The Student Room Group

How often do you view the Islamic Society?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Epicurean
I've spoken to the mods about it and they are fully aware of it. The fact that you are denying sectarianism only proves my point further. I have countless examples which I shall be presenting to the mods.

If you have evidence as you say then please publicly show us so we all condemn it.
If you don't, then please with all due respect end the bs.
The fact you fail to show anything substantial to prove what you say shows that you have nothing but bs. Despite many prompts asking for proof of glaring sectarianism over apparently all the previous iterations.
Which is quite a bold claim.
As with regards to editing the op please have a look at my edit to my previous post.
I just have to say, a number of shia users have abandoned using the I-Soc, and may do not use it, out of the secterianism among some of its users towards shia muslims.
Original post by Al-farhan
x

Original post by The Epicurean
x.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind the secterianism being promoted by some on the I-Soc.

I have been here for a number of years, and i swear by Allah:

1. Many users (not most, but many) have abused me, insulted me, some of them even asking for me to get booted out of the thread. Some of these users have even recognised just how badly they felt i was abused, they offered heart felt apologies.

2. Some of the most prominent users of the I-Soc have referred to me as a 'Rafidha', which when used by salafi's and secterians is a very vile and abusive word used to label shia muslims. Even after telling them to stop, they did not apologise and gloated about using it on other shia's.

3. A number of neutral, non secterian posts, which merely promote prophetic ahadith, Quran, etc, have been over the years without me provoking anyone, quoted, and i have been told to stop quoting deviant shia books again and again. When some salafi's quote the likes of ibn taymiyyah, and praise him, i have never decided to call them out.

4. There is definitely a gang mentality between some users on the I-Soc, who share their hatred of shia's, and will cluster together against me. I don't like to raise or bring up the issues again, but you have personally called me an online paid agent, and on the shia-sunni discussion thread, asked me if i read what i type, or input the first thing that comes into my head. Continually on the I-soc, you have sided with people like ideasforlife et al. Although you have shown kindness to me and far better manners than some of your friends here, there is no doubt in my mind your behaviour to me is because i am a shia muslim. You would not talk like this towards a sunni muslim.

5. When i asked for the Original Post, to have two clear headings, one for sunni resources, and one for shia resources, so people could by their own free will refer to each one, as this thread after all, is for all madhabs, and not the 'sunni islamic society', i was told the following by Ideas for life, who is a prominent member on the I-Soc, who has referred to me by the abusive nick-name 'rafidha', continually tried to provoke me by cursing my Ulema, Ayatullah Khamanei (ha) and i have had to endure bitterly so as to not refute or cause an argument, has refused to reply to my salams, and on several of his temporary accounts, has continually tried to provoke me.

Here is what he had to say about me when i requested equality in posting resources in the Original Post. Note, do take a look and see if anyone spoke up for me:

Instead of even once calling out IdeasforLife for this bigoted and secterian remark, you told me "this was a new low for you" - for asking brother Zamestaneh if a moderator could edit his post and add my links in, if he felt he could religious not do so.

I am merely speaking the truth. The level of secterianism among some users on the I-Soc at some points, has grieved me so much so, i could not emotionally cope , and left TSR altogether for a few months.

Brother Al Farhan, i will never ever forget the kindness you showed me in may'june when i was going through a very tough time. But i have to be open and fair here. Will you, condemn ideasforlife, for referring me as a Rafdiha, considering me not a brother in Islam, the bigoted post he has written in the i-soc, refusing to reply to my salams, and making several temporary accounts and posting secterian things in the I-Soc ?

My heart tells me you won't. You consider me a deviant, and ideasforlife your brother. But i would love to be proven wrong.
In terms of creating a new thread for sunni's exclusively, that is what the secterians want. They want to exclude other groups, and so to reinforce them as deviants. I am absolutely against splitting the I-Soc, and those users that can not learn to coexist, live in peace, and respect one another should be referred to the moderating team.

I believe there needs to be a secular moderator, who governs the I-soc, an atheist, or a non-muslim, who ensures every single user, be they a sunni or shia, feels safe, secure, and respected.
Original post by Tawheed
I just have to say, a number of shia users have abandoned using the I-Soc, and may do not use it, out of the secterianism among some of its users towards shia muslims.

Can you direct them to this poll then please, because so far no Shi'i has voted in the poll which would imply that there are not many with the demand to use the ISOC
I have answered many of your accusations before. But you are still attempting to use them to make yourself appear as a victim. Appealing to people's emotions 24/7 in a bid to control ISOC is quite sad.

You and Epicurean can carry on teaming up to try though :tongue:

Original post by Tawheed
There is absolutely no doubt in my mind the secterianism being promoted by some on the I-Soc.

1. Many users (not most, but many) have abused me, insulted me, some of them even asking for me to get booted out of the thread. Some of these users have even recognised just how badly they felt i was abused, they offered heart felt apologies.

2. Some of the most prominent users of the I-Soc have referred to me as a 'Rafidha', which when used by salafi's and secterians is a very vile and abusive word used to label shia muslims. Even after telling them to stop, they did not apologise and gloated about using it on other shia's.

3. A number of neutral, non secterian posts, which merely promote prophetic ahadith, Quran, etc, have been over the years without me provoking anyone, quoted, and i have been told to stop quoting deviant shia books again and again. When some salafi's quote the likes of ibn taymiyyah, and praise him, i have never decided to call them out.

4. There is definitely a gang mentality between some users on the I-Soc, who share their hatred of shia's, and will cluster together against me. I don't like to raise or bring up the issues again, but you have personally called me an online paid agent, and on the shia-sunni discussion thread, asked me if i read what i type, or input the first thing that comes into my head. Continually on the I-soc, you have sided with people like ideasforlife et al. Although you have shown kindness to me and far better manners than some of your friends here, there is no doubt in my mind your behaviour to me is because i am a shia muslim. You would not talk like this towards a sunni muslim.

5. When i asked for the Original Post, to have two clear headings, one for sunni resources, and one for shia resources, so people could by their own free will refer to each one, as this thread after all, is for all madhabs, and not the 'sunni islamic society', i was told the following by Ideas for life, who is a prominent member on the I-Soc, who has referred to me by the abusive nick-name 'rafidha', continually tried to provoke me by cursing my Ulema, Ayatullah Khamanei (ha) and i have had to endure bitterly so as to not refute or cause an argument, has refused to reply to my salams, and on several of his temporary accounts, has continually tried to provoke me.

Here is what he had to say about me when i requested equality in posting resources in the Original Post. Note, do take a look and see if anyone spoke up for me:

Instead of even once calling out IdeasforLife for this bigoted and secterian remark, you told me "this was a new low for you" - for asking brother Zamestaneh if a moderator could edit his post and add my links in, if he felt he could religious not do so.

I am merely speaking the truth. The level of secterianism among some users on the I-Soc at some points, has grieved me so much so, i could not emotionally cope , and left TSR altogether for a few months.

Brother Al Farhan, i will never ever forget the kindness you showed me in may'june when i was going through a very tough time. But i have to be open and fair here. Will you, condemn ideasforlife, for referring me as a Rafdiha, considering me not a brother in Islam, the bigoted post he has written in the i-soc, refusing to reply to my salams, and making several temporary accounts and posting secterian things in the I-Soc ?

My heart tells me you won't. You consider me a deviant, and ideasforlife your brother. But i would love to be proven wrong.
Hmm, why do people speak more cordially and civilly with non-Muslims who make degrading posts about Islam, than with shias I mean not all shi'as do shirk and some want peace with sunnis. I think we need to speak to someone knowledgeable about how to deal with people of different sects/religions. I mean if you're going to be nice to a non-Muslims on account of this verse :

"Allah does not forbid you to deal justly and kindly with those who fought not against you on account of religion and did not drive you out of your homes. Verily, Allah loves those who deal with equity.
It is only as regards those who fought against you on account of religion, and have driven you out of your homes, and helped to drive you out, that Allah forbids you to befriend them. And whosoever will befriend them, then such are the Zalimoon (wrong-doers those who disobey Allah).”

[al-Mumtahanah 60:8-9].

then double check how you treat Shi'ias and other sects etc
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tawheed

Original post by Tawheed
x

So as the ball keeps rolling.
You bring it at my feet Tawheed.
I don't really know what you get out of this.
But I have never called you deviant, and disagreeing with someone doesn't give me the right to call say someone is deviant. That is not my manhaj.
I might question why you post semi supportive Assad propaganda, at my end and my intentions are not to do so as a result of your shia believes. Goodbloke also equally accused you of being a shill, is he also sectarian?
If I had any issue with you being shia I wouldn't associate or call you brother.
I view all on the isoc brothers and sisters, but it seems you have a different view.
If you hold against me that I don't get involved in arguments and steer clear and use that as indication of sectarianism. Then SubhanAllah.
You often speak of husnuzan but seem to never use it when dealing with others ( as it is quite apparent here)
But since I'm a sectarian in your eyes and you have hidden issues with me (that are surfacing now), and questioning our brotherhood i can only say:
هذا فراق بيني وبينك
Reply 88
Hmmm the effort and desire (may it be directly or indirectly) to shut down the ISOC... :redface:. So much interest towards this society is being shown. I can't believe it. :s-smilie:

I am not sure about the ruling for these types of threads. Is one allowed to edit the OP whenever they want and how many times they want?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zamestaneh
Can you direct them to this poll then please, because so far no Shi'i has voted in the poll which would imply that there are not many with the demand to use the ISOC

I don't really believe many shia users who have joined, and subsequently left TSR, or who do not really visit it, will be coming on simply to vote in this poll, and i say this with due respect. Many who are on TSR don't feel a connection to the I-Soc.

Being called a Rafidha, being called out for simply quoting Al Kafi, having your Ulema cursed and abused, and having the gang mentality among the minority on the I-Soc is something i can bear, but not something many who just want a casual, friendly islamic experience are willing to put up with.

Although i am a regular member, and inshAllah wish to continue to be as regular a member as i can possibly be, i respectfully will decline from voting.

As an aside, i do not class you as the group who are secterian, even though you clearly have your loyalties and at times have not shown impartiality, as well as refused to create an OP with sunni resources under a subheading, and shia resources under a subheading, on the premise that it was against your beliefs to spread or even post , deviant shia beliefs [again, i respect your right to your belief]. But you must understand how behaviour like this drives away many shia's from using the I-Soc.

Your adhab - manners - however, has been absolutely excellent, and a guide and model i hope others can follow, and i truly do hope we can continue to converse with cordiality, in peace, and with the respect we have so far done.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 90
Original post by Biryani007
Lol @Reformed selecting rarely/never :rofl:

Original post by Zamestaneh
Abu Al-Thebest

Dead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by h333
Hmmm the effort and desire (may it be directly or indirectly) to shut down the ISOC... :redface:. So much interest towards this society is being shown. I can't believe it. :s-smilie:

I am not sure about the ruling for these types of threads. Is one allowed to edit the OP whenever they want and how many times they want?

The non-Muslims and Tawheed are trying very hard to destroy it (by changing it to how they want it).

Well Muslims have always ran Isoc and majority did as we saw fit and amended the OP (when we saw a need for it e.g. adding in Queen Cersei's post about no debate or TMG's reminders) . But it seems a minority wish to change it, a minority of 1 person (not included the self claimed non-Muslims ) ;p
Original post by Tawheed
I don't really believe many shia users who have joined, and subsequently left TSR, or who do not really visit it, will be coming on simply to vote in this poll, and i say this with due respect. Many who are on TSR don't feel a connection to the I-Soc.

Although i am a regular member, and inshAllah wish to continue to be as regular a member as i can possibly be, i respectfully will decline from voting.

If some of the ones who do not feel a connection to the ISOC are still on TSR, then perhaps they can still vote that they rarely/never look at the ISOC; then again, my belief is that there are only a few Shia who actively use TSR, although establishing this was the purpose of this poll :holmes:

--

Using Hikmah, I would advise that trying to force something which goes against the desires or beliefs of the majority would only breed more enmity, harbouring more of the sectarian attitudes that you deplore and experience the affects of - can you not see what drama this has kicked off? Is the drama, disunity and enmity worth this? I have explained why both religiously and practically your request is not helpful on the ISOC, so to continue to push for it is unfortunately indicative of an agenda; I understand that you are trying to spread what you perceive to be truth (which is fair enough as the duty of a Muslim) but the reality is that you are forcing the majority to give equal platform to a minority belief it doesn't agree with - it's like me going into a mosque in Tehran and forcing the Ayyatollahs to let me give a Friday sermon full of quotes from Umar, Abu Bakr, Uthman, Sunni scholars and Sunni ideas to the Shia majority... but it's okay because at the beginning of the sermon I said it was a Sunni sermon, so that makes it fine right? I can say that the Shia government of Iran is oppressing me and cry they are imposing their rule on me in a sectarian manner, but does that give me right to force the majority to accept what I want, even if it's just to stand on the mimbar for a Friday a month?
Original post by h333

These things come and go. Not long ago a couple of ISOC members were fervently trying to shut down the Ex-Muslim Society.
Original post by h333

I don't think anyone is trying to shut down the ISOC. :wink:

Yep.
Reply 95
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
These things come and go. Not long ago a couple of ISOC members were fervently trying to shut down the Ex-Muslim Society.

Oh really. When was this? :redface:
I just recently got to know that society exists lol :colondollar: (idk might be because I did not notice any mention of it, even out of interest). I don't even know if anyone mentioned the society or even the atheist one on I-SOC either. I found the atheist one from the trending list once and have not visited again. :biggrin:

Original post by Legendary Quest
I don't think anyone is trying to shut down the ISOC. :wink:

Yep.

Idk it is quite confusing, I feel some do. Hopefully, the majority don't. :smile:

Oh right.

Original post by IdeasForLife
The non-Muslims and Tawheed are trying very hard to destroy it (by changing it to how they want it).

Well Muslims have always ran Isoc and majority did as we saw fit and amended the OP (when we saw a need for it e.g. adding in Queen Cersei's post about no debate or TMG's reminders) . But it seems a minority wish to change it, a minority of 1 person (not included the self claimed non-Muslims ) ;p

With all respect, please control your emotions regarding matters like this. I am sure @Tawheed would not and does not want this hopefully (Insha'Allah).

Hmm I feel that we should have like a vote system for only the members but where we can't reveal each other's vote. Idek if that would be possible. But then I feel some people will disagree as it may not work. I also feel that only info regarding Islam should be in the OP and nothing else eg politics etc and only info from the hadiths etc. But then idk how this will actually happen. :frown:
Original post by h333
Oh really. When was this? :redface:
I just recently got to know that society exists lol :colondollar: (idk might be because I did not notice any mention of it, even out of interest). I don't even know if anyone mentioned the society or even the atheist one on I-SOC either. I found the atheist one from the trending list once and have not visited again. :biggrin:

A couple of months ago this happened. Needless to say they failed.

Hmm I feel that we should have like a vote system for only the members but where we can't reveal each other's vote. Idek if that would be possible. But then I feel some people will disagree as it may not work. I also feel that only info regarding Islam should be in the OP and nothing else eg politics etc and only info from the hadiths etc. But then idk how this will actually happen. :frown:

Every poll has the option to make the voters anonymous :smile:
Original post by Tawheed
In terms of creating a new thread for sunni's exclusively, that is what the secterians want. They want to exclude other groups, and so to reinforce them as deviants. I am absolutely against splitting the I-Soc, and those users that can not learn to coexist, live in peace, and respect one another should be referred to the moderating team.

I believe there needs to be a secular moderator, who governs the I-soc, an atheist, or a non-muslim, who ensures every single user, be they a sunni or shia, feels safe, secure, and respected.

Why are you soo butt hurt? :redface: Come on be an adult for once!
Reply 98
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
A couple of months ago this happened. Needless to say they failed.

Every poll has the option to make the voters anonymous :smile:

Wasn't there a thread asking whether or not to shut down the I-SOC or to actually shut it down. Something along those line. I even think I posted on it. And then a user said it would be interesting to ask the same for athiests one I think and then I am sure I said atleast denied. And probs a few others. Lol I might be completely wrong and imagining things as I can't completely remember. But oh well, hope we can get along. No need for all this, if we are to say that we are mature. :smile:
Original post by Reformed
excuse my jibe - i essentially was having a little fun at the expense of some of the perhaps less enlightened muslims who thought on various threads that the islamic golden age saw muslims invent maths, algebra and calculus, which the rest of us know they did not, the y simply learnt it form pre islamic societies.

in terms of my views, i tend only to view the isoc when i am posting on it. and my posts have in general been more frequent when topical issues arise like in last few weeks/months etc that bring islam into the public forum. i think thats the same for many people

It is dishonest to claim they simply learned algebra from pre existing societies.They added hugely to algebra too and other branches of science.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending