The Student Room Group

Aldi Management Scheme or University

Hello,

I have an offer to study economics at Leeds in the September of this year. Although I'm not a fan of the academic environment, I accept that an academic degree is a lifelong achievement and it'll fair me will economically over the long term.

However, I have also been working at Aldi for little over two years, completing a Management Apprenticeship Programme that will see me become Assistant Store Manager by the age of 20.

I started the Apprenticeship at 16 as a Store Assistant, but I've just been told that I've passed and they'd like me to progress onto the Management Scheme and onto a full time contract.

Starting from August, I will be a Deputy Store Manager on nearly £10 an hour for 40 hours a week.

After two years, I will be a fully qualified Assistant Store Manager on a starting salary of £30,000 per year for 48 hours per week.

I've always seen myself working in finance and doing a degree, but given the opportunity Aldi has given me, should I progress through the company and work my way up?

Thanks for your help.
Reply 1
Original post by jake4198
Hello,

I have an offer to study economics at Leeds in the September of this year. Although I'm not a fan of the academic environment, I accept that an academic degree is a lifelong achievement and it'll fair me will economically over the long term.

However, I have also been working at Aldi for little over two years, completing a Management Apprenticeship Programme that will see me become Assistant Store Manager by the age of 20.

I started the Apprenticeship at 16 as a Store Assistant, but I've just been told that I've passed and they'd like me to progress onto the Management Scheme and onto a full time contract.

Starting from August, I will be a Deputy Store Manager on nearly £10 an hour for 40 hours a week.

After two years, I will be a fully qualified Assistant Store Manager on a starting salary of £30,000 per year for 48 hours per week.

I've always seen myself working in finance and doing a degree, but given the opportunity Aldi has given me, should I progress through the company and work my way up?

Thanks for your help.

Take the job!
(Assuming you are enjoying it...)

You can always do the degree later, or maybe Aldi would let you do it part-time in due course?

Does the programme you are on give you opportunities to move beyond Assistant Store Manager? The Area Managers seem to be grads...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Take the job!
(Assuming you are enjoying it...)

You can always do the degree later, or maybe Aldi would let you do it part-time in due course?

Does the programme you are on give you opportunities to move beyond Assistant Store Manager? The Area Managers seem to be grads...?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is obviously the opportunity for me to become Store Manager, but I'm only guaranteed a job as Assistant Store Manager. To be quite honest, I am a confident person, but I can't imagine all of a sudden being in charge of a group of people who have helped me so much through the apprenticeship, many of whom are are in their late 30s.

The only way for me to be Area Manager is to do a degree.
Reply 3
There is obviously the opportunity for me to become Store Manager, but I'm only guaranteed a job as Assistant Store Manager. To be quite honest, I am a confident person, but I can't imagine all of a sudden being in charge of a group of people who have helped me so much through the apprenticeship, many of whom are are in their late 30s.

So I'd say get to Asst Store Manager and then review your next steps. There's no need to do a degree right now.

Would they put you through a degree? Some employers will do that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It sounds like you want to do a degree at some point, so why not do the Assistant Store Manager training, and study part time with the Open University? They have a couple of economics-related courses, so you could study towards a degree whilst working. Naturally, a degree takes longer part-time, but the module workload is variable. You could also do a certificate rather than a degree over a couple of years whilst working, and then see if you could decrease your hours to part-time and apply to a brick Uni, if that's what you want to do.
You've got to ask yourself where this will take you in 10-20 years, not just the next 2-5. An economics degree from a Russell Group will fare you a million times better over the long term than an assistant manager role. If you're really still keen on working for Aldi, graduate then apply for their graduate scheme.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2014/02/11/the-rising-cost-of-not-going-to-college/
http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/2012/02/08/The-Shocking-Cost-of-Not-Having-a-College-Degree
Don't take the job. Jesus, in two years you could earn £30K with them just now, or wait one more year and go back to them on their graduate scheme on £40K + an Audi if you really wanted to. It makes no sense to tie yourself to a company and be underpaid for it too.
Wouldn't bother, you want to go into finance. The more you delay it, the more difficult it becomes to get a foothold in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending