The Student Room Group

Economics at AS,A-Level and hopefully uni!

What are your opinions on doing Economics with Maths and Geography for AS and A-Level. I am planning to do only those 3 and now feel to do economics at uni? How hard is Economics and the workload at AS and A-Level and would you recommend it with Maths and Geography?
Original post by lan5
What are your opinions on doing Economics with Maths and Geography for AS and A-Level. I am planning to do only those 3 and now feel to do economics at uni? How hard is Economics and the workload at AS and A-Level and would you recommend it with Maths and Geography?

That sounds like a great combination of subjects for an Economics degree :smile:
Reply 2
Brillliant combo, to study economics at uni you need Maths, its a MUST. Geography is also respected, whats your 4th subject? you've picked demanding subjects id go for something easy.
Original post by lan5
If you are looking to go to Cambridge or LSE, i would suggest you get further maths as well, otherwise you will likely not really be able to apply to them (or at least be able to apply and expect an offer)
Original post by lan5

Do you know what exam board you would be on if you chose Economics (at A-level).
Reply 5
Original post by OrionMusicNet
Do you know what exam board you would be on if you chose Economics (at A-level).

Edexcel. Do you know how hard it is?
Reply 6
If you are looking to go to Cambridge or LSE, i would suggest you get further maths as well, otherwise you will likely not really be able to apply to them (or at least be able to apply and expect an offer)

Do you think I can still get into Cambridge or LSE with only those 3 subjects?
Reply 7
Original post by don jon
Brillliant combo, to study economics at uni you need Maths, its a MUST. Geography is also respected, whats your 4th subject? you've picked demanding subjects id go for something easy.

I'm planning to do only 3 subjects. Do I need to do a 4th to get into Cambridge or LSE?
Original post by lan5
Do you think I can still get into Cambridge or LSE with only those 3 subjects?

Not without further maths to be truthfully honest. but you would probably be fine for any other universities. As for knowing how hard edexcel is, I don't know to be truthfully honest, I did OCR unfortunately.
Reply 9
Not without further maths to be truthfully honest. but you would probably be fine for any other universities. As for knowing how hard edexcel is, I don't know to be truthfully honest, I did OCR unfortunately.

How did you find it and what were your other subjects?
I just finished AS edexcel economics this year and I found it to be the easiest of my subjects (maths, fm, phys)

Its one of them subjects which requires low-medium effort to maintain an A compared to something like physics. As long as you understand/memorise all the content, you should be perfectly fine.

One of the best methods that I found for AS was to basically just read a paragraph (of solid content) and repeat it without looking at it. This worked well as most of the exam is just regurgitating everything you've learnt from the textbook

As for Cambridge, its is strongly recommended to take further maths as a fourth AS. Not only because most candidates will have it but because it will help greatly as I heard the course there is extremely mathematical. I self-taught fm this year (and will do next year) and it is not much of a step up from normal maths as long as you are willing to put the work in.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by hellomynameisr
I just finished AS edexcel economics this year and I found it to be the easiest of my subjects (maths, fm, phys)

Its one of them subjects which requires low-medium effort to maintain an A compared to something like physics. As long as you understand/memorise all the content, you should be perfectly fine.

One of the best methods that I found for AS was to basically just read a paragraph (of solid content) and repeat it without looking at it. This worked well as most of the exam is just regurgitating everything you've learnt from the textbook

What exam board?
Original post by Rajive
What exam board?

Edexcel...
Reply 13
Original post by hellomynameisr
Edexcel...

I have seen past papers for that board for a level economics, it looks like you tick an option and explain why for most questions, is it as straight forward as it looks?
Original post by Rajive
I have seen past papers for that board for a level economics, it looks like you tick an option and explain why for most questions, is it as straight forward as it looks?

In the old spec, yes. In the new, reformed a levels, sadly not.

There are still multiple choice questions but there are much less. Most of it is focused on just writing. They throw in about 2-4 multiple choice ones.

But it is still relatively quite simple
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest