The Student Room Group

How much are you connected to the internet?

I'm only actively connected to the internet for about 5 hours per day.

I have WiFi at home but the router isn't always plugged in; we don't keep it on because it can get hot when left in for long periods, and because it may be more expensive to leave it running all day every day especially at times when it's not used much (when going out/sleeping, etc). So, we plug it on whenever we decide to go on the internet (it takes about 3 minutes to kick in).

My smartphone is on pay as you go so I don't use the 2/3/4g on that as it costs about £1 per minute. This means when I am out, I must rely on open wifi signals.

This sort of makes me feel left out with friends and stuff because I can't really utilise things such as Whatsapp and stuff.

My question is: how much are you all connected to the internet? By this I mean how much you are passively connected to the internet; not how much time you are actually using it, if you get what I mean.

Are you constantly connected?
Reply 1
Surprisingly, my use of technology and the internet goes down during the holiday period as I am outside more and generally more active. During exam period/academic year my internet use peaks (for work purposes only, I swear :biggrin:). During the school year i spend at most 6 hours on the internet and during the holidays i would be luck to exceed anything over 5 hours (which is a good thing, I suppose).
Reply 2
Pretty much all day during holidays. No kidding. I do **** all almost all the time; hate them.
Original post by Wiggly
I'm only actively connected to the internet for about 5 hours per day.

I have WiFi at home but the router isn't always plugged in; we don't keep it on because it can get hot when left in for long periods, and because it may be more expensive to leave it running all day every day especially at times when it's not used much (when going out/sleeping, etc). So, we plug it on whenever we decide to go on the internet (it takes about 3 minutes to kick in).

My smartphone is on pay as you go so I don't use the 2/3/4g on that as it costs about £1 per minute. This means when I am out, I must rely on open wifi signals.

This sort of makes me feel left out with friends and stuff because I can't really utilise things such as Whatsapp and stuff.

My question is: how much are you all connected to the internet? By this I mean how much you are passively connected to the internet; not how much time you are actually using it, if you get what I mean.

THAT is most dumbest thing I have read all week. You do realise you're paying for wifi 24 hours a day 7 days a week so plugging out means nothing unless you're talking about unplugging all electrical appliances to save on energy consumption which imo is not saving much anyway.

I leave my skybox on ALL the time and it has been on every since we got it, same goes for the moderm.

But getting back to the point of this thread. I'm always connected to the internet even when at work I'm always checking the news websites, social media and a couple of forums (not this one).

edit: after reading my post following hitting submit i do apologise about how incoherent my post sounds, I don't care to edit it
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
At home I'm on the internet a LOTS but when I go out I don't use mobile data and also tend to leave my phone at home to get away from it. I used to be really obsessed but now I'd rather just walk down the road and take in my surroundings then be connected 24/7
Depends on how my candy, magic and juice deals are going.
Lifeline
Reply 7
Pretty much always connected, home Wi-Fi and mobile data so I always get messages and emails wherever I am. Usually spend around 1-2 hours on it during a working day and God knows how long on a slow weekend.

Original post by Wiggly

If you have to stay on PAYG I'd highly recommend 3's PAYG plan, as it's just 1p/mb which almost makes it better value than most contracts depending on how you use it.
Reply 8
I have unlimited 4G data on my phone, use Netflix and Amazon Prime on my TV and use my Macbook Pro for most of the day with 100mb/s WiFi.
I simply cannot live without it and refuse to go on holiday to anywhere where I cannot use 3's policy of 'use your phone abroad at no extra cost'.
Essentially sound like Millenial brat but I simply cannot live without the internet, having had it for most of my life.
So essentially, the only time I am not using the internet at any point of the day is when I am asleep.
And even then I occasionally wake up at 2-3am to check the news and use my phone before I go to sleep and when I wake up.
Reply 9
At home, always connected.

When I go out, rare-never unless I'm in a place which has WiFi. I don't use data on my phone.

:redface: :redface: :redface:
well, my phone alone says that I have used 43.02GB of WiFi data since the 19th June... and I think I use my laptop even more :redface:
Pretty much 24/7, at home and away
I connected to internet a lots, almost 12 hours for me. WiFi is everywhere at home at office so phone is almost connected to internet.
Reply 14
I live with my parents and they are the type who wish to save as much as they can; un-plug appliances when not used, pick up pennies in the street, etc. When I'm home alone I leave it on for longer, but I do see the point in not having it in when sleeping or out.

I've been looking for a phone deal for a while. I don't really call/text that often (e.g. a few times a month) so I don't really top up very often (about £50 per year perhaps). I've been looking for a contract/deal below £10 as £120 per year is quite a big jump for what I'm currently spending.
Around 16 hours a day. That doesn't necessarily mean I'm staring at a screen all that time, but that I have my phone around me with internet access. I have wifi at home and at work and a data plan that means I can just use 3G all the time if I want, but I turn it off entirely when I'm sleeping because I get too many notifications at night that wake me up.
Always connected to the internet

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending