The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

“When there is money in your hand and not in your heart, it will not harm you even if it is a lot; and when it is in your heart, it will harm you even if there is none in your hands.”

[Imam Ibn al Qayyim Al-Jawziyyah RahimahuAllah]
“Beware of every hour and how it passes, and only spend it in the best possible way, do not neglect yourself, but render it accustomed to the noblest and best of actions, and send to your grave that which will please you when you arrive to it.”

Anyone else have an extreme phobia of flying ? I have to travel next month inshAllah, and am pretty scared. I hate take-off etc.

My flight is 13 hours as well, inshAllah.
Original post by Incredible97
“Beware of every hour and how it passes, and only spend it in the best possible way, do not neglect yourself, but render it accustomed to the noblest and best of actions, and send to your grave that which will please you when you arrive to it.”

Where do you get these quotes from ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tawheed
Anyone else have an extreme phobia of flying ? I have to travel next month inshAllah, and am pretty scared. I hate take-off etc.

Everything will go well Insha'Allah, although long flights are the worst.

I'd recommend not getting a window seat and to get up every hour or so to stretch.

13 hours is pretty long. Where are you going, the far east?
Original post by Tawheed

I was gonna write a motivational speech about conquering your fears, then I thought you can just take a sleeping pill instead before take off :tongue:

In all seriousness, try to keep yourself occupied throughout your journey as it will act as a distraction from your surroundings. Take a book, handheld game, download videos/games on phone, get a load of snacks, have a chat with people, keep your belt on most of the times, and get a window seat- they're usually the best.

Should anything happen- it's extremely unlikely it will, compose yourself and listen to instructions carefully. Panicking will only make things ten times worse.

And above all, have tawakkul and make dua to Allah (SWT) to make it easy for you. Praying 2 nafl before leaving the house also makes me feel more at ease.

"...And whoever places his trust in Allah, Sufficient is He for him, for Allah will surely accomplish His Purpose: For verily, Allah has appointed for all things a due proportion." (Qur’an 65:3)

Woah 13 hrs that's long. I would not be able to stay in my seat for that long lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tawheed
This is my own analogy, based off a story i had heard. I am not quoting the story word for word or claiming anyone said it, but the meaning is preserved:.
it is the famous story of the judgement of Salomon http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt09a03.htm#16 in Bible 1 Kings 3

it's an old folk tale, perhaps of Indian origin : interestingly, the two women mentioned in Solomon's tale are prostitutes
Original post by HAnwar
I was gonna write a motivational speech about conquering your fears, then I thought you can just take a sleeping pill instead before take off :tongue:

In all seriousness, try to keep yourself occupied throughout your journey as it will act as a distraction from your surroundings. Take a book, handheld game, download videos/games on phone, get a load of snacks, have a chat with people, keep your belt on most of the times, and get a window seat- they're usually the best.

Should anything happen- it's extremely unlikely it will, compose yourself and listen to instructions carefully. Panicking will only make things ten times worse.

And above all, have tawakkul and make dua to Allah (SWT) to make it easy for you. Praying 2 nafl before leaving the house also makes me feel more at ease.

"...And whoever places his trust in Allah, Sufficient is He for him, for Allah will surely accomplish His Purpose: For verily, Allah has appointed for all things a due proportion." (Qur’an 65:3)

Woah 13 hrs that's long. I would not be able to stay in my seat for that long lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I actually enjoy flying and stick my face into the windows even at takeoff and landing, you get to see amazing sights.
Its sad they don't have bigger windows.
Reply 368
Original post by Tawheed

I like it. But I am also amazed at the take-offs and landings. I love to sit at the window seat. :biggrin:

Don't worry too much about it, just keep your trust in Allah swt.

Recommend you to read this dua before travels and journeys:

“All praise and thanks be to Allah, Who has subjected this to us
when we could never have it by our own efforts and verily, to
our Lord we shall return.”

13 hours, good luck! Whenever my dad goes to the far east alone, he hates it. So I believe you are traveling to Malaysia. Enjoy your time there insha'Allah.

May Allah grant you a safe journey. Ameen.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 369
حَدَّثَنَا عُثْمَانُ بْنُ أَبِي شَيْبَةَ، حَدَّثَنَا جَرِيرٌ، عَنِ الأَعْمَشِ، عَنْ أَبِي صَالِحٍ، عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ، قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏"‏ لاَ تَحَاسُدَ إِلاَّ فِي اثْنَتَيْنِ رَجُلٌ آتَاهُ اللَّهُ الْقُرْآنَ، فَهْوَ يَتْلُوهُ آنَاءَ اللَّيْلِ وَالنَّهَارِ يَقُولُ لَوْ أُوتِيتُ مِثْلَ مَا أُوتِيَ هَذَا لَفَعَلْتُ كَمَا يَفْعَلُ، وَرَجُلٌ آتَاهُ اللَّهُ مَالاً يُنْفِقُهُ فِي حَقِّهِ فَيَقُولُ لَوْ أُوتِيتُ مِثْلَ مَا أُوتِيَ لَفَعَلْتُ كَمَا يَفْعَلُ ‏"
‏‏.‏
حَدَّثَنَا قُتَيْبَةُ، حَدَّثَنَا جَرِيرٌ، بِهَذَا‏.‏

Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said, "Not to wish to be the like except of two men. A man whom Allah has given the (knowledge of the) Qur'an and he recites it during the hours of night and day and the one who wishes says: If I were given the same as this (man) has been given, I would do what he does, and a man whom Allah has given wealth and he spends it in the just and right way, in which case the one who wishes says, 'If I were given the same as he has been given, I would do what he does.' " (See Hadith 5025 and 5026)

Sahih Bukhari
(Wishes)
Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 7232
In-book reference : Book 94, Hadith 7
[video="youtube;wOGyIHJmQHo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOGyIHJmQHo[/video]SubhanAllah
Reply 372
Original post by Zamestaneh

Prsom, SubhanAllah. Why did it make me feel as if I am hearing it for the first time? :cry2:
Original post by h333
Prsom, SubhanAllah. Why did it make me feel as if I am hearing it for the first time? :cry2:

The recitation makes us not just hear it, but feel it also, SubhanAllah :redface:
Praising people is disliked and some of us are guilty of it.

حَدَّثَنَا أَحْمَدُ بْنُ يُونُسَ، حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو شِهَابٍ، عَنْ خَالِدٍ الْحَذَّاءِ، عَنْ عَبْدِ الرَّحْمَنِ بْنِ أَبِي بَكْرَةَ، عَنْ أَبِيهِ، أَنَّ رَجُلاً، أَثْنَى عَلَى رَجُلٍ عِنْدَ النَّبِيِّ صلى الله عليه وسلم فَقَالَ لَهُ ‏"‏ قَطَعْتَ عُنُقَ صَاحِبِكَ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ ثَلاَثَ مَرَّاتٍ ثُمَّ قَالَ ‏"‏ إِذَا مَدَحَ أَحَدُكُمْ صَاحِبَهُ لاَ مَحَالَةَ فَلْيَقُلْ إِنِّي أَحْسِبُهُ كَمَا يُرِيدُ أَنْ يَقُولَ وَلاَ أُزَكِّيهِ عَلَى اللَّهِ ‏"‏ ‏.‏

Abu Bakrah said that when a man praised another man in his face in the presence of the Prophet (ﷺ) said :

You have beheaded your friend (saying it three times). He then said: One who cannot help expressing praise of his companion, should say: I consider him such and such (as he intends to say), but I do not declare him pure with Allah.
Original post by Al-farhan
I actually enjoy flying and stick my face into the windows even at takeoff and landing, you get to see amazing sights.
Its sad they don't have bigger windows.

Yeah same, take off is actually quite fun.
The world looks so tiny SubhanAllah.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Leukocyte
Praising people is disliked and some of us are guilty of it.

حَدَّثَنَا أَحْمَدُ بْنُ يُونُسَ، حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو شِهَابٍ، عَنْ خَالِدٍ الْحَذَّاءِ، عَنْ عَبْدِ الرَّحْمَنِ بْنِ أَبِي بَكْرَةَ، عَنْ أَبِيهِ، أَنَّ رَجُلاً، أَثْنَى عَلَى رَجُلٍ عِنْدَ النَّبِيِّ صلى الله عليه وسلم فَقَالَ لَهُ ‏"‏ قَطَعْتَ عُنُقَ صَاحِبِكَ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ ثَلاَثَ مَرَّاتٍ ثُمَّ قَالَ ‏"‏ إِذَا مَدَحَ أَحَدُكُمْ صَاحِبَهُ لاَ مَحَالَةَ فَلْيَقُلْ إِنِّي أَحْسِبُهُ كَمَا يُرِيدُ أَنْ يَقُولَ وَلاَ أُزَكِّيهِ عَلَى اللَّهِ ‏"‏ ‏.‏

Abu Bakrah said that when a man praised another man in his face in the presence of the Prophet (ﷺ) said :

You have beheaded your friend (saying it three times). He then said: One who cannot help expressing praise of his companion, should say: I consider him such and such (as he intends to say), but I do not declare him pure with Allah.

True.
I once read of a story when someone came to Umar ra praising so and so.
How long his sujuud is how his prayer is so beautiful..etc.
Then Umar asks him have you experienced him through his dealings with coin?
The man says no.
To which Umar replies you truly don't know a man till you see how he behaves when money is involved.
Original post by HAnwar
Yeah same, take off is actually quite fun.
The world looks so tiny SubhanAllah.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea subhanAllah.
It shows how truly insignificant we are in reality despite our inflated egos.
Original post by Al-farhan
Yea subhanAllah.
It shows how truly insignificant we are in reality despite our inflated egos.

Well put :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AlifunArnab
Everything will go well Insha'Allah, although long flights are the worst.

I'd recommend not getting a window seat and to get up every hour or so to stretch.

13 hours is pretty long. Where are you going, the far east?

JazakAllah khayr for this, truly appreciate it., and inshAllah !

I'm flying to Malaysia inshAllah, and i hate transiting so this will be a direct flight there. I'm thinking of getting an aisle seat.

Original post by HAnwar

Posted from TSR Mobile

JazakAllah khayr for all of this advice sister! Thank you so so much! I guess at the end of the day, it is important to just have tawakkul and know that when your day is written, you could be up 40,000 feet or in a park and still die.

Latest