The Student Room Group

Is anyone revising AS over summer?

Hi everyone,
I'm thinking of doing a bit of revision over the summer otherwise I get bored and then when I start back in September I won't panic about how much revision I have to do.

I'm just revising the most difficult parts of my courses then when I come to more intense revision closer to A2 exams, I will feel more confident.

Is anyone else doing this?

I'm just wondering whether anyone has any advice and also, any advice about the step up to year 13?

Thank you,
Alice

Scroll to see replies

wouldn't bother tbh. Just enjoy your summer as is not hard really as long as you work from september you will be fine. after that you have to worry about uni's and stuff next year so might as well just relax for a bit.
Reply 2
Original post by Alicemidgetgem
Hi everyone,
I'm thinking of doing a bit of revision over the summer otherwise I get bored and then when I start back in September I won't panic about how much revision I have to do.

I'm just revising the most difficult parts of my courses then when I come to more intense revision closer to A2 exams, I will feel more confident.

I'm just wondering whether anyone has any advice and also, any advice about the step up to year 13?

Thank you,
Alice

You should just relax whilst you have the chance and not stress yourself. I'd suggest for you to start working on your personal statement for university, which would make it much easier for you when you return back to sixth form.

I've found the step up to A2 more horrible than from GCSE to AS (mostly for Geogrpahy and Biology in which my teachers gave me mountains of papers to do every single week), and didn't put as much effort during the first term.
Stupid idea, enjoy your summer - you will never get this time back.
Original post by cliveb2016
wouldn't bother tbh. Just enjoy your summer as is not hard really as long as you work from september you will be fine. after that you have to worry about uni's and stuff next year so might as well just relax for a bit.

I agree with that. Enjoy these summers while you still can, because time flies! After a few years you won't have much of a choice if you decide to go to uni. Applications, interviews, preparation in general... Yeah :smile:

BUT if you really want to prepare better, find your specifications and look through them. I used my specifications as a revision plan and timetable (you could try it out if you want to, too), I made sure I understood what the spec wants from me in the first place. Read through the textbooks if you have them. AS requires work and time managing is veeeeery important.

Best of luck! There should always be balance, so don't overwork yourself :biggrin:
Reply 5
I'm doing it for A2, as for AS there's not too much you can do and you shoudl just enjoy your Summer.

But if your idea if fun is prepping then go ahead!
Unless your doing 5-6 A2s then leave it. No point, you can startin April and still get a few A*s Although that will be cutting it fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Self learning maths A2 and doing reading for history.

Might even do bio:h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
research unis and start writing your personal statement if you wish to be productive this summer, however revising AS content is quite unnecessary
Hi everyone,

Thank you,
Alice
If you feel you need to, do so. But if you treat it as a sacrifice then just ditch it and enjoy your summer. Personally I'm doing AS and A2 maths this summer so i can get myself ready to do further maths, just planning out a timetable has been pretty effective to help me organize everything. I try to get 8 hours of work done a day, reviewing the work i have done throughout the day, specifically listing the areas i have problems with. I usually finish earlier on Fridays, completing about 5 hours or 6 hours of work and take the rest of the day off. I work Saturday mornings finish at 12:00 pm and from then on till Sunday i rest and repeat it throughout the summer. I still get a lot of time to go out with friends watch a movie, play video games etc while getting the work i need done and a sufficient amount of sleep.
I don't think there is anything wrong with doing a bit revision. In fact, prepping before you start AS would give you a head start.
Scratch what I said. THIS! When you actually think about it, even 15 minutes a day will do you good. And in fact, after those 15 minutes inertia may kick in and you won't want to stop. Your whole post gave my lazyass a kick, thank you for that, I really needed it haha! :biggrin:
Hi everyone,

Thank you,
Alice

I just finished year 13. Neither I, nor any of my friends revised last summer or the summer before that. Honestly, I think you need a break if you want to avoid burning out later. If you have any set work for the holidays then do it, but other than that I strongly recommend that you just relax.

As for the step up between AS and A2, there is a bit of a jump. However, it's not nearly so bad as the step up from GCSEs to AS; if you coped with that, you will cope with this. All you need to do is consistently revise every night from the first day of school. That's not hard core note making or doing past papers. All I mean is reading over your notes. It's not arduous once you get into the habit and it will make all the difference to the depth of your understanding once exam season comes.

Oh, and do your homework on the night that it is set wherever possible or you will not keep up with the increase in work load.
Hi everyone,

Thank you,
Alice

Just relax and enjoy your summer, there is no need.
You're right, doing a little revision over the summer probably would have benefits. But, in my opinion those benefits would likely be so negligible as to have little impact on your final grade. There is a long history of people who have come out of school with A*A*A* who did not spend the summer between years 12 and 13 revising and very few who came out with CCC who could have raised their grades by a boundary by doing revision over their holiday.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hmm well ok. Good luck to you, but I honestly believe you can get those A*s without sacrificing any of your precious holiday. At the end if the day, I did not revise in the summer between A2 and AS. I am currently awaiting my A2 results and, while I do not believe I got A*s, I know that by the time it came to the exams I was so well revised that no amount of extra revision would have altered my performance. Not another day, not another 2 months. Hell, not another year.
(edited 7 years ago)
With the sort of attitude you have, you are probably going to achieve a lot in your life (probably already have lol). It's rare to see people who really care about this sort of stuff (especially self-help), but it can really have a huge impact on your life when you start taking it seriously. I know it's had a huge impact on mine over the past year.
I suppose if working makes you happy then I can't argue with you. But for me personally, working does not make me happy. I could have worked over the summer in order to get good grades, in order to go to a good uni, in order to get a good job and perhaps I would have achieved all that. But at the end of the day, when I looked back on it all, what would I have achieved? None of that, would have made me happy. Being happy in each moment, instead of constantly working towards some goal in the future is what makes me happy. And to that end, having a stress and work free holiday enables me to have a truly happy and fulfilling life.
Reply 18
Original post by Platopus
I suppose if working makes you happy then I can't argue with you. But for me personally, working does not make me happy. I could have worked over the summer in order to get good grades, in order to go to a good uni, in order to get a good job and perhaps I would have achieved all that. But at the end of the day, when I looked back on it all, what would I have achieved? None of that, would have made me happy. Being happy in each moment, instead of constantly working towards some goal in the future is what makes me happy. And to that end, having a stress and work free holiday enables me to have a truly happy and fulfilling life.

I agree, but i need to find what i like to do

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fish40
I agree, but i need to find what i like to do

Posted from TSR Mobile

As I said, if working truly makes you feel happy and fulfilled then do it. You are one of a fortunate minority.

Quick Reply

Latest