The Student Room Group

Can you do an intensive driving course after having lessons?

I have been having one driving lesson a week since February, and I have recently got a car, so I am desperate to pass my test. I am wondering whether I could do an intensive course (I may not need a full week) to pass my test quicker?
Reply 1
You could put the L plates on and go driving with your parents or someone with 3 years full license.

The only issue is no dual controls, so you need to be pretty confident in the car. I mean in 4-5 months time you can be reasonably confident to drive safely on main roads, the higher speed you travel at the more confidence you build. You should try out dual carriageways, if you feel confident in your merging ability. Remember when merging always check your mirror and blind spot and merge in one gear lower than the cruising gear for the dual carriageway (so usually 4th gear merge).

I mean the 3 main issues I find learners struggle with is merging at high speed, hill balance and entering roundabouts quickly. Maybe you should practise these.

I'm a pretty experienced driver and merging is still one of the trickiest things you can do. The main problem is if you are travelling at high speed and no one is letting you in, these people are idiots. That's why it's always safer to merge in 1 gear lower, so the stall speed of the car is dramatically lower if no one lets you in. I mean you don't want to be messing with gears when merging at high speed.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by emilyturner98
I have been having one driving lesson a week since February, and I have recently got a car, so I am desperate to pass my test. I am wondering whether I could do an intensive course (I may not need a full week) to pass my test quicker?

Naturally
I feel like its doeable but I also wouldn't rush it, keep in mind even if you do an intensive course you still need to pass your theory and wait 6+ weeks for the test, why not do the theory and book your test now for the next available date and tell your instructor you want to move a bit faster with your learning?
Hi there I work for a driving school that does intensive courses and sure anyone can do an intensive driving course as long as they have a UK Provisional driving Licence.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending