The Student Room Group

What do Cambridge think of GCSE retakes.

So I'm currently y12 going into y13 next year. I didn't get my GCSE predictions last year due to illness and wanted to redo 10 of my GCSE's (in which I was predicted a*s) Providing i made these grades in the retakes and the required grades at a level, would I still be able to apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I strongly suggest you don't retake gcse's unless you failed english or maths, as gcse's are pointless once you have A-levels and yh I doubt cambridge would make you an offer given you're planning to redo all your gcse's....just try hard with your Alevels and get an A*AA or above prediction and apply.
Reply 2
Original post by teddie_
So I'm currently y12 going into y13 next year. I didn't get my GCSE predictions last year due to illness and wanted to redo 10 of my GCSE's (in which I was predicted a*s) Providing i made these grades in the retakes and the required grades at a level, would I still be able to apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What GCSEs did you actually get?
What course are you considering applying for?
GCSEs are not that important for Cambridge.
Also it would be more likely that doing so many resits would adversely affect your A-levels, which are MUCH more important.

And you should provide an ECF (Extenuating Circumstances Form) to explain what happened.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/decisions/extenuating-circumstances-form
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by jneill
What GCSEs did you actually get?
What course are you considering applying for?
GCSEs are not that important for Cambridge.
Also it would be more likely that doing so many resits would adversely affect your A-levels, which are MUCH more important.

And you should provide an ECF (Extenuating Circumstances Form) to explain what happened.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/decisions/extenuating-circumstances-form
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm thinking of applying for business, psychology or law.
GCSE'S were 2A's, 3B's, 2c's and 3D's. But yeah, predictions were much much higher.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by teddie_
I'm thinking of applying for business, psychology or law.
GCSE'S were 2A's, 3B's, 2c's and 3D's. But yeah, predictions were much much higher.

There's no undergrad business course at Cambridge.

But given your circumstances I wouldn't recommend resiting GCSEs for the reasons already given.

Did you sit AS-levels in Y12? It would have been good to show your improving academic trajectory if you did.

What A-levels are you doing?
Reply 5
Original post by jneill
There's no undergrad business course at Cambridge.

But given your circumstances I wouldn't recommend resiting GCSEs for the reasons already given.

Did you sit AS-levels in Y12? It would have been good to show your improving academic trajectory if you did.

What A-levels are you doing?

Nope, all my a level courses are linear.
I'm doing business, psychology and history.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by teddie_
Nope, all my a level courses are linear.
I'm doing business, psychology and history.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some Cambridge colleges require Biology for PBS, so you would just need to avoid them.
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/psychological-and-behavioural-sciences

You have nothing to lose by applying for 2017, and the new admissions assessments may help you.

And then there's the option of a post A-level application too if necessary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Will Cambridge show preference to people who have gotten the grades first time?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by teddie_
Will Cambridge show preference to people who have gotten the grades first time?

Posted from TSR Mobile

GCSEs? As i said there's no point resitting lots of GCSEs. Just move on, and do well at A-level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending