi-target. Bristol is generally regarded as being better for Law than Warwick though. Which should I go for? Am I just going to have to decide before I even apply whether Law or IB is more important to me?

There is overlap between respected law universities and target/semi target universities - don't really see the issue here

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
There is overlap between respected law universities and target/semi target universities - don't really see the issue here

Posted from TSR Mobile

My issue is that I don't know whether I should go for universities better for IB or Law, Warwick and Bristol being the example. Should I go for Warwick which is better for IB but worse for Law, or Bristol which is better for Law but worse for IB?

I know that there is a general overlap, but it doesn't match up completely. For example, Durham and KCL are exceptional for Law, in the next tier after Oxbridge, yet for IB they are only semi-targets.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
My issue is that I don't know whether I should go for universities better for IB or Law, Warwick and Bristol being the example. Should I go for Warwick which is better for IB but worse for Law, or Bristol which is better for Law but worse for IB?

I know that there is a general overlap, but it doesn't match up completely. For example, Durham and KCL are exceptional for Law, in the next tier after Oxbridge, yet for IB they are only semi-targets.

It's still not an issue. Both universities are good at both law and sending people into finance. The issue only arises when you have like QMUL which is supposedly decent at Law. But outside that, your life isn't going to be over just because you go to a semi-target. Think you're just over worrying, go to the uni you want to go to above all else it's not a decision you can just defer to others.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
It's still not an issue. Both universities are good at both law and sending people into finance. The issue only arises when you have like QMUL which is supposedly decent at Law. But outside that, your life isn't going to be over just because you go to a semi-target. Think you're just over worrying, go to the uni you want to go to above all else it's not a decision you can just defer to others.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks very much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending