The Student Room Group

2017 Investment Banking Graduate scheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Liquid Gold.
My concern is the limited spaces. I wouldn't mind summering again if it led to more success, but ideally I'd like an immediate start/avoid a Masters.

I'm assuming you're on the road to convert this internship? So why not take the risk with applying for grad with that in mind?

As for spots, elite boutique banks tend to have more available than BBs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Graduate here entering MSc going to apply for graduate roles. I already have 2+ years of work experience.

Applying for graduate banking roles! Glad to join the forum.
(edited 7 years ago)
When you say limited spaces, is that just based around the assumptions of Post-Brexit recruitment?
Original post by TheParham
When you say limited spaces, is that just based around the assumptions of Post-Brexit recruitment?

Conversion rates mostly. Banks (especially BBs) usually hire the vast majority of their new grads from their internship programmes (be that summer, off cycle, placement year). Which ultimately leads to remaining spots from people who decline their return offers to pursue something else, or to fill in the gap between convertees (who have confirmed their offers) and a target class intake size. Some banks didn't even recruit grads last year (BAML) because they had enough convertees to fill their grad intake.

Brexit might affect things a tad more hitting conversion rates and target grad intake class sizes but no-one really knows yet.

The reason I said elite boutiques have more spots (relatively) is because their internship programs are very small so they make up the difference by recruiting graduates.

That's the view from my friends involved in recruiting anyway. Someone else can confirm if they want.

Overall, if you think you're competitive I would apply.

EDIT: this is mostly based on info for front office

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Why not just apply for internships? Banking grad schemes have 135 applicants per place...
http://news.efinancialcareers.com/uk-en/145753/110000-applications-for-813-uk-graduate-banking-jobs-in-2013/
Original post by cashcash871
Why not just apply for internships? Banking grad schemes have 135 applicants per place...
http://news.efinancialcareers.com/uk-en/145753/110000-applications-for-813-uk-graduate-banking-jobs-in-2013/
Yeah and think about the proportion of those applicants that have done piss poor preparation for their applications and or are generally just weaker candidates.
Original post by Terry Tibbs
Yeah and think about the proportion of those applicants that have done piss poor preparation for their applications and or are generally just weaker candidates.

Correct. Things like numerical tests actually cut off a high number of candidates.

And the reason why people aren't applying to internships is because they can't.

I'm entering a 12 month masters. It is physically impossible for me to do an internship, I'd have to enter a grad scheme or off cycle internship. The latter are very hard to get on as they are based on demand at the time which is dynamic/fluctuates year on year, month on month.
Original post by Princepieman
The spots will be sooooo limited for you guys, good luck anyway though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol crushing people's dreams from the first post
Original post by CompSciMath
Correct. Things like numerical tests actually cut off a high number of candidates.

And the reason why people aren't applying to internships is because they can't.

I'm entering a 12 month masters. It is physically impossible for me to do an internship, I'd have to enter a grad scheme or off cycle internship. The latter are very hard to get on as they are based on demand at the time which is dynamic/fluctuates year on year, month on month.

It is entirely possible to do a summer internship at your stage. Something you should really know, if you're serious about this.

I'm not bothering with addressing your posts themselves as they're mostly inaccurate and targeted towards myself rather than a discussion involving others.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
just to clarify, internship over grads.. what the hell am I gonna do for a whole year after my internship? (Given that best case scenario I get an internship and convert it...) are people taking gap year?
just to clarify, internship over grads.. what the hell am I gonna do for a whole year after my internship? (Given that best case scenario I get an internship and convert it...) are people taking gap year?

Sometimes you get placed in the same grad class of that year, depends on the bank. I'd probably ask HR about that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Varies from bank to bank. It is highly team dependent.

Some will let you start immediately, some will let you start a couple of months after, some it is a wait until January/February start and others make you wait the whole year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Any idea which banks allow you to apply for summers if you are going into final year and don't plan to do a masters?
Reply 33
Apart from Goldman and Greenhill (opens Mid-August I believe?), when do most of them generally open?

From looking at a few to me it look's like they open early to mid September and close about November-ish?
Original post by SJU1
Any idea which banks allow you to apply for summers if you are going into final year and don't plan to do a masters?

AFAIK, GS/MS/Citi/JPM/CS have all taken on final years in their off cycle internship and summer internship programmes before

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there anything useful to be doing at this stage before most applications open? How can one prep for these?
Hi everyone. Any idea when applications open for JP Morgan's IB Analyst program?
Original post by economist16
Is there anything useful to be doing at this stage before most applications open? How can one prep for these?

networking is always of use
Any banks opening on Aug 1st?
Reply 39
According to efin today, the list of banks accepting applications now are:Goldman Sachs (been open for awhile)JP MorganMorgan StanleyUBSCredit Suisse (appears, from my looking to be only continental Europe)Deadlines seem to vary, some of JP Morgan's positions deadline is the 1st of Jan.However, think I read somewhere that BB's tend to think that those who apply as early as possible tend to be the most ambitious, driven and highest achieving (for obvious reasons)>
Would be interesting to know what people are applying toGood Luck!

Quick Reply

Latest