The Student Room Group

Returning to uni... help needed

I am applying for student finance for the 3rd time and I need some help.

I had some personal issues in Spring - Autumn 2015 and it has caused me some set backs, and I have made a few mistakes. I am in a better position now, but I am worried this will not enable me to go back to college in September.

I will break it down:

1. I began a Foundation course in September 2014 (£6,000 per year), and I completed the first year but I failed it.

2. I then began another Foundation course in Sept 2015 at a different university (£9,000 per year), but I quickly realised that the course was not for me, so I left in November after less than two months studying there. SF had already paid the university one installment, and I received the first installment of my maintenance loan before I left.

3. I have received an offer to study at another college The course is for two years and costs a little less than £6,000 per year.

How will my failures last year affect my tuition fee and maintenance loan?

Thank you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by chocolate buttons
I am applying for student finance for the 3rd time and I need some help.

I had some personal issues in Spring - Autumn 2015 and it has caused me some set backs, and I have made a few mistakes. I am in a better position now, but I am worried this will not enable me to go back to college in September.

I will break it down:

1. I began a Foundation course in September 2014 (£6,000 per year), and I completed the first year but I failed it.

2. I then began another Foundation course in Sept 2015 at a different university (£9,000 per year), but I quickly realised that the course was not for me, so I left in November after less than two months studying there. SF had already paid the university one installment, and I received the first installment of my maintenance loan before I left.

3. I have received an offer to study at another college The course is for two years and costs a little less than £6,000 per year.

How will my failures last year affect my tuition fee and maintenance loan?

Thank you.

The basic equation is:

Number of years of new course (minus) Number of previous years of uni-level study (plus) One Year = Remaining years of entitlement to Student Finance

For the purpose of this calculation, partially completed years are counted as full years. In your case this gives you 2-2+1=1 year of SF remaining

For your new course, you would have to self-fund the first year including paying your own tuition fee, apart from a minimum Maintenance Loan. Your full Student Finance entitlement would be given for the second year.

If the personal issues which affected you in 2015 were sufficiently serious, and you could produce proof that without them you probably would have passed your first Foundation year, then you may be able to claim that year of SF entitlement back through their "Compelling Personal Reasons" process. You would need to provide written evidence from a third party such as a GP, counsellor etc., which describes your difficulties and how they affected your ability to study.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello, thank you for your reply, it really explained things.
I am suffering from anxiety, OCD and depression, and it was particularly bad during the time that I described in my OP (more specifically March - October 2015) - but it wasn't actually diagnosed until earlier this year, as I kept putting off going to the doctors.
Would that be an acceptable excuse? What would my doctor have to write in the note?
Reply 3
Original post by chocolate buttons
Hello, thank you for your reply, it really explained things.
I am suffering from anxiety, OCD and depression, and it was particularly bad during the time that I described in my OP (more specifically March - October 2015) - but it wasn't actually diagnosed until earlier this year, as I kept putting off going to the doctors.
Would that be an acceptable excuse? What would my doctor have to write in the note?

Your doctor would have to describe your symptoms and how they affected your ability to study. S/he would have to include the start date, so it would depend on whether they were willing to use the start date as the one you report, or the date on which you first saw them about it. Might be best to have that discussion with your GP before making further plans.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending