The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kelvin1338
What subjects were the originally B's in?

English Literature and History. I remember her saying it went up to nearly full marks but her coursework brought her down- annoying how one harsh examiner can ruin everything :tongue:.
(edited 7 years ago)
More of a class Horror story..
At As i studied psychology, however our teacher left us to go and have an operation so we had an awful substitute for about 6 months, we barely finished the course and was rushed, during the exam, after the exam and waiting for my result i was sure id failed. So prepared myself to resit/drop it. Alot of people in the class said the exam was better than they thought it would be.

I got my results really early on the day after a lot of begging, i was so happy to see id just scraped an A. So i text my friends who were on there way..i was the only person to pass the subject at a small sixform where id previously gone to school with everyone and some were my closest friends. I didnt have anyone to celebrate with properly and felt awful. (Cant imagine how they felt)

This story carries on to this year. My class of 3 people started well untill the same teacher left after a "mental breakdown" so once again no teacher. The exams went so badly so now im expecting a C which means i wont get into my firm after ive already made friends there.

Another would be my History grade, im doing my degree in History and ive never got a B before in it so seeing that i had a B at As upset me, not because it a bad grade, because i wasnt expecting it and i know i could have got higher. Must have looked strange to universities that my lowest grade was what i wanted to study. So i resat that this year. Heres hoping i get into my firm😑.

Good luck everyone!!!
Original post by smegsxo
I'll already have all those by then, plus my mum and boyfriend want to look for me before and whilst I get my results so they'll be prepared for that. I prefer opening them at school and it's the last paper results so it's just how I want to do it I guess :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess it is up to you but personally I would rather go to school knowing what to expect as if it is bad then i will be in a right state so i want the time to compose myself
Reply 103
Original post by HyruleTenshi
Chemistry OCR F324 2015. If you understand this then you'll know how I felt.

Did this paper as a mock and, while it was hard, it was straightforward. Much preferred it over this year's F324
Original post by TG360
Did this paper as a mock and, while it was hard, it was straightforward. Much preferred it over this year's F324

I don't want to know what this year's one was like then haha
Thought I got 100 in FP3 but got 95. Cried for hours fam
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42

sounds horrific lol...

your profile pic is what I'm gonna look like if i don't meet my offers
Original post by fefssdf
sounds horrific lol...

Was meant to be somewhat satirical (I did not cry..)
I don't really have any genuine horror stories. I remember when one of the star girls in our school got a B in an English Lit exam in GCSE and was utterly inconsolable. Got 9A*s in the end though lol
Was meant to be somewhat satirical (I did not cry..)
I don't really have any genuine horror stories. I remember when one of the star girls in our school got a B in an English Lit exam in GCSE and was utterly inconsolable. Got 9A*s in the end though lol

I cried last year on results day when I got AAAB at AS; I feel so stupid now but at the time I was just like oh my god my life is actually over cause I didn't get 4A's even though I got the joint highest in the year, so I can relate to that girl in your year; I also got a B in english lit but didn't really care cause I did no revision
Original post by fefssdf
I cried last year on results day when I got AAAB at AS; I feel so stupid now but at the time I was just like oh my god my life is actually over cause I didn't get 4A's even though I got the joint highest in the year, so I can relate to that girl in your year; I also got a B in english lit but didn't really care cause I did no revision

Nothing wrong with that; we all have certain expectations. I just get slightly annoyed if a result is unexpectedly low, and blame my past self's handwriting or the examiner. :colondollar: Uni this year went very well overall and I certainly achieved far better than expected in certain exams, but a 60 in a module I thought I aced still leaves me nonplussed..
Nothing wrong with that; we all have certain expectations. I just get slightly annoyed if a result is unexpectedly low, and blame my past self's handwriting or the examiner. :colondollar: Uni this year went very well overall and I certainly achieved far better than expected in certain exams, but a 60 in a module I thought I aced still leaves me nonplussed..

yh I know I had convinced myself I would get an A even though deep down I was expecting a B so when I saw the B on the paper I was just in total shock, and yh the examiner probably just couldn't read my handwriting ..... its so annoying when you think you've done better than you thought ; I always find that my predictions for exam grades don't match up with reality so I'm gonna go in with a more open mind this time so I'm not freaking out when I get different grades
Original post by fefssdf
yh I know I had convinced myself I would get an A even though deep down I was expecting a B so when I saw the B on the paper I was just in total shock, and yh the examiner probably just couldn't read my handwriting ..... its so annoying when you think you've done better than you thought ; I always find that my predictions for exam grades don't match up with reality so I'm gonna go in with a more open mind this time so I'm not freaking out when I get different grades

Indeed the best thing is to not get too fixated on a fantasy situation and to avoid convincing yourself that a certain set of grades will be there. Then again I am one to talk as I spent a disgusting amount of time adding up potential marks and trying to work out what I would get as a percentage this year lol. With AAAB at AS odds are you will have done fine this year tho..
Indeed the best thing is to not get too fixated on a fantasy situation and to avoid convincing yourself that a certain set of grades will be there. Then again I am one to talk as I spent a disgusting amount of time adding up potential marks and trying to work out what I would get as a percentage this year lol. With AAAB at AS odds are you will have done fine this year tho..

this year I need AAA so I fear the same thing will happen again and I will get AAB but luckily cause of ucas i won't be seen crying at school and there is the possibility my firm/insurance will let in anyways as they both want AAA but i imagine one will be more lenient but yh I do need to be a tad more realistic but i have added up the marks and I know I've got a good chance of getting it but mostly depends on how nice my examiner is for english...
Original post by fefssdf
this year I need AAA so I fear the same thing will happen again and I will get AAB but luckily cause of ucas i won't be seen crying at school and there is the possibility my firm/insurance will let in anyways as they both want AAA but i imagine one will be more lenient but yh I do need to be a tad more realistic but i have added up the marks and I know I've got a good chance of getting it but mostly depends on how nice my examiner is for english...

Many unis are fairly lenient up to a grade or so, you should be fine. If you think you have a good chance you probably do, under-prediction does seem more common in general than over-prediction. You did Maths and English also? I thought I was alone. :tongue: Their niceness is proportional to the amount of intelligent-sounding bull****, I believe.. :colonhash:
Many unis are fairly lenient up to a grade or so, you should be fine. If you think you have a good chance you probably do, under-prediction does seem more common in general than over-prediction. You did Maths and English also? I thought I was alone. :tongue: Their niceness is proportional to the amount of intelligent-sounding bull****, I believe.. :colonhash:

I did indeed do english language and maths and yh glad I'm not the only one; i got a few funny looks at applicant days when i told people i did psychology and english when most people were doing physics lool... and yh i used ' thus' and 'synonymous ' which sounds posh I hope and i think i wrote quite a good amount of convincing ******** this time around but depends whether they believe it or not...and yh hopefully AAB will be enough but Nottingham seemed to be pretty strict and considering i only have an AS in further maths I'm not gonna look that good of a candidate compared to others with maths and physics alevel :/
Original post by fefssdf
I did indeed do english language and maths and yh glad I'm not the only one; i got a few funny looks at applicant days when i told people i did psychology and english when most people were doing physics lool... and yh i used ' thus' and 'synonymous ' which sounds posh I hope and i think i wrote quite a good amount of convincing ******** this time around but depends whether they believe it or not...and yh hopefully AAB will be enough but Nottingham seemed to be pretty strict and considering i only have an AS in further maths I'm not gonna look that good of a candidate compared to others with maths and physics alevel :/

Oh I meant Lit but not too different I guess. :colondollar: Well you may well get AAA or better anyhow so no use worrying if they'll accept AAB at the mo...if worst comes to worst there's always gap years, missing a grade is never a tragedy I suppose
Oh I meant Lit but not too different I guess. :colondollar: Well you may well get AAA or better anyhow so no use worrying if they'll accept AAB at the mo...if worst comes to worst there's always gap years, missing a grade is never a tragedy I suppose

yh its alright I don't mind doing a gap year; I have a part time job and i could get more hours and i could just do things like learn to drive ect, even help out at my old school to pass the time and retake c3 to get a damn A* cause i flopped that exam aahah
Here's mine I did a BTEC so I knew my results as soon as i got them and I was pretty sure I'd got a U on the AVCE they made me do but I digress anyway I was sitting there in my classroom finishing off a lab to get a higher mark (I'd passed already I wanted a merit) I finished said and got the merit and told I didn't deserve it (thanks teacher) i looked at my results and released if I did one more section of an assignment I could go up a boundary so I happly toddled off to my computer room to do this write up i had 6 hours left at the collage only to find that my PC account being deleted I asked him to stop (he looked at me and laughed as he pressed delete) and away went my chance of the higher grade he really should have waited and did it the next day but iIstill got in to uni so no harm done.
Original post by doctorwhofan98
I think you're being too optimistic - technology has evolved to the extent that cars can drive themselves, but my sixth form (and many others that I'm aware of) have no methods of sending us our results other than in person, unless you've asked beforehand for an email under special circumstances (and even then they'll likely email late in the day). :frown:

I think technology has somehow gotten worse since you were at sixth form as UCAS doesn't update until around 8am now, rather than 6!

It technically didn't open until 8am back then, but you could access it from 6.