The Student Room Group

Islamophobia is the problem

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QE2
No it doesn't. This is another one of those often-repeated myths, like "the Quran forbids killing".

Go and read it instead of lying. Both things are said, even explicitly.
Morons like you are the problem because Islamists know they can count on naive self loathing westerners to make them the victims and the victims the perps, you're an enabler, you're complicit.
We've had your nothing to do with Islam approach for 15 years since 9/11, the only thing it's done is bury our head in the sands while the problem gets worse. It's time to try our way.
Reply 62
Original post by ZolaCFC25
Go and read it instead of lying. Both things are said, even explicitly.
OK. Quote the verses that explicitly say...
1. Muslims must obey the law of the land in Dar al Kufr.
2. All killing is forbidden

Spoiler

No, the revolting, sickening death cult that is Islam is what's the problem. "Islamophobia" is a made up word which is null and void.
Reply 64
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
No, the revolting, sickening death cult that is Islam is what's the problem. "Islamophobia" is a made up word which is null and void.

Islamophobia means the irrational fear of Islam, there is nothing irrational about being fearful and not wanting a hateful ideology to have an increasing influence in the society you live in.
Original post by hoping4thebest
It's Islamophobia which is isolating Muslim people and alienating them. The majority of them are as peaceful or even more peaceful than us and their religion encourages peace. It's Islamophobia which is leading some Muslims to become radicalised as they don't feel that they belong here in the West.

So stop Islamophobia, the cause of terrorism..

Except Islamophobia was just made up a couple of decades ago as an attack on anyone who dislikes Islam. If you want Muslims to fit in in this country then stop telling everyone the only way to do that is by having thought crime and other authoritarian extremes.

The lack of basic logic here is astounding. You might as well say that the fact we're not all Muslims is the problem.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Onde
The thing is, the qur'an actually has Allah and Muhammad boasting about inflicting terror on others.

A phobia is an irrational fear: a fear of terrorism is not irrational (although the extent of the fear may be).

The West is the most peaceful region of the world in the most peaceful time in history. So you are correct to say that ideologies that promote terrorism and admire those who committed acts of terror such as Muhammad (by his own boast) don't belong in the West or indeed the 21st century.

I consider a fear of terrorism potentially irrational because chances are, it wont happen to you.

However dislike of Islam or concern over it's impact on our national values, legal system and so on is legitimate.

Lots of people dislike Nazi's and are paranoid that there is one around every corner and that we're always one step away from the holocaust 2.0. No one is accusing them of naziphobia.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown

Disgusting bigotry, do you honestly think these murderers went out and killed dozens of people because they want to protect Islam? Of course not, these low-lifes couldn't care less about the religion - they are just hateful, broken individuals who want to hurt as many people as possible, and proclaiming your motive to be for the "Islamic State" is far more impactful than being dismissed as a lone madman.
Original post by swiss_cheese
Disgusting bigotry, do you honestly think these murderers went out and killed dozens of people because they want to protect Islam? Of course not, these low-lifes couldn't care less about the religion - they are just hateful, broken individuals who want to hurt as many people as possible, and proclaiming your motive to be for the "Islamic State" is far more impactful than being dismissed as a lone madman.

You seem to suffer from bigophobia.
I think the main problem is that Muslim majority countries have not been able to erase the effects of colonization era, and are not developed. Branding Islam as a death cult religion is of course wrong, but extremist terrorism is directly related to the fact that muslim countries are not developed. You should look at the ratios of other crimes such as rape, thievery and corruption too. You will see that they have a higher percentage Muslim majority countries. I believe it is because of these two facts :

1. As those countries are not developed as much as European countries, they are not offering a decent education. Being a Turkish myself, (and Turkey is supposed to be one of the most developed of middle east) I witnessed an average of 3 points scored in our National Natural Sciences exam which consisted of 40 points. This is a huge failure. This is only the scientific education part. What of education of ethics, manners and other stuff? You can only observe its results. Uneducated, ignorant and hateful people.

2. Second reason is the fact that criminals are getting away from justice unlike well developed countries and that there is not an awareness of crimes in muslim countries as it is in well-developed ones. For example in rape cases, the rapists get away and even sometimes get themselves married to the victims. Many thieves are thieves because they are getting away with it. A serial killer in Turkey has been in hiding for two years. We just caught him. And what of corruption cases? Are these crimes Islamic? No, but they are done by muslims. It is an important fact.

So why there are Islamic terrorists but no christian or jew terrorists like ISIS and Al-Qaeda? Because people of christian and jew geography get decent education and have an awareness on crimes. I can never view a christian or jew as a threat, and I can only respect them, but I know that if they were given the same circumstances as current muslim countries, at least one in a million of them would be a part of extremist groups, committing such atrocities. My point is, religions are not the reason, it is in the very nature of humans. This difference exists because of a difference in conditions for people of different religions.

I can not believe how you can be like "I know quran better than billions of muslims and I did not even get a proper Islamic education, it is a death cult religion!". This was not the way I imagined you people. Whatever.

Long story short, Islamophobia is bad, but it can not be the reason why extremism exists in muslims, many other factors caused it, mainly focused on the fact that muslim countries are not well-developed.
It is not. It is about culture and how people act, rather than a the religion. People choose how to act out their lives. Compare the Qu'ran and the Old Testament. They are strikingly similar. You can't attack Islam as a religion without attacking Christianity. It is not the root cause and attacking everyone who calls themselves a Muslim is counter-productive and will make matters far worse. It is human nature. Terrorism is political.

You can't seriously be comparing the Quran to the Old Testament? Billions of Christians have rejected the Old Testament simply because its incompatible with modern times. The best known teaching from Christianity is "Love thy neighbour as you love yourself" regardless of anything. Muslims (including very well known ulamas/imams) worldwide regard Muslim sects such as Ahmadiyyas as infidels who are an insult to Islam, and so persecuting them and banning them from going on hajj because they commit "shirk".

Christianity, in comparison to Islam is much more peaceful because it doesn't discriminate. Islam, however, does (which is sometimes shown by terror attacks)
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
You can't seriously be comparing the Quran to the Old Testament? Billions of Christians have rejected the Old Testament simply because its incompatible with modern times. The best known teaching from Christianity is "Love thy neighbour as you love yourself" regardless of anything. Muslims (including very well known ulamas/imams) worldwide regard Muslim sects such as Ahmadiyyas as infidels who are an insult to Islam, and so persecuting them and banning them from going on hajj because they commit "shirk".

Christianity, in comparison to Islam is much more peaceful because it doesn't discriminate. Islam, however, does (which is sometimes shown by terror attacks)

This is nonsensical. Don't quite understand the point out of this response. I said people choose how to act out their lives. You just said Christians reject the Old Testament, which proving my point. The New Testament just means that new things were made up to justify the existence of the religion.

People have the right to believe in whatever the hell they want to unless it infringes upon others. Terrorism and extremism in general has more to do with identity and politics. If you win people over, it doesn't happen... hence why Islamaphobia should be addressed if we are serious about preventing home-grown terrorism.

Oh, and Christian terrorists have existed too. Christians over the world do not identify as strongly with religion anymore, but that doesn't mean that they haven't done bad things. There are good and bad people and circumstances are vital. Angry, less-priveleged people are more likely to do dangerous things. There have been many peaceful Muslim countries, but many have serious political issues that stem from many different sources, such as conservatism and related attachments which exist in every society and manifests itself in different ways.
This is nonsensical. Don't quite understand the point out of this response. I said people choose how to act out their lives. You just said Christians reject the Old Testament, which proving my point. The New Testament just means that new things were made up to justify the existence of the religion.

People have the right to believe in whatever the hell they want to unless it infringes upon others. Terrorism and extremism in general has more to do with identity and politics. If you win people over, it doesn't happen... hence why Islamaphobia should be addressed if we are serious about preventing home-grown terrorism.

Oh, and Christian terrorists have existed too. Christians over the world do not identify as strongly with religion anymore, but that doesn't mean that they haven't done bad things. There are good and bad people and circumstances are vital. Angry, less-priveleged people are more likely to do dangerous things. There have been many peaceful Muslim countries, but many have serious political issues that stem from many different sources, such as conservatism and related attachments which exist in every society and manifests itself in different ways.

The New Testament is nowhere near as bad as the Quran.

Rightt so the terrorists from Charlie Hebdo said "Allahu Akbar" just for the bants? Religion has everything to do with. And in case you haven't realised, if extremism wasn't to do with religion, there wouldn't be so many extreme imams who can move freely. For example, before the Orlando shootings, the vile scumbag shooter attended a conference where an imam was preaching for the murder of gay people.

No Islamophobia isn't the big problem. Why should non Muslims have to tiptoe around Muslims and be afraid to criticise the religion? It shouldn't be. We're taught to criticise and being a victim and crying out Islamophobia won't help. The big problem is the lack of backbone of some Muslim communities who fail to report signs of radicalisation and then deny any signs when its too late. The quicker that's dealt with, the better.

I never denied they existed. But can you name any Christian terror organisations that have as much funding and support as ISIS, Boko Haram and the Taliban? I agree that there will be good and bad people from every religion but we're not talking about people. We're talking about the ideology that has caused countless deaths through extremism. Considering Islam is the strictest religion in the world and there are so many people who are overly religious and blindly follow the Quran, conservatism comes out from it.
(edited 7 years ago)

Some Christians don't accept Mormons as Christian.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormonism_and_Christianity

Christianity includes both, but the New Covenant supersedes the old.
Original post by champ_mc99

Are Mormons stopped from going on pilgrimage and regularly persecuted? Is there any Christian country whose amendments openly state Mormons aren't real Christians? You're saying some Christians don't accept Mormons so I'll say that majority view them as Christian. The same can't be said for Muslims and their views towards Ahmaddiyas.

True Christians don't except Catholics as Christians
Are Mormons stopped from going on pilgrimage and regularly persecuted? Is there any Christian country whose amendments openly state Mormons aren't real Christians? You're saying some Christians don't accept Mormons so I'll say that majority view them as Christian. The same can't be said for Muslims and their views towards Ahmaddiyas.

I have no idea. Just wanted to correct how you said there's no discrimination within Christianity. There is. I saw this video about an educated Christian apologist saying Islam is closer to Christianity than Mormaism.
There's also the massive clash between the protestants and the Catholics. I'm sure even more of each sect denounce the other.

Original post by TruthToYa
True Christians don't except Catholics as Christians

I thought you couldn't get more Christian than a Catholic. :biggrin:
I'm guessing you're a 'True Christian'?
I have no idea. Just wanted to correct how you said there's no discrimination within Christianity. There is. I saw this video about an educated Christian apologist saying Islam is closer to Christianity than Mormaism.
There's also the massive clash between the protestants and the Catholics. I'm sure even more of each sect denounce the other.

I thought you couldn't get more Christian than a Catholic. :biggrin:
I'm guessing you're a 'True Christian'?

Catholics follow the Pope. Christians follow the Bible.
Original post by TruthToYa
Catholics follow the Pope. Christians follow the Bible.

So which kind of Christian is the true Christian in terms of sects?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending