The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Rowing

Hi,
will possibly be starting at Warwick this October and was wondering about rowing.

Just started getting into rowing about two weeks ago and am looking to train for the next 11ish weeks until october to get good enough to hopefully make the rowing training programme at warwick.

Just wanted to ask what sort of selections they have to determine who's good enough and what sort of times I'd need to be hitting for 2k / 5k to be in with a reasonable chance?

Thanks, any advice much appreciated
Original post by mpaterson
Hi,
will possibly be starting at Warwick this October and was wondering about rowing.

Just started getting into rowing about two weeks ago and am looking to train for the next 11ish weeks until october to get good enough to hopefully make the rowing training programme at warwick.

Just wanted to ask what sort of selections they have to determine who's good enough and what sort of times I'd need to be hitting for 2k / 5k to be in with a reasonable chance?

Thanks, any advice much appreciated

I tried out to be a rower last year and I must say the programme is very intense. They'll take anyone initially, however, you're put through a training regime that isnt for the faint of heart! It means very early mornings and skipping nights out at least!
Great fun though.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by thehistorybore
I tried out to be a rower last year and I must say the programme is very intense. They'll take anyone initially, however, you're put through a training regime that isnt for the faint of heart! It means very early mornings and skipping nights out at least!
Great fun though.

Thanks! exactly the kind of advice I was looking for.
Hopefully I'll manage to stick it out.
Reply 3
Hi there,

I've just graduated, and rowed for Warwick in first and 3rd year. At the start of every year there's some sort of test to cut you down to about 24ish. About 110 people show interest, and I'm not sure how many actually try out. A large number of those. In my first year we did a 1km rate 24 test. I got a time of 3:12, but I think if you got 3:30 to 3:40 you would have made the cutoff.

We've had different coaches, each with their own method. You'll be good if you can do a 6:40 2k. Although it depends on your weight. If you're 95kg+ you'll want to be more like 6:30ish. If you're 75kg you'll be good around 7:00. The scores are weight adjusted.

I wrote this article about on the Warwick Rowing Blog in my second year. It went down well and I hope it'll help you too.

Good luck
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Revi
Hi there,

I've just graduated, and rowed for Warwick in first and 3rd year. At the start of every year there's some sort of test to cut you down to about 24ish. About 110 people show interest, and I'm not sure how many actually try out. A large number of those. In my first year we did a 1km rate 24 test. I got a time of 3:12, but I think if you got 3:30 to 3:40 you would have made the cutoff.

We've had different coaches, each with their own method. You'll be good if you can do a 6:40 2k. Although it depends on your weight. If you're 95kg+ you'll want to be more like 6:30ish. If you're 75kg you'll be good around 7:00. The scores are weight adjusted.

I wrote this article about on the Warwick Rowing Blog in my second year. It went down well and I hope it'll help you too.

Good luck

Hi thanks for the reply, was excellent!
will definitely get sub 3:30 1k and hopefully by october will make a 6:50 2k (77kg) so that's reassuring.

Quick Reply

Latest