The Student Room Group

Best uni for pop songwriting courses?

I want to do a songwriting course at uni that focuses on pop music but I don't mind if that's not it's focal point. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of good uni's to study this type of course at?

When I say a good uni I mean that the course is worthwhile (you actually learn and enjoy it), it's a nice place to be and they have good connnections to get you employed quickly.
Original post by flash_frost
I want to do a songwriting course at uni that focuses on pop music but I don't mind if that's not it's focal point. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of good uni's to study this type of course at?

When I say a good uni I mean that the course is worthwhile (you actually learn and enjoy it), it's a nice place to be and they have good connnections to get you employed quickly.

Hi there,

The best thing to do is to look at the Unistats rankings for both the course and the universities you are considering. I would suggest making a list of pros and cons of each course, visit the universities, use social media to look at feedback and talk to current students and don't be afraid to contact the universities directly with specific questions.

Looking at the course pages on the university websites in more detail is also really helpful and looking at the modules in more detail can help with your decision. For instance at the University of Gloucestershire we have a Popular Music course which has a songwriting module.

This comparison allows you to compare the pros and cons of each course and narrow down your search.

Many universities also offer campus visits for those who haven't been to an open day, or who want another look at a university.

Hope this helps and good luck with your search!

Maria at the University of Gloucestershire
Reply 2
Original post by University of Gloucestershire
Hi there,

The best thing to do is to look at the Unistats rankings for both the course and the universities you are considering. I would suggest making a list of pros and cons of each course, visit the universities, use social media to look at feedback and talk to current students and don't be afraid to contact the universities directly with specific questions.

Looking at the course pages on the university websites in more detail is also really helpful and looking at the modules in more detail can help with your decision. For instance at the University of Gloucestershire we have a Popular Music course which has a songwriting module.

This comparison allows you to compare the pros and cons of each course and narrow down your search.

Many universities also offer campus visits for those who haven't been to an open day, or who want another look at a university.

Hope this helps and good luck with your search!

Maria at the University of Gloucestershire

Thank you very much for your advice. I've kind of been doing this already and really I wanted to hear from people who are on or have done a songwriting course. Thanks anyway.
Original post by flash_frost
Thank you very much for your advice. I've kind of been doing this already and really I wanted to hear from people who are on or have done a songwriting course. Thanks anyway.

No problem, I hope you hear back from people soon. Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with and good luck with your search!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending