The Student Room Group

Positive motivation for weight loss

I've lost around 30 kg and for the majority of it, I was motivated by disgust.

I hated how I looked in the mirror and felt people judged me (due to anxiety) and just wanted to get to a smaller size. But now my self-esteem has improved and I no longer am that bothered by what other people think. This is good from a MH perspective but it means from a weight loss perspective, I've lost my main motivation.

I don't like what I see in the mirror, but I'm also strangely comfortable. Telling myself "eat less you fat ****" doesn't have quite the same effect or appeal.

Does anyone have any advice on finding a positive basis for further weightloss :smile:? I still have away to go but my loss has gone to a snail's pace :/

Scroll to see replies

Focus more on where you want to be, rather than where you are.

"If I lose weight, I'll be able to do X"
tell me how you lost so much weight :redface:
i can't do it :cry:
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Focus more on where you want to be, rather than where you are.

"If I lose weight, I'll be able to do X"

That's the thing.

I'm making gym progress, I feel confident to do classes, I get male attention and can shop in normal stores again. My weight no longer feels like a hindrance.

I have fitness goals and inevitably I will shed the pounds because my lifestyle is general more healthy, but I just find that without the hatred to fuel me, I don't have the motivation to focus on weight loss.

@fatima1998 Oh, mine was very slow. My advice is useless. I have lost about 6kg and then plateaued for 6 months for the past 2.5 yrs.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
That's the thing.

I'm making gym progress, I feel confident to do classes, I get male attention and can shop in normal stores again. My weight no longer feels like a hindrance.

I have fitness goals and inevitably I will shed the pounds because my lifestyle is general more healthy, but I just find that without the hatred to fuel me, I don't have the motivation to focus on weight loss.

@fatima1998 Oh, mine was very slow. My advice is useless. I have lost about 6kg and then plateaued for 6 months for the past 2.5 yrs.

and i can't even loose that much weight :cry:
That's the thing.

It's great that you're making progress, that should help give you motivation to keep going! You've made so much progress so far, you should be able to keep going.

The goals and the focus on your health should still motivate you. You still have things you can achieve, you can still improve your life. If those are things you care about, it should be motivation!

For some people, though, their health and fitness isn't a priority. That's fine. But if you don't care a lot about improving your health and fitness, because you're now at a level you're happy with, that's totally fine - that's some body positivity right there. But not all things in life are done through motivation: you have to be disciplined - you might not feel like doing something, but you should do it anyway.

Original post by fatima1998
tell me how you lost so much weight :redface:
i can't do it :cry:

Bruv, it's honestly so simple. Eat less, eat right, walk a lot (go play pokemon GO or smth idk), and exercise at least 3x a week. These are hard things to do, but it's honestly that simple. There's no magic formula.
and i can't even loose that much weight :cry:

First, determine whether you have to. Being underweight is just as unhealthy, if not worse, than being overweight.

Then if you still think you need to lose weight, increase your activity levels and reduce your caloric intake. It may be useful to keep a food diary for a week or two to see what you're eating. You may snack more than you realize. A complete change in lifestyle may be unrealistic (easy to go for too much change at once) so begin making small changes and avoid temptation.

For me, I knew that pastries and sweet cereals and the like were my "problem foods". Once I stopped eating those and instead switched to cooked breakfasts or healthier cereals like muslei, I found that I was already at a calorie deficit. Once that became habitual, I looked at making other changes. More recently I have reduced my carbs. I went for 0 carbs initially but that wasn't sustainable so now I'm having medium and low carb days depending on what I'm doing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
I love the quote, "Workout and eat healthy because you love your body, not because you hate it."
Try to focus on how losing weight has made you feel better, rather than how your body looks.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's great that you're making progress, that should help give you motivation to keep going! You've made so much progress so far, you should be able to keep going.

Not really no. I mean I do feel quite happy when I lose another belt size but I have no real desire to lose more weight. I am sure I'll be ecstatic when I reach my ideal size (I am far bigger than I'd want to be) but I simply lack the desire to get there.

The goals and the focus on your health should still motivate you. You still have things you can achieve, you can still improve your life. If those are things you care about, it should be motivation!

Perhaps you're right. I'll have to work towards fitness goals and the weight loss will just have to be a side effect. Just can't summon the aesthetic motivation.

For some people, though, their health and fitness isn't a priority. That's fine. But if you don't care a lot about improving your health and fitness, because you're now at a level you're happy with, that's totally fine - that's some body positivity right there.

Well I want to improve my 5k, lift my own weight and so on so I do have fitness goals and I prefer to not cram my body with the stuff I was previously.
Original post by goam
I love the quote, "Workout and eat healthy because you love your body, not because you hate it."
Try to focus on how losing weight has made you feel better, rather than how your body looks.

Ah, I'm hardly going to go and pig out out McDs again.

Losing weight has mostly been about the stares from others and how ugly I felt I looked when I looked at the mirror. When I began to notice differences I felt pleased that losing further weight would get me to a place where I felt happier about myself.
I'm now at the edge of that zone.

Eating healthily is a matter of discipline and it's what I prefer atm. It's more an issue of calories. I know I will get to my ideal weight in a couple years if I continue as I am but it would really be cool if I lose 20kg well before I start uni in 2017. I sometimes feel a little spark of motivation when I think about how it'll be better to be slim but I don't hold onto it because I don't feel bad now.
First, determine whether you have to. Being underweight is just as unhealthy, if not worse, than being overweight.

Then if you still think you need to lose weight, increase your activity levels and reduce your caloric intake. It may be useful to keep a food diary for a week or two to see what you're eating. You may snack more than you realize. A complete change in lifestyle may be unrealistic (easy to go for too much change at once) so begin making small changes and avoid temptation.

For me, I knew that pastries and sweet cereals and the like were my "problem foods". Once I stopped eating those and instead switched to cooked breakfasts or healthier cereals like muslei, I found that I was already at a calorie deficit. Once that became habitual, I looked at making other changes. More recently I have reduced my carbs. I went for 0 carbs initially but that wasn't sustainable so now I'm having medium and low carb days depending on what I'm doing.

but i dont eat sweets plus, i do exercise and eat less but it never works :cry:

Bruv, it's honestly so simple. Eat less, eat right, walk a lot (go play pokemon GO or smth idk), and exercise at least 3x a week. These are hard things to do, but it's honestly that simple. There's no magic formula.

Bruv, i had tried it but nothing works :colonhash:
I've lost around 30 kg and for the majority of it, I was motivated by disgust.

I hated how I looked in the mirror and felt people judged me (due to anxiety) and just wanted to get to a smaller size. But now my self-esteem has improved and I no longer am that bothered by what other people think. This is good from a MH perspective but it means from a weight loss perspective, I've lost my main motivation.

I don't like what I see in the mirror, but I'm also strangely comfortable. Telling myself "eat less you fat ****" doesn't have quite the same effect or appeal.

Does anyone have any advice on finding a positive basis for further weightloss :smile:? I still have away to go but my loss has gone to a snail's pace :/

For me when I start cutting from December 1st 2016 onwards, I have a set goal date I.e to look at my leanest for a fitness expo (body power UK May 2017) and just want to bring a better physique than this year summer. Obviously, everyone has different goals but if you set yourself a goal perhaps to either
to be x weight or look/feel physically/mentally better.

The thing you have to remember throughout your journey is this...
"slow progress is better than no progress". :moon:
As long as you don't quit/stop ... you'll get what you want. ^ :hugs:
(edited 7 years ago)

Bruv, i had tried it but nothing works :colonhash:

Believe me, you haven't. Losing weight relies on a long-term, permanent lifestyle change. Our bodies follow very simple physiology: we input food, we process it, and we output it. We can't control the middle step. We can control the other two. Input less food, output more, and you will lose weight. That is how weight loss works. This is how every obese person has ever lost weight. It's how every skinny person has ever gained weight. Kero has lost 30kg, I've gained 20kg. And then we've stayed at that weight. It's because we made permanent changes to our lifestyle. I gained even more than that, but I've lost a good stone again because I stopped going to the gym and stopped eating as much, but my lifestyle is still different from before. So I'm heavier.

You are at the weight you are right now because of how you eat currently, and how you exercise currently. You have to make a permanent change if you want to lose weight and keep it off.
Believe me, you haven't. Losing weight relies on a long-term, permanent lifestyle change. Our bodies follow very simple physiology: we input food, we process it, and we output it. We can't control the middle step. We can control the other two. Input less food, output more, and you will lose weight. That is how weight loss works. This is how every obese person has ever lost weight. It's how every skinny person has ever gained weight. Kero has lost 30kg, I've gained 20kg. And then we've stayed at that weight. It's because we made permanent changes to our lifestyle. I gained even more than that, but I've lost a good stone again because I stopped going to the gym and stopped eating as much, but my lifestyle is still different from before. So I'm heavier.

You are at the weight you are right now because of how you eat currently, and how you exercise currently. You have to make a permanent change if you want to lose weight and keep it off.

but the changes i have made are permanent

You're not fat! Eat healthier and exercise more if you want, but don't become a twig.
Original post by Eternalflames
You're not fat! Eat healthier and exercise more if you want, but don't become a twig.

but thats what i wanna become :yep:
Not really no. I mean I do feel quite happy when I lose another belt size but I have no real desire to lose more weight. I am sure I'll be ecstatic when I reach my ideal size (I am far bigger than I'd want to be) but I simply lack the desire to get there.

Are you still overweight or simply looking to shift the pounds for vanity reasons now? If you're not overweight you probably don't have many calories to eat every day. I personally find it really difficult to eat at a calorie defecit after a few months. If you don't need to lose weight for your health any more, why don't you bump your calories up to maintenance for a month or two and focus more on gaining strength then come back to dieting after a few months off, while still doing positive things for your body?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How long did it take kvothe?

Are you at target or how far from it?

How far to go?

How much and what sort of exercise are you doing?

Bruv, there's no other way to explain it. If you want to lose more weight, you eat less, and exercise more. There's no magic physiological mechanism that's forcing you to stay at your same weight. There's no magic secret that answers what you're looking for, it really is that simple.

As @Hype en Ecosse has said there is literally no other way to explain it or do it.

Calories in vs calories out. It's simple maths.

You may have made changes and I'm sure they're great, but evidently they've not been enough. If you're not at a calorie deficit (eat less than your TDEE) for a long period of time you simply won't reach your goals. It's that simple.

Quick Reply

Latest