The Student Room Group

Bulk up on a student budget

So i have a very slim build and plan on starting the gym again very soon. I have been for several months previously but unfortunately I wasn't getting the results I wanted which I put down to my crappy student diet and not getting enough protein. I plan on starting again and coming up with a proper diet plan, but given that i'll need to eat like 5 meals a day I am unsure how im supposed to afford all of that protein on a student budget?

do you gym vets have any advice on where to pick up a bargain on mind sharing your diet plan?

Thanks!
Do you plan on getting the protein from traditional sources (meat, fish, eggs) or as powders? I've always suggested wholesalers for meats, chicken is £1.40/kg collected from your nearest https://www.jjfoodservice.com collection point and lean meat is about £3.00/kg. Eggs and such are quite affordable for the protein they give (Lidl/Aldi/Morrisons/Farmfoods/Iceland etc to source).
Reply 2
Original post by Rather_Cynical
Do you plan on getting the protein from traditional sources (meat, fish, eggs) or as powders? I've always suggested wholesalers for meats, chicken is £1.40/kg collected from your nearest https://www.jjfoodservice.com collection point and lean meat is about £3.00/kg. Eggs and such are quite affordable for the protein they give (Lidl/Aldi/Morrisons/Farmfoods/Iceland etc to source).

well if I'm correct I'll need around 5 meals a day with about 35g of protein in each. my plan was to eat 4 times a day and replace one of the meals with some protein shake. do yo this should work? or could i get away with 3 meals a day + 2 shakes? and thanks, i'll take a loot at that site.
I am currently 17 years old and have had a pretty good transformation over the last year or so. My dad gives me a 20 pound budget per week to buy groceries and I find it to be more than enough. The groceries (all from tesco) usually are:
- Milk
- Egg whites
- Eggs
- Chicken breasts
- Nuts
- Rice
- Tuna
- Vegetables
- Fruit

I'm always able to get at least 3300 calories per day with these groceries alone. I haven't included stuff like seasoning or oil as they were already at home but they won't be expensive as you won't buy them too often
If you're on that strict of a budget you might find Protein Shakes a good idea, you just need to remember they AREN'T are replacement for traditional sources of protein (meat, eggs etc.)

MyProtein is by far the best I've tried (http://myprotein.com) On a bulk, I've used 50g of it daily and that provides around 40g of extra protein.
It's usually quite good just to have some around, in case you run short on meat or anything like that. A 1kg bag is only £11-12.

You're also suggesting you have 5 meals a day and then potentiallly replacing some of them with protein shakes etc, a good idea might be to work out the macronutrients you need and see where you can exchange them for alternate sources, it ensures you'll have the correct amount of macros a day.
Original post by CyberJake
If you're on that strict of a budget you might find Protein Shakes a good idea, you just need to remember they AREN'T are replacement for traditional sources of protein (meat, eggs etc.)

MyProtein is by far the best I've tried (http://myprotein.com) On a bulk, I've used 50g of it daily and that provides around 40g of extra protein.
It's usually quite good just to have some around, in case you run short on meat or anything like that. A 1kg bag is only £11-12.

You're also suggesting you have 5 meals a day and then potentiallly replacing some of them with protein shakes etc, a good idea might be to work out the macronutrients you need and see where you can exchange them for alternate sources, it ensures you'll have the correct amount of macros a day.

I'd absolutely love to take whey protein! They're a much easier and cheaper way of taking in a lot of protein, but my parents don't let me have it:frown:
Original post by dakofsta
I'd absolutely love to take whey protein! They're a much easier and cheaper way of taking in a lot of protein, but my parents don't let me have it:frown:

Eh, I honestly do it because it's easy and fast, but it's not the end of the world really - different types of protein in forms of powder get absorbed into the body a little faster, but thats the only real benefit.
As long as you get enough protein for maintenance or bulk or fitting it into your macros, you're pretty much all good.
Kraft Mac n cheese, 100g carb, 1000 calories. £1
My 'go to' foods as a student were tuna, eggs, loads of green veg (relatively cheap), oatmeal with whey, frozen cod, tinned sardines, fruit. You don't necessarily need to blow loads of money on supps, main aim just needs to be consistently hitting a calorie surpass. Something else to factor in here is training volume: the more you train the more you'll need to eat if the aim is to add size. Be efficient with training and measure/focus on continually improving your strength.
Reply 9
Original post by dakofsta
I am currently 17 years old and have had a pretty good transformation over the last year or so. My dad gives me a 20 pound budget per week to buy groceries and I find it to be more than enough. The groceries (all from tesco) usually are:
- Milk
- Egg whites
- Eggs
- Chicken breasts
- Nuts
- Rice
- Tuna
- Vegetables
- Fruit

I'm always able to get at least 3300 calories per day with these groceries alone. I haven't included stuff like seasoning or oil as they were already at home but they won't be expensive as you won't buy them too often

Hi, thanks for sharing. What about your carb intake, do you reduce this for bulking up and just focus on protein or do you also include a certain amount of carbs per day?

Thanks
Reply 10
What you need is lots of pasta and tuna. Protein is just for muscle recovery. What gains weight quicker is lots of carbs. About 4000 cal a day diet is ideal. you want 5 meals a day and snacks. May sound like a lot but start with 5 small meals and once you get used to that increase the size. If you smoke, stop. This curbs your appetite. I recommend have eggs for breakfast, make a biiiig box of pasta n tuna for the day. Just eat a fist sized portion every hour or so with nuts as snacks in between. Grab some chicken for dinner. Carry on with the pasta til tea and a decent meal at tea time. Eat before bed so you're not burning it off and maybe have protein shakes morning, noon, night and when exercise. You will see noticeable gains in weeks. Just make sure you exercise or it'll go to the gut. Like I said sounds a lot but if you keep the portions to actual portion sizes (size of your fist) it's not that much. The goal is to keep your stomach open and eventually stretch it so it can accommodate a larger portion.
Original post by OGBatman
What you need is lots of pasta and tuna. Protein is just for muscle recovery. What gains weight quicker is lots of carbs. About 4000 cal a day diet is ideal. you want 5 meals a day and snacks. May sound like a lot but start with 5 small meals and once you get used to that increase the size. If you smoke, stop. This curbs your appetite. I recommend have eggs for breakfast, make a biiiig box of pasta n tuna for the day. Just eat a fist sized portion every hour or so with nuts as snacks in between. Grab some chicken for dinner. Carry on with the pasta til tea and a decent meal at tea time. Eat before bed so you're not burning it off and maybe have protein shakes morning, noon, night and when exercise. You will see noticeable gains in weeks. Just make sure you exercise or it'll go to the gut. Like I said sounds a lot but if you keep the portions to actual portion sizes (size of your fist) it's not that much. The goal is to keep your stomach open and eventually stretch it so it can accommodate a larger portion.

Not being rude, but this is all terrible advice, even if we ignore the fact that the Op is no longer active on these forums and hasn't been for a long time.

First off, advising a caloric intake to someone you know nothing about is ridiculous. I'm like, 190lbs when I'm lean, I'd get fat on 4000 calories. I'm not very active besides weight training, but it just goes to show you cannot go around prescribing a cookie-cutter caloric target. Also, nobody will notice gains in mere weeks even as a rank beginner - if you're gaining weight THAT quickly, you're eating WAY too much and that weight gain will be fat. How much you exercise has no influence over how calories are used when an excess is taken in - if you're in a large surplus, you get fat quickly, no ifs no buts.

Protein does indeed pretty much predominantly aid recovery after training - that's no small matter, though. The recovery and repair process is key in the overall growth process.

You also contradicted yourself - you said you should be eating fist-size portions, but then went on to say that the aim is to stretch your stomach to accompany large portion sizes? Either way, absolutely no need for the latter. Eat the amount of calories that you need to grow. If you're needing to force-feed yourself to get them down, a change of strategy is needed and you may consider getting more liquid calories. You can fit a lot of calories into a single shake.

For anyone reading this thread and wanting dietary advice, check the stickied FAQ in the fitness forum.
Reply 12
Original post by Cheesypasta
So i have a very slim build and plan on starting the gym again very soon. I have been for several months previously but unfortunately I wasn't getting the results I wanted which I put down to my crappy student diet and not getting enough protein. I plan on starting again and coming up with a proper diet plan, but given that i'll need to eat like 5 meals a day I am unsure how im supposed to afford all of that protein on a student budget?

do you gym vets have any advice on where to pick up a bargain on mind sharing your diet plan?

Thanks!

If you want to just put on size just count your calories use fitness pal app to help with that , you need over 2500cals to put weight on and as for supplements check out fitness panda great online store low prices

Quick Reply

Latest