The Student Room Group

is Adjustment actually a good idea?

My firm choice is for German and Russian but I'm quite interested in German and Scandinavian studies at Edinburgh.

I didn't apply because I thought it would be too difficult to write a personal statement for 3 subjects (2 was bad enough) and Edinburgh was one of the only 2 unis to offer this course. The entry requirements are also quite ambiguous - ABB to AAB- and that also put me off applying.

Overall, is Adjustment a good idea, for example will it be really difficult to find accommodation and what were people's experiences with Adjustment?

Cheers :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by rleah1998
My firm choice is for German and Russian but I'm quite interested in German and Scandinavian studies at Edinburgh.

I didn't apply because I thought it would be too difficult to write a personal statement for 3 subjects (2 was bad enough) and Edinburgh was one of the only 2 unis to offer this course. The entry requirements are also quite ambiguous - ABB to AAB- and that also put me off applying.

Overall, is Adjustment a good idea, for example will it be really difficult to find accommodation and what were people's experiences with Adjustment?

First thing, you can only use Adjustment if you exceed your Firm Offer. Is that likely?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by jneill
First thing, you can only use Adjustment if you exceed your Firm Offer. Is that likely?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got a contextual offer of BBB and was predicted AAB so I'm hopeful
Reply 3
I got a contextual offer of BBB and was predicted AAB so I'm hopeful

Ok. That's good.

Have you read this
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15539-Changing-university-via-adjustment-what-you-need-to-know

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think Edinburgh does a lot of Adjustment. I'd call and ask them ahead of time if they are likely to be entering anything into it, so you have some idea where you stand on results day.
Do not confuse Adjustment and Clearing.

Adjustment is when you get above the grades for your current Firm choice. The course you want may have no spaces available whatever your grades.

Clearing is for those with no place to go to in August - either because they didnt receive an offer, declined all offers they did receive or failed to get the grades needed for either their C or I choice. The course you want may already be full and wont be put into Clearing

Neither are a way to sort out 'I didnt apply for the right course to begin with'. If you are determined that the Scan Studies is the right course for you, then drop out of UCAS (now or in August) and reapply next year for the course you really do want to do. You have nothing to lose from doing this - it gives you time to think and be clear about what you really want to do, and why.

Even if the course you do want is in Clearing, if you try to switch courses/Unis in Clearing then you have the drama of trying to get your Firm to release you (this can take days to happen because you are no longer their priority) by which time your prefered course has 'gone' Add in last minute issues like accommodation (often not available to Clearing apps) and the fact that you havnt seen this Uni and all the emotion/panic of suddenly going 'somewhere else', and you can see why there is a very high eventual drop out rate from Clearing applicants.

PS. Grade 'ranges' like the one you quote are usually the 'standard' offer and the 'contextual' offer (made to those from low performing schools etc). If in any doubt about what it means, email the Uni and ask - do not assume or guess.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by returnmigrant
Do not confuse Adjustment and Clearing.

Adjustment is when you get above the grades for your current Firm choice. The course you want may have no spaces available whatever your grades.

Clearing is for those with no place to go to in August - either because they didnt receive an offer, declined all offers they did receive or failed to get the grades needed for either their C or I choice. The course you want may already be full and wont be put into Clearing

Neither are a way to sort out 'I didnt apply for the right course to begin with'. If you are determined that the Scan Studies is the right course for you, then drop out of UCAS (now or in August) and reapply next year for the course you really do want to do. You have nothing to lose from doing this - it gives you time to think and be clear about what you really want to do, and why.

Even if the course you do want is in Clearing, if you try to switch courses/Unis in Clearing then you have the drama of trying to get your Firm to release you (this can take days to happen because you are no longer their priority) by which time your prefered course has 'gone' Add in last minute issues like accommodation (often not available to Clearing apps) and the fact that you havnt seen this Uni and all the emotion/panic of suddenly going 'somewhere else', and you can see why there is a very high eventual drop out rate from Clearing applicants.

PS. Grade 'ranges' like the one you quote are usually the 'standard' offer and the 'contextual' offer (made to those from low performing schools etc). If in any doubt about what it means, email the Uni and ask - do not assume or guess.

If they're going to reapply next year then they might as well see if they can go through clearing / adjustment!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes- if you can upgrade why not. Unless you are happy with your choice of course. Plus you aren't actually under any obligation to take a new place and your firm is safeguarded
Reply 8
Original post by mizzsnazzter
If they're going to reapply next year then they might as well see if they can go through clearing / adjustment!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I don't particularly want to take a year out because I want to live in Germany and what with the referendum result I think I need to get to it as soon as possible
Original post by neal95
Yes- if you can upgrade why not. Unless you are happy with your choice of course. Plus you aren't actually under any obligation to take a new place and your firm is safeguarded

You'll be at a disadvantage when it comes to finding accommodation though :frown:
Reply 10
Original post by greenmang0
You'll be at a disadvantage when it comes to finding accommodation though :frown:

Hopefully that wouldn't be too much of an issue because I need the cheapest option and don't mind sharing a room so I would assume they might still be able to offer me accommodation but I'm not sure. Overall, I'm not that bothered about accommodation but wouldn't like to stay in private accommodation in my first year
Hopefully that wouldn't be too much of an issue because I need the cheapest option and don't mind sharing a room so I would assume they might still be able to offer me accommodation but I'm not sure. Overall, I'm not that bothered about accommodation but wouldn't like to stay in private accommodation in my first year

Ah fair enough. I'd rather die than share a room :redface:
Reply 12

Yeah I'm trying to convince myself that it wouldn't be that bad😂

Yeah I'm trying to convince myself that it wouldn't be that bad😂

I doubt you will have to share a room. That's more a United States thing. The worst you will have to do in England is share a bathroom and it's not that hard to find accommodation for yourself if that's what you wanted
Reply 14
Original post by neal95
I doubt you will have to share a room. That's more a United States thing. The worst you will have to do in England is share a bathroom and it's not that hard to find accommodation for yourself if that's what you wanted
I just remember in the Edinburgh accommodation guarantee that they could only guarantee a shared room for insurance/clearing/adjustment students
I just remember in the Edinburgh accommodation guarantee that they could only guarantee a shared room for insurance/clearing/adjustment students

Yeah it's in their interest to say that as they want you to firm them or insure them. You won't struggle
Edinburgh (and other Scottish universities) tend to avoid Adjustment.

Adjustment opens on 18 August (and runs for 5 calendar days after that)

Edinburgh Welcome Week is on 10-18 September (http://www.ed.ac.uk/semester-dates/201617 )

Most Scottish universities start term earlier than England/Wales/NI universities and so they're generally reluctant to offer places via adjustment or clearing to A level students. There just isn't enough time to get everything sorted out before enrolment starts.

You might be lucky but if this is something you're considering then don't wait until Results day to approach Edinburgh - get on the phone to them today and ask if they're likely to have any places available for someone in your situation (explain about not applying initially because of the worry around spreading your PS too thinly). They're more likely to take things seriously (and have the time to bypass their usual procedures if they decide to take you) if this doesn't look like a decision you're making in a hurry on a whim because you did better than expected.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending