The Student Room Group

Cover versions better than the original

Disturbed's cover of The Sound of Silence (original by Simon and Garfunkel) is polarising opinions, but I prefer it. So I was thinking what other cover versions are better than the original?

Stereophonics - Handbags and Gladrags (originally Chris Farlowe, although Rod Stewart gets an honourable mention here as well)
Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah (originally Leonard Cohen)
Placebo - Running Up That Hill ( originally Kate Bush)

Any more?*

Scroll to see replies

Girls Aloud did quite well with Jump I thought.
And I preferred the Tee remix of The Corrs' cover of Dreams
Whitney Houston - I will always love you
Johnny Cash - Hurt
Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World
(edited 7 years ago)
Lemonheads - Mrs Robinson (Simon and Garfunkel)
Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower (Bob Dylan)
Birdy - People Help The People (Cherry Ghost)
Reply 6
Amy Winehouse - Valerie (The Zutons)
Led Zeppelin - Almost every song
Gabrielle Aplin - The Power of Love (Frankie Goes to Hollywood)
Marilyn Manson - Sweet Dreams (Eurythmics)
Gary Jules - Mad World (Tears for Fears)
(edited 7 years ago)
This
[video="youtube;Kuz3DUNZaC8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuz3DUNZaC8[/video]
Eva Cassidy - over the rainbow

Willie Nelson - always on my mind

Dolly Parton > Whitney Houston by the way.
Reply 9
[video="youtube;H4rYaLBUpLA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4rYaLBUpLA[/video]
Also this
Original post by minimarshmallow
Stereophonics - Handbags and Gladrags (originally Chris Farlowe, although Rod Stewart gets an honourable mention here as well)

Out of all the different versions of Handbags and Gladrags the version by Big George is the best.
[video="youtube;RvA3q0ZU-NQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvA3q0ZU-NQ[/video]
Sinead O'Connor's nothing compares 2 u:

*Sees thread title*

First thing that came to my mind was Disturbed's version of Sound of Silence and the OP posted it :thumbsup:

Would Noel Gallagher's Performance of Wonderwall be considered a cover, given that Liam would normally sing it?
Ozzy - All The Young Dudes (Mott the Hoople)
Ozzy FT. Kelly Osbourne - Changes (Black Sabbath) Hehe, this is very sly one to throw in because Ozzy sang the original as well.
One Ok Rock - Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana)
Fergie - Barracuda (Heart)
Sabaton - For Whom The Bell Tolls (Metallica) although I prefer the bass intro of the original more than the guitar intro in the cover.

That's about as far as my covers go really...
Reply 14
Are there any decent covers of Wonderwall? I would love to hear one. I've heard so many covers but there seems to be nothing better than the original.
Marilyn Manson - Tainted Love
Marilyn Manson - Personal Jesus
Within Temptation - Radioactive
Within Temptation - Paradise
Paradise Lost - Small Town Boy
Avril Lavigne - Basketcase
Tonight Alive - Little Lion Man
PVRIS - Chandelier
Rascal Flatts - Life Is A Highway
Original post by minimarshmallow
Disturbed's cover of The Sound of Silence (original by Simon and Garfunkel) is polarising opinions, but I prefer it. So I was thinking what other cover versions are better than the original?

Disturbed's cover of land of confusion is better than the Genesis original... but Genesis had the better video - for extra points see how many puppets of people who are now dead can you spot?

Jeff Buckley - I Know Its Over (The Smiths) I love The Smiths but I found Buckley's version to be more captivating although both versions are amazing :love:

Jeff Buckley - If You See Her Say Hello (Bob Dylan) - I've never liked Bob Dylan as a singer but he is a brilliant lyricist. Jeff made the song his own.

The Killers - Shadowplay (Joy Division) JD are my favourite band but I was never really keen on Shadowplay. I think the song works better with The Killers more lively tech feel to it.

Johnny Cash - Solitary Man (Neil Diamond) HIM done a good cover of the song too but Johnny's version will always be my favourite

Eva Cassidy - Fields Of Gold (Sting) her version was a lot more simple but so much more emotional and heartfelt
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I think the Johnny Cash version of "It ain't me babe" is better than the original by Bob Dylan. *
[video="youtube;h1l4pDXbkic"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1l4pDXbkic[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest