The Student Room Group

Travel insurance

Is it a good idea to take out travel insurance when going abroad? I plan on going away soon but not sure if I should. Mostly would like to do so for health reasons*
I would do, yes. If you're going to Europe, your EHIC won't cover everything.
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
I would do, yes. If you're going to Europe, your EHIC won't cover everything.

well I'm going to be flying to nice and then travel to Monaco from there,which isn't part of the EU,so I really think I should just to avoid incurring large medical bills*
Original post by queen-bee
well I'm going to be flying to nice and then travel to Monaco from there,which isn't part of the EU,so I really think I should just to avoid incurring large medical bills*

Monaco is a microstate - about a mile wide and 2 miles long. I'm not sure it has a national health service. If you were to get ill the normal thing to do would be cross back over into France for treatment.

Having said that, that's no reason not to insure yourself as travel insurance isn't just about access to healthcare. Protection against theft and travel delays are also two big benefits of insurance.
Reply 4
Original post by rockrunride
Monaco is a microstate - about a mile wide and 2 miles long. I'm not sure it has a national health service. If you were to get ill the normal thing to do would be cross back over into France for treatment.

Having said that, that's no reason not to insure yourself as travel insurance isn't just about access to healthcare. Protection against theft and travel delays are also two big benefits of insurance.

thanks for the advice! Always better safe than sorry*
Reply 5
It's a no brainer. For less than £10 you can convert yourself against all kinds of nonsense. Small price to pay for peace of mind.

Should be mandatory, really.
Reply 6
Original post by Drewski
It's a no brainer. For less than £10 you can convert yourself against all kinds of nonsense. Small price to pay for peace of mind.

Should be mandatory, really.

with the bad luck I have,I'll definitely need it*
Its irresponsible not to take it out. Imagine if something happens, they might treat you, but who will pay for you to get home?
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
Its irresponsible not to take it out. Imagine if something happens, they might treat you, but who will pay for you to get home?

my worst nightmare*
Definitely take it out and declare all preexisting conditions too. It's so cheap it's worthwhile.. I had to claim once and if I didn't have it, it'd cost me $4000 so yeah...
my worst nightmare*

You want to avoid something like this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-35293195

ShawtyB asked about travel insurance and I put up a few good links for a company id enever heard of before but seemd to offer very cheap insurance. I would be sceptical but it was being suggested by moneysaving expert.

If you will go traveling again in the next 12 months then you should consider a multi trip policy as it can pay for itself quickly in savings compared to buying single trip policies.

Post office, columbus, world nomad, direct line, STA travel, just shop around.
Reply 11
You want to avoid something like this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-35293195

ShawtyB asked about travel insurance and I put up a few good links for a company id enever heard of before but seemd to offer very cheap insurance. I would be sceptical but it was being suggested by moneysaving expert.

If you will go traveling again in the next 12 months then you should consider a multi trip policy as it can pay for itself quickly in savings compared to buying single trip policies.

Post office, columbus, world nomad, direct line, STA travel, just shop around.

I most likely will take out a multi trip policy as it would work better for me if I'm constantly on the go,which I usually am anyway.*

Thank you for the advice *
I most likely will take out a multi trip policy as it would work better for me if I'm constantly on the go,which I usually am anyway.*

Thank you for the advice *

Dont forget to shop around. Make sure people have heard of the one you choose if you havent.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/cheap-travel-insurance

soemtimes bank accounts cna give access to free or cheap insurance.
There is a multi trip policy on the link recommended.

Also dont forget if you are sporty, then winter or dangerous psorts might be a thing, so make sure it covers what you need.
Reply 13
Dont forget to shop around. Make sure people have heard of the one you choose if you havent.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/cheap-travel-insurance

soemtimes bank accounts cna give access to free or cheap insurance.
There is a multi trip policy on the link recommended.

Also dont forget if you are sporty, then winter or dangerous psorts might be a thing, so make sure it covers what you need.

I'll check them all out :smile:

Are there any thing sin particular I should be looking out for?
I'll check them all out :smile:

Are there any thing sin particular I should be looking out for?

Just read the link from money saving expert. I linked it.

Things you want are repatriation- thats to pay for a plane to fly you back.

Check the highest value item cover is enough for you and the amound of excess as well = amount you pay before they pay anything i.e first £100.

I pointed out dnagerous sports if you wnat those covered. Students tend to do those.

Check whether it covers the USA and if you wnat it to. Obviously the medical bills are very high there.
Reply 15
Just read the link from money saving expert. I linked it.

Things you want are repatriation- thats to pay for a plane to fly you back.

Check the highest value item cover is enough for you and the amound of excess as well = amount you pay before they pay anything i.e first £100.

I pointed out dnagerous sports if you wnat those covered. Students tend to do those.

Check whether it covers the USA and if you wnat it to. Obviously the medical bills are very high there.

thank you. I want it to cover the US too because eventually I'll be returning there

Quick Reply

Latest